Load balancing Wifi

slashdot

Still Fresh
I'm looking into try to setup load balancing with my pandora and a Wireless-N connector. I have never done anything more than mess with a few settings on this device. I treat this thing like a baby. So if anyone knows a good place for me to start reading, let me know.

Bump.

Ok, either no one knows, or they're not understanding what I am trying to do.

I want to take 2 wireless connections, the integrated card, and a Wireless-N USB Dongle, connect them both to THE SAME router, and implement load balancing to increase the bandwidth speed on my Pandora.

I have been on other forums asking this, and people are flipping out, trying to say what I'm doing is illegal. Idiots who don't know how to read.

Last edited by a moderator:
That probably won't help much, wireless N is pretty fast, and the wireless G chip in the Pandora is glitchy at best. You are probably much better off just using the wireless N in this case.

Additionally, a router always slows down to the lowest connection type (b/g/n) that's currently connected, so a 150MBit/s connection would be slowed down by 54MBit/s connection

I still have trouble to reach any decent WiFi speed. My DSL has raised from 768kBit up to 2Mbit but on the Pandora, the best I can get is 300kBit, even with powersave off. My Router is not even 2 Meters away and no other sources are interrupting the channel I have choosen (I use an extended Channel for high speed WLan, maybe this causes trouble?). Router is set to automatic mode, maybe I should experiment there to get better results.

However, Pandora WiFi is stable at least. Stable but slow.

At a protocol level, full link aggregation is only possible if

1. It's supported by both sides of the link (e.g. 802.3ad/ax). This allows full aggregation in both directions.

2. You're sending to more than one host through a switch (you can ARP round-robin). This only allows using both network devices when sending to different hosts.

Because remote hosts (and switches in the middle) will cache the MAC address in your ARP response, they will only communicate with the last network device to respond and not both of them at once.

As others have said, you're better off just using a full external N connection. This will result in lower network/radio congestion and allow for higher maximum speeds than the internal wifi.

I have been on other forums asking this, and people are flipping out, trying to say what I'm doing is illegal. Idiots who don't know how to read.
Ultra-rofl.

As Wi-Fi is half-duplex, i wonder if there's a trick to have one device in, and another out.

As Wi-Fi is half-duplex, i wonder if there's a trick to have one device in, and another out.
your router would need to support this kind of connection, because it won't understand full duplex on a connection it's expecting to be half-duplex.

and yes, it's called MIMO :p

EvilDragon:

My router has 2 radios, I've disabled 802.11b and can set the speeds independently, so my wireless-N won't suffer. Even if I am mistaken

As for the integrated Wifi, I believe it's a driver problem that makes it glitchy, and I can't program for the life for me. I tried to take programing, but apparently I always did something the hard way, constantly putting out inefficient code. So I gave it up. Here's hoping to someone more talented figuring it out.

If not, then I have one question: is the Wifi chip integrated on the board, or is it separate? Then if I can, I might as well replace it with one I know works well, and update the kernel with the proper drivers

Oh, okay, if you got 2 radios, it wo't suffer, right :)

The WiFi chip is soldered to the PCB (well, it's a WiFi module), but without a lot of VERY experienced hacking, you won't get any internal chip to work.

Unless you split the line to the USB Host port, integrate an internal hub, solder it to the USB Host port as well as a PCB from an USB stick and try to cramp that into the case...

Back