Light Review Of The Caanoo

aesir911 said:
i added the dingoo, because there is a large percentage of users on here who love the dingoo and hate the wiz. so i thought i would compare the dingoo to the new caanoo. plus they are basically the same devices, whereas a phone is pushing it.

I actually only added the iPhone as an opportunity to take the p1ss out of it's call dropping problems ;)

My point with the Dingoo is that at twice the price the Caanoo should really be twice as good - much better build quality, much more powerful etc. I'm not knocking the Caanoo, I just think the Dingoo is punching well above it's weight even being mentioned in the same breath.

john

Last edited by a moderator:
Screen:
Caanoo - 8/10
Wiz - 3/10
Dingoo - 2/10

Stopped reading right there. Are you being serious right now? O_O
The WIZ's screen looks beautiful, no way it deserves a 3 out of 10...

Nupfi said:
Screen:
Caanoo - 8/10
Wiz - 3/10
Dingoo - 2/10

Stopped reading right there. Are you being serious right now? O_O
The WIZ's screen looks beautiful, no way it deserves a 3 out of 10...

screen, not display.

Nupfi said:
And the difference is...? :huh:

He's going by how the touch screen works.
The Caanoo touchscreen is a lot better than the Wiz touchscreen.
The Caanoo display is larger than the Wiz touchscreen, but not as brilliant. It does great for just playing retro games though.

RupeeClock said:
Nupfi said:

The Caanoo display is larger than the Wiz touchscreen, but not as brilliant. It does great for just playing retro games though.

Or maybe he's going by whether or not the caanoo screen is a delicate piece of junk.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
RupeeClock said:
Nupfi said:

Or maybe he's going by whether or not the caanoo screen is a delicate piece of junk.

yes to rupee... and no to the troll.

What makes the Dingoo the best is, it's soo small. It has Radio, Xvid, Mp3 and Emus build in. And Dingux makes it even more better.

It fits in every jacket.

aesir911 said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:
RupeeClock said:
Nupfi said:

yes to rupee... and no to the troll.

I'm not trolling - I owned a wiz. It's got a very nice looking screen that's about as durable as a wet piece of paper that's attempting to be a hammock for a tank.

aesir911 said:
wow... just wow. if you are going to attack me, first ask questions and then attack me. because i found flaws in everyone of your feeble attacks. anyways, i rate the dingoo higher than the wiz for first emulator because it is cheaper and easier to use for first time users. the wiz screen had lots of tearing issues, problems with emulating, and the touch screen activation was horrible (although the quality of the pictures was amazing). I rate the dingoo higher than the wiz on almost everything because EXTERNALLY I like it better than the wiz. remember that i am not comparing hardware, emulating possibilities, fan base, etc. as for your next attack, whether you realize it or not, you agree with me! and then i guess the wiz just fit your hands better than it did mine, the dingoo felt alot better.

Attacks? Nah, no attacks, i'm just not always as subtle or diplomatic as i could be, i still disagree strongly with you though, the only thing i agree on, is the statement that the Dingoo is cheaper, saying that the Dingoo is easier to use is quite frankly baffling me, sure, it comes with installed with emulators, but most of those emulators are of questionable quality, and the most useful apps require Dingux, which is a lot more complex to install then just unzipping an archive & dropping it onto an SD card.

When it comes to installing apps on the Wiz, the most complex part is that you drop games and such into the 'game' directory if they have an .ini file, if they don't, you have to use the 'launcher' to start them instead of the other menu choice, that's pretty much the difficulty grade of the Wiz (and i'd assume it's similar for the Caanoo)

The Wiz had lots of tearing issues, most of these if not all have been resolved through the respective emulators (basically by rotating the screen if i remember correctly), the touchscreen functionality is dodgy, true, but it's pretty much unused anyways, and when comparing to the Dingoo this point is moot as the Dingoo has has no touchscreen, as for problems with emulating, i'd like to know what the hell you mean by that? Hell, we just got a PSX emulator for the Wiz and you're saying it has (or had, as in, the past? In that case your point is moot in a current day comparison) emulating problems compared to the Dingoo? :|

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
I'm not trolling - I owned a wiz. It's got a very nice looking screen that's about as durable as a wet piece of paper that's attempting to be a hammock for a tank.

Pro-Tip: Don't drop delicate equipment

Amon_Re said:
aesir911 said:
wow... just wow. if you are going to attack me, first ask questions and then attack me. because i found flaws in everyone of your feeble attacks. anyways, i rate the dingoo higher than the wiz for first emulator because it is cheaper and easier to use for first time users. the wiz screen had lots of tearing issues, problems with emulating, and the touch screen activation was horrible (although the quality of the pictures was amazing). I rate the dingoo higher than the wiz on almost everything because EXTERNALLY I like it better than the wiz. remember that i am not comparing hardware, emulating possibilities, fan base, etc. as for your next attack, whether you realize it or not, you agree with me! and then i guess the wiz just fit your hands better than it did mine, the dingoo felt alot better.

Attacks? Nah, no attacks, i'm just not always as subtle or diplomatic as i could be, i still disagree strongly with you though, the only thing i agree on, is the statement that the Dingoo is cheaper, saying that the Dingoo is easier to use is quite frankly baffling me, sure, it comes with installed with emulators, but most of those emulators are of questionable quality, and the most useful apps require Dingux, which is a lot more complex to install then just unzipping an archive & dropping it onto an SD card.

When it comes to installing apps on the Wiz, the most complex part is that you drop games and such into the 'game' directory if they have an .ini file, if they don't, you have to use the 'launcher' to start them instead of the other menu choice, that's pretty much the difficulty grade of the Wiz (and i'd assume it's similar for the Caanoo)

The Wiz had lots of tearing issues, most of these if not all have been resolved through the respective emulators (basically by rotating the screen if i remember correctly), the touchscreen functionality is dodgy, true, but it's pretty much unused anyways, and when comparing to the Dingoo this point is moot as the Dingoo has has no touchscreen, as for problems with emulating, i'd like to know what the hell you mean by that? Hell, we just got a PSX emulator for the Wiz and you're saying it has (or had, as in, the past? In that case your point is moot in a current day comparison) emulating problems compared to the Dingoo? :|

ha ha, yeah i can get pretty argumentative too. i guess we have reached that point though where it just comes down to personal opinion, so i'm out of this argument.

this tux the hedgehog guy sounds like he works for GPH and is promoting the caanoo. this review has some fishy elements, but saying the caanoo's lcd could be better than the wiz's oled either means he got a defective wiz or is astroturfing.

klikklak said:
Overexaggeration probably, but hardly astroturfing with 400+ posts.
well no he's not astroturfing but i just wanted to troll him a bit for how he trolled the wiz

orthicviper said:
this tux the hedgehog guy sounds like he works for GPH and is promoting the caanoo. this review has some fishy elements, but saying the caanoo's lcd could be better than the wiz's oled either means he got a defective wiz or is astroturfing.
yeah dude, i get paid 5 billion a day for promoting their device. no, i'm just more of a fan of lcd than oled (till they improve it a bit more).

I thought your review was quite good. Covered all the issues without too much fluff.

Ive been on the fence about replacing my f100 with something new. I liked the Wiz concept but didnt like screen-tearing and OLED issues.
While I would've liked more horsepower, the Caanoo looks like a good fit. Not too expensive, some new features over the f100 and good build quality.
The only thing lacking now is dev' support, something like Ginge working on Caanoo would make it an insta-buy (tm).

I'll have to count out my coin jar and see if it buys me a new gadget.

Got my Caanoo few days ago.
I am really loving it right now.
The GP32-alike shape, feeling when I get it my hands
Cool joypad (feels great, though I have to get used to it)
Big clear screen with no tearing

Yes, now I understand about the review of the shoulder-pads. I didn't expectem like this. But it's not still as bad and you get used to it and I could play some game that requires them and it went nicely. I have harder time to get used to the joypad (because I was playing so much with the pad in wiz and got used to it), which though I like as feeling.

Also, I love everything here.
The USB thing is cool. I can stick a random USB stick and it's reads it. So cool!
The g-meter thing works but I wait for apps making a better use of it.
The volume, funny. It's like a slider/software mix. Because if you slide from full to zero volume for example, you wait a little and the sound fades. It's not directly mechanical.
Mame no overclock for the moment (and street fighter and most of the recent stuff I play is slow with 533). I'd really like to see the overclock soon to see what are the limits of this device (In my wiz it was 800, so with this one I hope I get more)
Gotta set the devtools and find an example with makefile because mine didn't work and I don't know much about linix logic :p

Ok,. it's a good wiz improvement. If I get used to the stick, everything else is great.

Back