Looking For A Keypad Replacement.

Blue Ion

After a hellish month with the work and exams I finally received my replacement pandora. Much to my dismay there where yet AN OTHER FLAW on my third pandora.
On an outburst of rage I ripped the pandora open (I mean, properly with a screwdriver) and disassembled the thing to check the contacts on the board and the keymat.

Turned out the conductive carbon from the button was missing and replacing it with a small piece of tin foil did the trick... for a week or so.

Now it doesn't work anymore and I fear I will be damaging the board this way.

I remembered this page to order one, but...
Does it work, I mean if it isn't a leftover from two years ago?

And out of curiosity, How come the stylus is more expensive than the keymat?

Some keymats have missing carbon on some areas, yes.
I personally bought a carbon spray for a few bucks, spray that on a piece of paper and use a very thing brush to put that on the keymat.
Works like a charm with every keymat and doesn't fall off.

EvilDragon said:
I personally bought a carbon spray for a few bucks, spray that on a piece of paper and use a very thing brush to put that on the keymat.
Can you tell me more about this spray? Sounds like a good thing to have on hand. I have some other devices that would probably benefit from this stuff. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:

How come things like this aren't picked up during testing? The pressing-all-the-buttons-to-make-sure-they-work test is pretty basic stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
fishybawb said:
EvilDragon said:

How come things like this aren't picked up during testing? The pressing-all-the-buttons-to-make-sure-they-work test is pretty basic stuff.

I test all my buttons and notaz' new tester only flashes after you pressed every button at least once.
I can't tell for sure if Craig already uses the new tester or not - the old one only showed the buttons when you press them, it didn't show which button you already pressed.

Last edited:
metallurge said:
EvilDragon said:
Can you tell me more about this spray? Sounds like a good thing to have on hand. I have some other devices that would probably benefit from this stuff. Thanks!

This is the one I use, not sure where you can buy it outside of Germany.

Last edited:
It is available in Sweden (and other places) from Elfa (www.elfa.se). Their web site is seriously broken, but it is in there, somewhere. Rather more expensive than from Farnell, though (as always).

How can it be tested and then not work? Well, these graphite things are wearing parts, meaning that they do get worn down. Ask anyone who tries to make music with an Alesis MMT-8 :D So it is quite possible, if there is nothing there, that there was a small spatter that made the keypress register, but now it is gone. Or that there is a little speck that will make a keypress register once every 5 presses (MMT-8! MMT-8!) and, well, a quick press or two during testing might luck out.

Back