Loose Battery

madlyinsane

Still Fresh
A couple of days ago I posted that my Pandora was randomly turning it's self off or restarting, WizardStan Suggested that I could have a loose battery and to use some tissue paper to cushion the battery and hold it in place better. This greatly improved the issue however, I've noticed that a light tap on the Pandora can still cause it to restart, sometimes even closing the screen can cause it. The battery is now held in place very tight and my back cover bulges quite a bit from the cushioning. Has anyone else suffered from this? If so did you manage to fix it? Also, how likely is it that the problem is in the battery, or is it more likely to be in the circuitry of the pandora?

A couple of days ago I posted that my Pandora was randomly turning it's self off or restarting, WizardStan Suggested that I could have a loose battery and to use some tissue paper to cushion the battery and hold it in place better. This greatly improved the issue however, I've noticed that a light tap on the Pandora can still cause it to restart, sometimes even closing the screen can cause it. The battery is now held in place very tight and my back cover bulges quite a bit from the cushioning. Has anyone else suffered from this? If so did you manage to fix it? Also, how likely is it that the problem is in the battery, or is it more likely to be in the circuitry of the pandora?

I don't have that much of a loose battery, but bumping the pandora screen into something sideways will cause it to reset. I partially solved it by putting a few layers of really thin paper by the short side of the battery. Without that, it will reset by holding it sideways (think playing games laying on your side, putting the pandora in your pocket etc.)

I too would like to se a fix that eliminates this problem.

I gotta chime in here. So, I've been having the same problem. Tried the folded paper trick and still, it reset with the slightest bump of the platform it was on -- there were nights I awoke to see the thing running, beckoning for me to play it, sleeping wife be damned.

So, frustrated and desperate, I went to an arts and crafts store and picked up a sheet of "fun foam." This stuff is just a bit thicker than a piece of paper, squishes when you press on it, and has a sticker back (and comes in a variety of Fun Colours!). You can get one for just over a buck.

I cut off a small piece -- maybe 1 inch by 2.5 inches, as nothing bigger would fit in the battery case -- stuck it centred on the inside of the battery lid, and closed 'er up (remembering to do a full shutdown after it booted for the first time). After that I managed to get a full charge out of it and *knock on wood* haven't had this issue since.

Going forward, I do think it's something OPT should look at doing as part of manufacturing. I'm concerned that putting either paper or plastic in there is stressing the plastic lid, and I know I've seen devices with a more suitable material used in the manner I've described above.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going forward, I do think it's something OPT should look at doing as part of manufacturing.

I'm not too sure how often the problem occurs, but if we're talking about suggestions for OPT to consider when assemblind Pandoras, it might be a good idea for them to consider using a much stronger adhesive to the LCD case, where the bezel is. I see little sticky 'strands' of glue right where the bezel rises (very slightly, though). It seems to me that the team are trying to fix the bezel to the best of their abilities short of getting a new case mould. It might be a good idea to spring for some REALLY strong adhesive.

Show that cowardly plastic who's boss!

^ I'm pretty sure that adhesive won't fix it, as it's my understanding that it bows due to the painted finish.

I cut off a small piece -- maybe 1 inch by 2.5 inches, as nothing bigger would fit in the battery case -- stuck it centred on the inside of the battery lid, and closed 'er up (remembering to do a full shutdown after it booted for the first time). After that I managed to get a full charge out of it and *knock on wood* haven't had this issue since.
That reminds me of when they used to have a bit of that horrible holey foam in the lids of AA battery compartments in various electronic doodads back in the 90s! I always wondered why they did that. :p

The battery company didn't always wrap the battery with those black labels perfectly when it comes to the part where the label drops down over the protection PCB (where the three gold pads are). Even though we designed that label with an extra millimeter of material to make a 90 degree bend down the side of the PCB and then over the battery, I see lots of angle there on several samples. The Pandora case was designed to need that 90 degree bend to get the most compression of the battery connector springs. In some cases it appears that the label is preventing the proper placement.

What I suggest to anyone is to break that label right next to the PCB to be sure you get that straight step down. I wouldn't use a really sharp blade because you don't want to puncture the cell but something metal and dull could probably break through or do a better job of flattening that area. After doing this you could still use some material above the battery to press it down tight but now the tightness will actually benefit that step down that is critical for maximum spring compression.

I've tried various materials to press the battery down, I've also cut the sticker that stops the battery sitting in place properly. While this has helped alot and the Pandora no longer randomly restarts while I'm using it, it still restarts every now and then when I close it. I'm not closing the screen with any extra force, all I do is push it from the back until it springs closed. I'm wondering if the problem with mine isn't entirely with the battery because I've had someone hold the battery in place tightly while I gently tap the pandora and it still restarts.

It's not a huge issue (as long as I remember to save before closing) but it would be nice to fix.

edit: I've noticed that the battery wrapper is very slightly covering one of the contacts, its no more than a millimetre but could this be causing the problem?

I've now tried to break the label right on the edge of the protection PCB, didn't help that much (and before, the label was more in a 30° angle rather than 90°. It's still very sensitivte. In fact, even if I hold the battery down with my hands, a gentle bump will make it reset. Now it sometimes resets when I close the lid. What more is there to do?

Back on some prototype batteries, I would apply a thin layer of solder to the three gold pads on the battery itself. It worked well but it was because we moved the position of the battery connector on the PCB and this helped. Everything lines up now and matches in production parts, although it would be better if the plastics company wouldn't have removed the alignment tabs Dave and I put in there! Those were to center the battery right over the pins but those idiots went and removed them without permission. I don't know if anyone has tried it, but adding some thin shims to each side of the battery to center it down the middle of the compartment might help too.

If anyone is comfortable soldering, you could try to apply a layer of solder to those gold pads. Be sure it is even thickness all the way across and not too much. Also be careful not to short the pads together. If all else fails with padding and such, this is the last resort.

it would be better if the plastics company wouldn't have removed the alignment tabs Dave and I put in there! Those were to center the battery right over the pins but those idiots went and removed them without permission. I don't know if anyone has tried it, but adding some thin shims to each side of the battery to center it down the middle of the compartment might help too.

Do you have a diagram showing where and what these alignment tabs would have looked like? It would be great to have a reference for modding (I.e. putting in the shims as you suggested)

The battery company didn't always wrap the battery with those black labels perfectly when it comes to the part where the label drops down over the protection PCB (where the three gold pads are). Even though we designed that label with an extra millimeter of material to make a 90 degree bend down the side of the PCB and then over the battery, I see lots of angle there on several samples. The Pandora case was designed to need that 90 degree bend to get the most compression of the battery connector springs. In some cases it appears that the label is preventing the proper placement.

What I suggest to anyone is to break that label right next to the PCB to be sure you get that straight step down. I wouldn't use a really sharp blade because you don't want to puncture the cell but something metal and dull could probably break through or do a better job of flattening that area. After doing this you could still use some material above the battery to press it down tight but now the tightness will actually benefit that step down that is critical for maximum spring compression.

Thanks, this actually fixed the issue with one of my batteries. I just ran my finger across the corner of the sticker until the sticker broke and now the battery sits completely flat and not had a problem since.

Do you have a diagram showing where and what these alignment tabs would have looked like? It would be great to have a reference for modding (I.e. putting in the shims as you suggested)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa99/MWeston_2007/removed_battery_alignment.png

They were just small tabs designed to remove the gap and tolerance around the battery in one small area to focus its position right where it counted.

Thanks, this actually fixed the issue with one of my batteries. I just ran my finger across the corner of the sticker until the sticker broke and now the battery sits completely flat and not had a problem since.
I'm glad it's helping although without cutting it, there's a chance that over time it might pop back up again depending on how much slack they left. I guess you will have to see what happens over the months.

Oh my God. This is... laughable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm truly amazed by Pandora's power and unbelievable range of functionality, but when I'm paying pretty high amount of money for any device, I expect to get possibly flawless product. After paying 450€ I'm certainly not entertained with idea of sticking some paper here and there in order to stop my device from randomly switching off.

Anyway, maybe it's not actual anymore with the newest "1GHz" model. It's been four years since last post in this thread after all, so maybe Pandora's construction is much more solid now? I hope so, as I'm probably gonna buy one as soon as it gets available again.

The absolute new all improved 1ghz version has this piece of paper already installed. Thats why you pay 100€ more. 

Joke aside, the cases now come with foam at that place but a major shock could still cause a reboot. 

If you expect a flawless device you should not buy a hackers gadget. 

And now stop necrodigging old threads.

Oh my God. This is... laughable.

Don't get me wrong. I'm truly amazed by Pandora's power and unbelievable range of functionality, but when I'm paying pretty high amount of money for any device, I expect to get possibly flawless product. After paying 450€ I'm certainly not entertained with idea of sticking some paper here and there in order to stop my device from randomly switching off.

Anyway, maybe it's not actual anymore with the newest "1GHz" model. It's been four years since last post in this thread after all, so maybe Pandora's construction is much more solid now? I hope so, as I'm probably gonna buy one as soon as it gets available again.
While the Pandoras case has not changed, pads were added inside the battery compartment to prevent the problem at hand here from appearing.

On a side note: The Pandoras price is what it is because of its small scale, so please do not just compare it with every other product from a big company

one thing you'll never be disappointed of is the human imbecility...

@Mati9319, Well you did respond to a 4 year old post... that Pad work around was found long ago...

Back