Linux Distro Flavor? Conservative Or Progressist?

timofonic

GP Mafia
Hello.

I personally use Gentoo, I like it while isn't perfect at all. I like the lack of package frozen and the flexibility of ebuilds, but maybe that isn't a distribution suited for relatively embedded systems like Pandora. Maybe if using distcc...

So the official distro will be based on Debian? Will the Pandora's distro be "conservative" or "progressist"? I mean about using just the really tested software or going by the usual geek way of using the lastest software like the latest Linux kernel available and such. Debian is known of having outdated software due to the package froze way (stable/testing and such) and too many political stuff about including certain packages.

I personally like to use the latest software, specially the kernel.

Regards.

I love Sabayon, but my current computer requires a newer version of X11 (emerge is awesome). I like Fedora, but SUSE is still my favorite due to its fullness and power. I'm pretty conservative, although I have tried pretty much every distro out there. Once I'm in a happy, comfortable environment, I usually try something else, but this time I feel like I'm staying.

I hate gentoo. For instance on the PS3 they are using an extremely experimental gcc that is buggy. How can you trust it?
Your OS should be trusted and stable, having something optimized at any price is not the right thing to do...

At least that's my personal point of view :)

Well, you should try Gentoo on your main machine then. I use Gentoo as well, and everything is rock solid. The only trouble I have is when I upgrade my kernel version, but that's because kernel upgrades are generally difficult anyway if you do it by hand like this. :p

Debian would be just wrong. The way they scatter configuration, the packaging, there really isn't anything about it that lends itself to embedding. Much easier to trim down an rpm based distro. I doubt gentoo embedded is exactly ready for prime time either. The reasons people want it to be dbian are the same reasons it probably won't be debian.

Sphinxter said:
Debian would be just wrong. The way they scatter configuration, the packaging, there really isn't anything about it that lends itself to embedding. Much easier to trim down an rpm based distro.
Eh, you're comparing apples to oranges there. Debian itself probably isn't the right way to go, yes, but there's nothing wrong with debian packages. The package formats are very similar, and as far as the end user is concerned, the only difference is in RPM being slower to parse for dependencies (since dependencies are done by file instead of by package). There's nothing preventing you from changing the directory structure in either.

In any case, is there some good ARM distribution that uses RPM packages? None on wikipedia's list both support ARM and RPM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back