Pandora Looking For A Few People To Get Prerelease Pandoras

I, occasional kernel developer and GP2X and Freerunner owner, and my fellow colleague Xavier Lamien, Fedora expert, commiter and developper, are willing to get tightly involved in the Pandora, and we plan to take a significant part in the making of a Fedora for Pandora distribution. We would like to have a board for that project.

Thanks for reading.

maciek_urbanski said:
EvilDragon wrote in blog that MK2 development kits have been sent to 20 selected developers.
Did those developers got any PM/email about it being selected ?

Ir in another words: does this mean I should abandon all hope of getting one ? :unsure:

No, 20 MK2 kits have been made and some of those sent to certain developers. MWeston has already stated why only a few people have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge said:
maciek_urbanski said:
EvilDragon wrote in blog that MK2 development kits have been sent to 20 selected developers.
Did those developers got any PM/email about it being selected ?

Ir in another words: does this mean I should abandon all hope of getting one ? :unsure:

No, 20 MK2 kits have been made and some of those sent to certain developers. MWeston has already stated why only a few people have them.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. :)

I'm not asking why there was only 20 MK2 dev. boards. I'm asking if those 20 developers got notification about being selected.

In another words - I'm asking if I am one of those happy 20... :D

maciek_urbanski said:
I'm not asking why there was only 20 MK2 dev. boards. I'm asking if those 20 developers got notification about being selected.
Only a couple of the 20 boards have already been sent out. The rest are not yet allocated. Those who got sent a board got notified.

Yep. It was just too complicated to say how many have been produced, how many got them and where there are now and what their tracking number is ;)
As basically, within a few days, they will all be shipped out ;)

maciek_urbanski said:
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. :)

In another words - I'm asking if I am one of those happy 20... :D

It seems you misread my post. I said *some* of those (not all 20) have been sent out to developers. As in, only a couple of devs have boards, and as I said above, MWeston has already stated why only a few people have them. But yes, there few people got notification about being selected.

If you are one of the devs to be selected, you will be notified. We need to make sure each and every board works fully before sending it out.

The gentoo.pandora.devs would like a chance to test and develop on the pandora dev boards if there are any available. One would be sufficient for us to develop Gentoo for the Pandora using the gentoo-arm-pandora project.

Are there any potential Gentoo Pandora users that would be interested in our project?

Hello,

I am the owner of a small Game Development company, and I am very interested in obtaining a dev-board for development purposes. I would like to possibly have a game developed for the first wave of the Open Pandora. I am able to devote the time needed for development, and would love to be afforded the opportunity to do so. I am unsure of the amount of dev-boards that are still available.

If you have any questions for me, please feel free to email me at nick@pheenix-studios.com. I would be happy to answer any questions regarding my qualifications and/or reasons for wanting to develop on the Open Pandora.

Thank you for your time!

Sincerely,

Nick Terry
Owner, Pheenix Game Studios
http://www.pheenix-studios.com

TaG said:
Impressive site. I like the "minimalist" look of some of the pages. :blink: ;)

Whats more worrying is that a game development company using a freewebs.com account :eek:

Squidge said:
TaG said:
Impressive site. I like the "minimalist" look of some of the pages. :blink: ;)

Whats more worrying is that a game development company using a freewebs.com account :eek:
Look, I am the first to admit, I am a terrible website designer. I am skilled at coding, but when it comes to design, I just delegate it to one of my partners. I also pay for that site. I am not using just a free account. Also, freewebs provides me many tools to design a funtional site. Why reinvent the wheel?

hells_dark said:
Well, it seems to be a one man company ;)
No, I have about 10 people in my company. I am the webmaster, and I am still designing the site. As such, only my contact info is present as of right now. This is also why the site is incomplete and empty, I am still designing it.

Look, we are a professional company, and I feel that we have the skills and qualifications to get a dev-board. We would be greatly appreciative if allowed a dev-board, and would hopefully be able to have a game ready for the release of the Pandora, and if not, shortly thereafter.

Thank you for your considerations,

Sincerely,

Nick Terry
Owner, Pheenix Game Studios, LLC

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=673601
MWeston said:
I'd still like to find a few people with some great low level kernel driver writing ability plus a very good understanding of injecting new and existing code (from TI kernels and Beagleboard source) into the Pandora kernel and also adding to these distributions being worked on. I'd love to find some more superstars like Notaz! :) You can have a free kit if you happen to own a cloning machine. :p

Porting games, emus and homebrew stuff is not the focus of these kits. The payoff for that stuff will be the developer fund as it was intended to be used. Zodttd is a special case as you can imagine. He is a part of other projects too. Please don't feel bad if you aren't contacted about your own software efforts. As great as all of that stuff is, this push is about working on the polish of the system itself and things that will be in NAND at launch.

Anyone else sitting on the fence about whether they can help? Send me a PM and tell me about yourself. Developer kits won't cost you anything because this is a request for your free time and efforts.

pheenix_game_studios said:
No, I have about 10 people in my company. I am the webmaster, and I am still designing the site. As such, only my contact info is present as of right now. This is also why the site is incomplete and empty, I am still designing it.
In that case, I would remove the "About me" link on your pages, or at least change it to "About Us" if there's more than one of you. Secondly, OpenPandora isn't looking for game programmers, they are looking for low-level kernel and driver programmers. A working Pandora as fast as possible is much more important than a game that may or may not be finished by the time of release.

However, where can we find more information about your company? You don't seem to be in any company databases, and the only information I can find is that you are a student at the university of Utah.

<snip>
Look, I am the first to admit, I am a terrible website designer. I am skilled at coding, but when it comes to design, I just delegate it to one of my partners.
<snip>
No, I have about 10 people in my company. I am the webmaster, and I am still designing the site.
Which design do you delegate ? Maybe you should delegate the design of the website ...

Sorry, just noticed a contradiction, couldn't resist,
Chero.

Squidge said:
In that case, I would remove the "About me" link on your pages, or at least change it to "About Us" if there's more than one of you. Secondly, OpenPandora isn't looking for game programmers, they are looking for low-level kernel and driver programmers. A working Pandora as fast as possible is much more important than a game that may or may not be finished by the time of release.

However, where can we find more information about your company? You don't seem to be in any company databases, and the only information I can find is that you are a student at the university of Utah.
The reason being, I started this company maybe 6 months ago. I am finishing a few projects up ready for release. The reason it has taken so long is that I am a student, and was focusing on many things. The semester is coming to an end in the next couple weeks, and I will probably have the current projects done, so I am looking for a new project. The Open Pandora caught my attention, and I have laways been a Linux Geek at heart, so...

I can provide some examples of my work, specifically the game I have been working on for quite some time now. I would need a little time to put togeter a working build, but I can show an example of my work.

I really would like the chance to get my hands on the open pandora. I am not trying to be a nuisance, but I will do what it takes to get one.

Thanks forthe quick replies!!

Oh, and Chero.... Thans SO VERY, much for the obvious contradiction. The truth is, the site is not terribly important right now. We are focusing our efforts on the game we are releasing. I appreciate the design advice though...

Sincerely,

Nick Terry

Oh, and Chero.... Thans SO VERY, much for the obvious contradiction. The truth is, the site is not terribly important right now. We are focusing our efforts on the game we are releasing. I appreciate the design advice though...

Your site IS important if you want to succeed. It's what people see, it's PR.
A few screenshots of the game you're creating could give it more "WOW"-effect. If you want to sell a game, you'll definately need that.

Way off topic, so this is my last post here.
Chero.

Chero said:

Your site IS important if you want to succeed. It's what people see, it's PR.
A few screenshots of the game you're creating could give it more "WOW"-effect. If you want to sell a game, you'll definately need that.

Way off topic, so this is my last post here.
Chero.
Well yes I do realize thAt my website is important, and I am working on it as I get the time... I plan to post some screenshots as soon as I can.

Again, I would really be grateful if I was Allowed a dev-board, as I feel that I can make a positive contribution to the open pandora project. I really do appreciate the quick replies, and the design advice for my website.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Nick Terry
Http://www.pheenix-studios.com

Nick, you sound like a Serious guy and all, but you do seem to be missing the message here. Basically the dev boards aren't for games. No, really. Not for games. For now and more than likely until the actual delivery of the systems, the dev work going into it is to actually make it work. The important things that will make it possible for someone like you to make a game for it in future. There are many people eager to make games for the system and some people have been testing out games and working on emulators but the majority of people have been doing this without a dev board. You also have to realise that its going to take a pretty long time to finish your game and it would be a waste of time for you to sit on a board at this stage. I am not invalidating your work, but just get some perspective!

I am sure you will make a very good game, but it certainly wont define the system and definitely isn't something anyone needs ready for the release date and someone could do more fundamentally important things in the meantime. Maybe you should consider getting a Beagleboard or something similar to the Pandora, just to get started? Also I don't really see you getting hold of a Pandora for free just to have a crack at making a game. You may have ordered already, which is great if you have, but otherwise, I just don't think it will happen, no matter how much you plead.

Frankly, accept all that and sit tight or just drop it.

Back