Little John GP Sources?

Makenai

Not to be a stickler or anything, but where are the sources for this new emu? We should get them up somewhere public for a little peer review.

Hm.. couldn't find an actual link - but in Yoyo's message he does himself say open source, so I guess he will get around to putting it up eventually. Just got a bit worried when I saw it was based on Nofrendo (GPL emu) and no information on how to obtain the source.

PS: Plus, I wanted to see the spiffy matrix effect code on top of CHN's fsel code :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually this can be seen elsewhere, the snes9x source has never been released for instance. If you check the readme, he's pretty vague in giving reasons.

Hi,

I am the author of littje john gp32. I want to confirm it's an opensource project. If you cant have the sources for now it's mainly because I want
to do some cleanup and optimization. The beta is here only to show
my progress.
I think I'll make the sources available as soon as I'll have activated
my web hosting at perso.wanadoo.fr (my provider) and done a miniwebsite.

BTW, the 'matrix' effect is not in the file browser, it's in the main GUI
(frameskip, load/save state...) !

and yes I think it'll be GPL since it's based on nofrendo cpu core and
it uses part of nofrendo apu emulation.

BTW, the 'matrix' effect is not in the file browser, it's in the main GUI
(frameskip, load/save state...) !
Oops. You're right (of course) it's in the configuration screen. I do like how you spiffed up the freq with that windowing though (from Don Miguel?).

Sorry if any of this comes out as controversial or accusatory (wasn't meant to sound that way). I have just seen it happen before (as Rico mentioned, though I wasn't aware of the snes9x breach) - especially in the DreamCast scene, there were many excellent ports of GPL software that never resurfaced as source.

I guess I am a strong believer in the power of the GPL. Also in the price of the privledge of using and reusing all of the various wonderful freely available source code out there under it. It's a system that can only be kept up by refueling the machine.

P.S. - I think that CHN's file requester is also under the GPL. And though it's a minor point with alot of people, any binary in 'public' circulation should have sources available - if even to be limited to doing so by written (snail mail etc or whatever) request.

P.P.S - Thanks for excellent the port! It really is impressive and a great gift to the GP32 community. And again, sorry if the tone of the message sounds bad.. it really isn't meant to be. ;)

My understanding of GPL, actually, is that all you would have to do is bundle the file requester's source with your binaries. For instance I use Crystal Space (a free, free 3D engine :) ) and many people often release projects with no source, claiming that -only- the engine is covered by the GPL, but anything they code on top is theirs. As such they simply release binaries with a link to the engine source (their new modifications, I guess, aren't under GPL)

A lot of projects -do- release full source; I will, for instance. However could you please clarify this for me ?

A lot of projects -do- release full source; I will, for instance. However could you please clarify this for me ?
Sure thing :)

Some relevant sections of the GPL Faq:

<GPL FAQ>
I want to distribute an extended version of a GPL-covered program in binary form. Is it enough to distribute the source for the original version?

No, you must supply the source code that corresponds to the binary. Corresponding source means the source from which users can rebuild the same binary.
Part of the idea of free software is that users should have access to the source code for *the programs they use*. Those using your version should have access to the source code for your version.

A major goal of the GPL is to build up the Free World by making sure that improvement to a free program are themselves free. If you release an improved version of a GPL-covered program, you must release the improved source code under the GPL.
</GPL FAQ>

<GPL FAQ>
If a library is released under the GPL (not the LGPL), does that mean that any program which uses it has to be under the GPL?

Yes, because the program as it is actually run includes the library.
</GPL FAQ>

<GPL FAQ>
In an object-oriented language such as Java, if I use a class that is GPL'ed without modifying, and subclass it, in what way does the GPL affect the larger program?

Subclassing is creating a derivative work. Therefore, the terms of the GPL affect the whole program where you create a subclass of a GPL'ed class.
</GPL FAQ>

Back