Looking For The Longest Lasting Batteries For Gp2x.

craigix posted on Aug 15 2006 at 08:32 PM said:
3200? You had better hope they fit in the gp2x as they pushed the size on the 3000mah ones so that they only JUST fit.
You're joking right? :blink:
I can't imagine that they wouldn't fit. IMHO AA = AA.

Anyway, I'll let you know if and when they arrive. :)

(....going through my toolbox, looking for a hammer just in case...)

Last edited by a moderator:
These high mah ones are just bigger batteries, they have not advanced the technology, they are cheating. It is probably less than 1mm but you can notice the slight increase and i know other people on here have noticed it too.

craigix posted on Aug 15 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
3200? You had better hope they fit in the gp2x as they pushed the size on the 3000mah ones so that they only JUST fit.
I have some cheapo Boots chemist AA 2200 ones somewhere. The size is bigger so now that I have used them all other batteries only just stay. I am not going to bend the contacts again as eventually htey will wear down and snap or something.

My 3200mah MaxCell AA batteries from an eBay shop arrived yesterday together with an 'Ultra High Speed' charger.

The batteries fit nicely in my GP2X, I see no difference in size compared to my Ansmann batteries.

I haven't had time to do tests on max running time. What would be the easiest and correct way to do this?

superfly posted on Aug 22 2006 at 11:53 PM said:
My 3200mah MaxCell AA batteries from an eBay shop arrived yesterday together with an 'Ultra High Speed' charger.

The batteries fit nicely in my GP2X, I see no difference in size compared to my Ansmann batteries.

I haven't had time to do tests on max running time. What would be the easiest and correct way to do this?

Just grab a program that runs at 200Mhz, run it so it's at full power, use it with a way to time it, when it dies check how long it's been.

I guess.

craigix posted on Aug 15 2006 at 11:32 AM said:

Yes, thats important. I have some 2000mAh ones that fit really well, but with my 2200mAh ones, I have to pry them out with a screwdriver.

I had the opposite, my 1300mAh ones were very slightly lose, I could reset my gp2x by giving it a sharp whack :p

I have two pairs of 2500mAh Hama batteries that I aquired while I was in Germany recently.

One set was in my mouse for a month, until they went dead and the other set I used normally in my GP2X. I charged the mouse batteries to full capacity and now they last longer than the other set...

Is using the GP2X on my batteries ruining thier capacity, b/c they aren't completely discharged in the GP2X?

NiMH batteries don't have to be fully discharged as often as NiCd, and discharging them fully just for the sake of doing it just adds extra wear to the battery. That said, it's recommended to fully drain NiMH about once every 2-3 months, since they can experience "memory" effects, but nowhere near as bad as NiCd. The recommendation for NiCd is at least once a month, or when you start noticing capacity problems. It helps to have a good charger that has a capacity readout.

Be careful that when you fully drain them, that the batteries were charged to the same level first, or the stronger battery will over-drain the weaker battery and cause it to get a negative charge, which isn't good. This is more of a concern when the device you're using won't shut off when the battery gets too low, like a flashlight, or when you have more than 2 or 3 batteries in series (one battery being fully drained won't affect the voltage as much when there's a lot of them, and the device will probably keep running).

Back