Losing My Love for My Pandora?

But that's everything I expected when I ordered the Pandora. It will always have a place in my life because it's what I used to write my bachelor thesis about. 
You wrote your bachelor thesis about the Pandora? Cool! Can we have a link?
Well yes it was the Droidora project. I haven't uploaded the thesis anywhere, also it's in German so I guess the majority won't be able to read it anyway.

Never had those types of issues with PNDManager it just works.
Today's experience: I wanted to install Pandora System Info. Opened PNDManager, Search, found it. Click the result. Shows the big green Install button. Click. Starts downloading and the progress bar nicely completes the 100%. It then shows the previous screen with the big green Install button again. Went to the Installed list. It's not there. Went back to the search results, clicked the package, clicked Install. Nothing happens. The Install button does nothing. Went back to the Installed list. Pandora System Info appears in a section "Downloading". It shows 50% and a progress bar at 50%. Doesn't move. It's still stuck like that right here, nothing happend since half an hour on so. 

2013-03-30 18.52.42.JPG

I'm using Pandora wifi, does that count? Or maybe the neverending issues with Wifi have something to do? Who knows.... Can you see anything wrong in the above process?

Closed PNDManager. No traces of Pandora System Info. Repeated process. Same result. Switched off Pandora.

The pandora you have in your hands today is a lot different than the One we first received back in 2010. Incredibly it improves every single Day.
The best improvement I can really notice so far is that the lid hinge is now pretty strong and keeps the lid steady in almost any angle.

And after a lot of annoyances, countless issues, and extremely frustrating hours, an improved Dosbox Ex and the 1Ghz cpu have actually made playable some of my most enjoyed MSDOS games.

Other than that I still can notice almost every annoying thing I used to experience with the 2010 Pandora. I really wish I could say the opposite. Really.

Not surprised by what I read above. The Pandora is not made for everyone. Personally, while I like smooth, painless experiences, I still enjoy trying new stuff and seeing they do not work as expected. Then it throws me in a "trying to fix it" kind of mode, just like when I use Linux on my desktop. You learn a lot this way about how the system is structured, how the OS works and so on.

The Pandora is a Desktop Linux Computer. That's the reality. Not everything will work exactly like you want, but you can do SO much with it. 
I can understand that Linux people feel comfortable with Pandora. But I'm the kind of guy that actually wants the OS to do things for me, not me doing things for the OS. I have no problem at all on digging as deep as needed for configuring and fixing things. But I'm just tired of having to do that on almost every single silly thing I want to do with Pandora.

It makes me sad to hear that people are struggling because whenever I use my Pandora it does "just work" (for the things that are supposed to "just work" I mean, not the experimental stuff we're playing with). 
I am a moron and a fool with most of this stuff, and I don't even have problems with most stuff, IT JUST PLAIN WORKS.

I have no idea why these people are having all these problems.

Opening a folder in the Pandora menu (i.e. Emulators, Games, etc.) requires 3-4 clicks with the stylus. Some folders open after 2, other after 3... Sometimes after 3 clicks the content appears then immediately disappears and you have to click that again. They never appear at the first click with the stylus. Maybe it's me being picky, or I'm asking too much if I'd expect the content of a folder in the Pandora Menu opened at the first tap? Or with a predictable behavior the least?

Someone mentioned that most of the required work for configuring emulators and games only requires copying or moving files to specified folders. True but extremely frustrating when the File Manager has the irritating habit of refusing to entering folders arbitrarily after some random path level inside a random path. You are navigating foders by double-clicking the names, until the File Manager decides it won't go further. No matter if you use the stylus or the right-nub-up (double-click). This problem has been here since I first used my first Pandora (2010 first batch no. 795). It's so evident that I cannot be the only one having this issue. I really hoped that after THREE years of this problem happening it would have been resolved. Isn't navigating folders with File Manager supposed to "just plain work"? It's plain ridiculous...

And more... So many times I just don't feel like using Pandora.

In general, if you are having a problem with a certain application, it is crucial you contact the author of said application and report it. This is what the Pandora and the community spirit around it is about. By doing that you are really helping out and applications will be improved over time.

I know this seems much to ask, applications should function without bugs or errors, but developers are doing this in their spare time, they can only anticipate so many use-cases and some bugs will always go by unnoticed.

Some software is labelled "beta" for a reason (PNDTools is for example) and to me the Pandora is more about the community than the device itself - developing, helping others out and using/playing go hand in hand really.
I understand you. I'm also a developer (not for Pandora) and I can understand how much work and effort is needed to maintain a software. But there are so many annoying minor issues that should be trivial to notice (the least!) that I don't feel like disturbing anyone with them. Many are just evident. In the end, I also don't have the mood for reporting each and single issue I'm noticing, as this also requires an amout of time if one wants to provide useful information other that just a "doesn't work" (isolating issues, searching forums, trying fixes and workarounds, finding people involved, discussing solutions....).

Honestly, with regards to Pandora I wish to stay in the "user" side of things. From this side, Pandora looks like being in a "forever beta" state, even "forever alpha" in some aspects. Many times its plain frustrating. Still, it's almost compensated when things finally work and can be enjoyed. Almost.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I thought the filemanager(Thunar) issue was resolved in a recent firmware patch.. There was(is?) a bug with entering nested directories in Thunar when it's in List mode verses Icon mode. I've known about that issue since 2008 when using XFCE4 with the beagleboard. If the problem still exists, short term solution is just to keep using Icon mode.

Sell it . see if I give a crap . We all thank you for buying the 1ghz and helping problems , but if you wish to sell go ahead . But I'm new to open source too so I feel ya .

I can't help the guy from the original post, but I have to say I'm happy with my Pandora every time I use it. Just been sitting here for an hour and a half browsing web sites with Firefox in fullscreen mode (F11), checking up on recent threads on the forums, and going through unread links from my RSS reader.

Never had to move my thumbs off the keyboard area thanks to the genius nub mouse mode, switching tabs in FF is just holding the right shoulder button (ctrl) and typing Fn-space (Tab) with the right hand. But then I just don't get touch interfaces - why the hell should I obstruct my view on the screen with some object when there's a dedicated input area just below? (Although I sometimes use a finger when the mouse pointer is just across the screen from where I need it right now, which is a cool option to have too.) Hinge doesn't bother me either, because the fully open position is perfect for the way I'm using the system.

And ok, Wifi is working great on my current unit - but it was a lot worse on my first (CC) Pandora, and still didn't make much of a  difference for what I'm doing currently - half the RAM was much more of a problem.

I rarely play games, and when I do it's mostly native applications like Super Geometry Dust or Battlejewels - those just work, no fiddling with settings required.

This thing might be ugly and have some imperfections, but I still consider it my best tech purchase in the past five years. If it had a synchronisable calendar and contacts application, I would even throw away my smartphone, and just carry around this and a dumb mobile phone that allows bluetooth tethering for quick internet access on the go.

It makes me sad to hear that people are struggling because whenever I use my Pandora it does "just work" (for the things that are supposed to "just work" I mean, not the experimental stuff we're playing with).
I am a moron and a fool with most of this stuff, and I don't even have problems with most stuff, IT JUST PLAIN WORKS.

I have no idea why these people are having all these problems.

Opening a folder in the Pandora menu (i.e. Emulators, Games, etc.) requires 3-4 clicks with the stylus. Some folders open after 2, other after 3... Sometimes after 3 clicks the content appears then immediately disappears and you have to click that again. They never appear at the first click with the stylus. Maybe it's me being picky, or I'm asking too much if I'd like the content of a folder in the Pandora Menu opened at the first tap? Or with a predictable behavior the least?

Someone mentioned that most of the required work for configuring emulators and games requres copying or moving files to specified folders only. True but extremely frustrating when the File Manager has the irritating habit of refusing to entering folders arbitrarily after some random path level inside a random path. You are navigating foders by double-clicking the names, until the File Manager decides it won't go further. No matter if you use the stylus or the right-nub-up (double-click). This problem has been here since I first used my first Pandora (2010 first batch no. 795). It's so evident that I cannot be the only one having this issue. I really hoped that after THREE years of this problem happening it would have been resolved. Isn't navigating folders with File Manager supposed to "just plain work"? It's plain ridiculous...
To be fair, most of these are issues with XFCE, the desktop environment; not with the Pandora per-se.

While I most frequently use the D-pad to navigate the menu myself, I have found that dragging the stylus off the menu past the 'submenu arrow' reliably brings up the submenu for me; unless I'm pressing too gently and the motion is interpreted as a pair of clicks as opposed to a drag, and then everything closes.

As for the file manager, I've not witnessed this behaviour; but I've also switched to 'single-click opens' mode in Thunar, since it works better with how I would normally use a touch screen. The default double-tap timings are nigh impossible to use while on a bus.

To be fair, most of these are issues with XFCE, the desktop environment; not with the Pandora per-se.
And that is the general 'problem' of the Pandora for users like Edy. There is a *lot* of software that is not optimized and 'just' ports. I don't care that much, I am a Linux desktop user and used to find alternative solutions to a problem or figuring things out for myself. That does cost time and effort though. The keyboard on the Pandora is great, but it results in ports that are still using the mouse/touch screen as input for selection of roms. Not really efficient. 

As said, I don't care that much and I have setup Pandafe to have quick access to the games I usually play. 

Another example is VLC. Great program, but try to forward to a certain position in a movie is not really intuitive and learning shortcut keys is not for everyone. Tons of examples like this. 

If this frightens or worry you, you shouldn't buy a Pandora but an Android or IOS device. If you are prepared to invest some time and effort the rewards are really worth it (IMHO). Because of the openness of this device and its software only the hardware determine its limits. And then there is this community that is always there to help people who need it. Also and maybe most important, where do you have so much free technical support from developers and talk to the CEO? This is pretty unique. 

Reactions: Edy
 And that is the general 'problem' of the Pandora for users like Edy. There is a *lot* of software that is not optimized and 'just' ports.
In my experience, there are conflicting forces at play with ported software that gives rise to this: the porter has pressure from one side to make the port consistent with the platform and a pleasure to use; simultaneously a counterforce to minimize the difference from upstream, to ease their maintenance burden.

That, I would posit, is why MiniMenu is so awesome: upstream is a direct consumer of the end result on the platform.

And that is the general 'problem' of the Pandora for users like Edy. There is a *lot* of software that is not optimized and 'just' ports. I don't care that much, I am a Linux desktop user and used to find alternative solutions to a problem or figuring things out for myself. That does cost time and effort though. The keyboard on the Pandora is great, but it results in ports that are still using the mouse/touch screen as input for selection of roms. Not really efficient. 

As said, I don't care that much and I have setup Pandafe to have quick access to the games I usually play. 

Another example is VLC. Great program, but try to forward to a certain position in a movie is not really intuitive and learning shortcut keys is not for everyone. Tons of examples like this. 

If this frightens or worry you, you shouldn't buy a Pandora but an Android or IOS device.
Exactly, if you dont like the Pandora in that aspect, just get a fricking phone. If you want optimized ports Android/iOS crap is the best platform for that. 

Reactions: Edy
I'm still madly in love with my Pandora, so if you no longer have love for yours, please send it to me, as I can always use a mistress ;)

Chris

As you suggested,  I went out and bought the Netgear Nano USB Wifi dongle, disabled the wireless on my Verizon FIOS router and use open DNS, hooked up a  another Netgear Wireless router to the verizon router since the wireless on the verizon router sucks.  Attached the Nano USB wifi stick to the Pandora and Woohoo! the wifi speed on the pandora went up to 1.8-2.0MB/s as compared to 15.0-17.0KB/s!  Downloaded 90MB file just in seconds! :rolleyes:

Just a side note, I took my Pandora with me when I went to my local RadioShack store to buy the Nano USB Wifi dongle, and the guys working there were amazed about the Pandora.  They all said it's really nice!  They now all want one!  So Dragronbox or Ithic.com may get some orders from these guys soon :D

...With the new wifi speed.  I think I'm falling in love again with my Pandora.  I'm playing Suikoden and is loving it so far.....  Can someone tell the the perfect settings for Metal Gear Solid?  I thought I got it before but, all the cut-scenes are messed up!

As you suggested,  I went out and bought the Netgear Nano USB Wifi dongle, disabled the wireless on my Ve

...With the new wifi speed.  I think I'm falling in love again with my Pandora.  I'm playing Suikoden and is loving it so far.....  Can someone tell the the perfect settings for Metal Gear Solid?  I thought I got it before but, all the cut-scenes are messed up!
Yeah cutscenes are messed up here too. I couldn't find the right way to fix it yet either.

Just as well he did not buy earlier version cracked cases and all.The new machine is excellent not perfect but excellent.

Part of the build up to using emulators etc, is when the updates keep them moving closer to perfection

What sort of keyboard does the Vita have again?

Back