Li'l Trooper

Magnulus said:
So I was wondering if anyone was interested in sort of rebooting Li'l Trooper now, more than a year later... If you're at all interested, I have some builds we made during the days of early development for you to check out...

I also have all the code lying around. But no time to work on it. It's C++ OOP code. But someone needs to pull it trough valgrind, as there is some wierd memory bug which cases an segfault somewhere.

(I do have some time to work on stuff, but I found that it is not enough to work on 'multi people projects')

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
I'm up for some collab work if someone would care to bring me up to speed on things. :)
Awesome!
Daid can probably send you the sourcecode, but we might be best off just going from the latest executable builds since, as he said, there's a bit of a bug to it. Not a programmer, though, so I don't know about that for sure. The best way to do this might be to discuss it via IM. I'll send you my details.

Magnulus said:
PokeParadox said:
I'm up for some collab work if someone would care to bring me up to speed on things. :)
Awesome!
Daid can probably send you the sourcecode, but we might be best off just going from the latest executable builds since, as he said, there's a bit of a bug to it. Not a programmer, though, so I don't know about that for sure. The best way to do this might be to discuss it via IM. I'll send you my details.

Latest exe also has that bug, but you never noticed it ;) (because the part related to it was disabled)

For the current status, this is what I have:
-Human controllable player (the red guy)
-Dumb AI (same character as player, but doing random actions)
-A grapling hook.
-A box that falls, and can be pulled with the grapling hook, but sometimes the forces go haywire and everyhing jumps all over the screen.
-Bullits, you can shoot&kill the enemies.
-A compleetly stupid&limited map editor in VB6

If you would limit the maximum force on the box, and add some configuration for the playerstart and enemies, then you could have yourself something playable in notime. If the segfault bug starts to come up again, then I'm willing to search for that one. (Might have fixed it, but I broke it, so I'll better fix it)

Daid said:
For the current status, this is what I have:
-Human controllable player (the red guy)
-Dumb AI (same character as player, but doing random actions)
-A grapling hook.
-A box that falls, and can be pulled with the grapling hook, but sometimes the forces go haywire and everyhing jumps all over the screen.
-Bullits, you can shoot&kill the enemies.
-A compleetly stupid&limited map editor in VB6

If you would limit the maximum force on the box, and add some configuration for the playerstart and enemies, then you could have yourself something playable in notime. If the segfault bug starts to come up again, then I'm willing to search for that one. (Might have fixed it, but I broke it, so I'll better fix it)
Oh my lord! A box to pull?! You never showed me this! Gief file!!
Come to think of it, feel free to put the GP2X executable right in the thread. I'm sure we're all interested in seeing what it looks like in the present state.

http://daid.mine.nu/pub/Li'l%20Trooper.rar

I hope it works, as I did not test it on my GP2x. The windows compile worked fine, and I just use basic SDL functions so I don't think it will cause any problems.

You'll notice that there will be a lot of blue guys falling to there death. And then leave red guys as bodies behind. This is mainly because the blue guys are just a quick hack, Magnulus made different sprites for those, but I just used the same as the red guys :p so there lies some work there.

Awesome work, man. It works quite well on the GP2X. The grappler is quite good, too. Mostly behaves like I would want it to.

I guess what we need is to expand the editor and stuff like that so we can place characters and items in specific areas. And AI. And more grappler features. And weapons. Aaaaand traps. And bosses. More enemies. More death animations. And polish. And some proper levels... But other than that, we're basically done! ^_^

Since you are adding simple physics, how about some simple objects to interact with aswell? Might be a little hard considering that it would be easier using floatpoint math but it's possible I guess. Some basic mechanics maybe. Think "little big world" on a smaller scale.

xnopasaranx said:
Since you are adding simple physics, how about some simple objects to interact with aswell? Might be a little hard considering that it would be easier using floatpoint math but it's possible I guess. Some basic mechanics maybe. Think "little big world" on a smaller scale.
Oh, we're way ahead of ya! :D
We are thinking of objects (like the box in Daid's build) to include for the sake of making the game more varied than a straight platformer. If we can manage to do half of the stuff I -want- to do, I think we have a really unique game on our hands.

Right now, I'm just waiting for Pokeparadox to finish rewriting the code to a standard similar to Daid's latest build. I would work on a design doc while I was waiting for that, but just like him, I'm super busy these days. He with work and me with university. I feel confident that we'll be able to come up with something, though.

Back