Linux Users- Which Distro Do You Use??

Which Linux distro do yuou at the moment??

• Red Hat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fedora Core

• Gentoo

• Mandrake

• Debian

• Suse

• Slackware

• Knoppix

• Other....

• Total voters

Thanks for the info :) I had Caldera Open Linux a long time back and it was ok, but Partition Magic can be really effective at messing your PC up. I think I'll pick up a cheapo HD somewhere...

Parition Magic is a worthless waste of harddrive space, its pure and utter TRASH. It has killed more paritions of mine than I can count.

I do simple actions on my paritions, and many times they result in corrupted paritions, I have done this on many PCs, many different Parition Magic versions (including the latest) with many different harddrives and OS versions. The results have always been the same, corrupted paritions. It will start to perform its action, error, and then the partition will die.

I actually just had this happen, AGAIN YESTERDAY!, it killed 2 paritions on my sisters boyfriends harddrive when doing this very thing! We were going to manually parition for mandrake, ended up having to compeltely remove and format the offending partitions.

Do not use Partition Magic!!!!!!!! It is very very bad!

DO use BootIt NG.. It is a fantastic program. You can download it for free and write it to a bootable CD. I've used it to manage my partitions and it has always functioned flawlessly. The only problem is that it appears to use your BIOS to access the harddrive, so it requires your BIOS to recognize your HDD.. Not a problem for most people, but it is for me.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

DO use BootIt NG.. It is a fantastic program. You can download it for free and write it to a bootable CD. I've used it to manage my partitions and it has always functioned flawlessly. The only problem is that it appears to use your BIOS to access the harddrive, so it requires your BIOS to recognize your HDD.. Not a problem for most people, but it is for me.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
Looks interesting, next time I need to do some paritioning like that I will use it per recommendation. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
rcx21000 posted on May 28 2004 at 09:12 PM said:
Gentoo :D

And I'm going to install whatever distro can actually detect my laptop's HW first. The problem is mostly the Wi-Fi (PCMIA) card, all the live CD's say that they don't recognise it. If I could just find out how to put a driver on to a live CD (I've found the right driver, need to put it on), I will be able to get on the internet, and do an install from there.
Why not install the thing without wi-fi support, then install the driver afterwards...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cuz you can only do a stage 3 install w/o being connected to the internet. And reinstalling would mean deleting all the files (including the driver?). But I guess stage 3 shouldn't be too much slower, I'll try that.

Back