Louis Therioux: The Most Hated Family In America

Ganepark32

Suit Up!
Website
Visit site
So its been on twice on BBC2 now and i wanna know who watched it and what they thought of the views expressed by the Phelps family and the Westboro Church.

No trolls please. I want a civilised conversation on the topic.

I've not seen it yet, but have a copy somewhere.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Does (or will) this air in the US? A wikipedia search yielded some interesting material and I'd love to see what this guy has to say about this hate group.
Ta-daa!.
You should check out his other documentarys, some of them are hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was stunned as I watched it.

DCGM, the great thing about Louis Theroux is that he doesn't really offer any opinions on the subject. He asks exactly the right kind of questions to really draw out the bad of these people for the world to see.

I couldn't beleive that teenage girl, who had so much potential in life, she was smart, etcetera, but she'd been brainwashed by these twats, and it was fucking sad. Especially when she mentioned that the idea of Louis going to hell amused her.

Also, that old guy (was his name Gremps or something) was a fucking nutjob, I really think that when he shuffles off this earth, the group will not survive for very long.

Here is their site, let's hack it.

Also, this picture sums them up

20050615idahogodhatesfapi0.jpg

I think you can watch these shows on tvlinks and liveleak too - and probably on the BBC website.

The one on the american rap scene is also very funny.

yeah i just watched the one on thai brides via youtube, seriously funny, louis is awesome.

that ones definitely worth checking out, look out for a guy called Lake whose a little bit special. After doing a bit of research afterwards it turns out his 'wife' scammed the shit out of him!

I would have posted my views on it earlier but its a pain in the backside to type on the Wii without a keyboard(make one now nintendo).

I completely agree with Nova. All of the girls there are smart and stuff and they've been brainwashed by this...tripe. I find it disgusting, though, that they can happily stand outside a soldier's funeral and shout that he was a fag and all kinds of things. When she said she found it amusing that Louis would go to hell, i was not impressed. In the eyes of the lord, she should go to hell for saying that. The ones i feel sorriest for are the smaller kids, the ones who have no idea what the signs mean and are being forced to go out and picket these funerals and all kinds of things.

And I'm guessing that most of the people that saw it would have been incredibly pissed off that they had a picture of Princess Diana on a sign and called her a fag. That really pissed me off.

Personally, i'd like to meet these f**k wits as myself and a few friends, who are anti god for various reasons that don't need to be explained beyond the point that we just dont believe in one, would have a fucking field day with them. I liked it at the end though how Louis managed to get that teenager, who laughed at the thought of Louis going to hell, to cry and really think hard about what see was involved within.

There was a thing on 7chan (I know...) where thousands of people sent orders for 500 USPS cardboard boxes to be sent to Mr. Phelps. He's such a wanker, going to soldiers' funerals and fucking protesting. Now, I must watch that documentary.

By the way, http://godhatesfigs.com/

I just watched it. This whole thing has to be a religious satire; I can not believe that there is a group of people as deluded as this "church". Even the basis of the whole belief makes no sense at all: Everybody is irrevocably going to hell, so the church does everyone a favour by telling them this and trying to hurt them emotionally. God is our biggest enemy, so we should worship him and preach his word.
There is no way that this documentary has any basis in reality.

Mosch said:
I just watched it. This whole thing has to be a religious satire; I can not believe that there is a group of people as deluded as this "church". Even the basis of the whole belief makes no sense at all: Everybody is irrevocably going to hell, so the church does everyone a favour by telling them this and trying to hurt them emotionally. God is our biggest enemy, so we should worship him and preach his word.
There is no way that this documentary has any basis in reality.
It would seem so, but no, this is a completely true docu about a group of religious people (if you can call them that)

I think they are absolutely disgusting. Some of his children broke free and have been ostrasized by the remaining family members. They are an extreme example, but it illustrates Richard Dawkins' claim that religion is a form of child abuse in a way that is harder to appreciate with more moderate believers.
There are clips of them on YouTube and they really need to be publicised as widely as possible. Along with Ted Haggard, Kent Hovind, Father Gerry Nugent (Angelika) and the litany of choirboy molesting priests over the years, they have to be the best argument against religion there is.
With christianity showing signs of extinction in Europe it seems as if islam is seeping in to fill the void. They want to spend 300 million building a mosque with a capacity of 40,000 in London by 2012. There was only 1.5 million muslims in the UK at the last census so that seems a little over the top to me. Spend the money on stem cell research or orphans or the homeless. You know, something real.
Sadly it is not satire. Most of America and the Islamic world deny evolution. People who believe in the rapture and other imminent end of the world scenarios are in the White House and Downing Street. They have no incentive to tackle environmental issues because Jesus is coming to take them to heaven and destroy the rest of us. If there was a god I would be praying to him instead of writing this.

Organized religion is a fucking farce.

Look at this nonsense holiday "Easter". Jesus rose? Balls to that. Passover is a joke too, and I'm jewish. It's merely an excuse for me to eat myself into a coma.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Organized religion is a fucking farce.

Look at this nonsense holiday "Easter". Jesus rose? Balls to that. Passover is a joke too, and I'm jewish. It's merely an excuse for me to eat myself into a coma.
Definitely. One must find their own notion of God, and be at peace and understanding with that, not with what a gold-draped pope preaches every Sunday. Building multi-million dollar churches and mosques makes me sick, as does seeing all those popes draped in gold and velvet, while there are people going hungry every day in the cities of developed countries, and people dying due to lack of money to obtain medical care. Why are there protests about seals and forests, and not about this?

Alex. said:
Why are there protests about seals and forests, and not about this?
Because so many people rely on organized religion on a daily basis. It's like a lot of these Bible nuts; most of them have done something in their life that they're extremely guilty about. God helps them cope. Religion is a crutch for people to lean on; an excuse for them to continue living a life free of guilt and pain. The same can be said about weak people. People who aren't happy and keep fucking up in life. People who are poor, yet continue to have 500 kids and complain even more. These are the people who are religion freaks.

Have you seen many intellectual and successful people who are heavily into the Bible? Na. It's mostly the trailer park dwellers.

Like you said, we must find our own notion of God. There's no reason to go by what some people wrote in a book hundreds of years ago. Think for yourself ffs. I believe there is some kind of a higher power. Is it a man in the clouds? Probably not. It's more of a force in my mind, not a being. Am I wrong? Maybe. Is everyone else wrong? Maybe, who knows. As long as you don't push your beliefs on me, I don't care if you worship our fine monkey-esque president ;)

You know what really pisses me off? When religion is used to make money. Like these God salesmen, and other assholes on TV preaching about bullshit. And the joke is that people buy it! Even down to my own religion. My people are money grubbing fuckers. They charge me to get into my own Synagogue! I've been to a church more than I've been in my own house of worship. It's a joke.

Meanwhile these preists are touching boys' penises. Very Godly. I'm sure if God were a man, he'd approve of that. He'd also approve of "We hate fags" discussion. Because he obviously hates them too.

Gahh!

God doesn't hate anybody. There are just some things He'd rather people not do (like hate, discriminate, perversify, blaspheme), for their own good.

You guys disappoint me.

Blah said:
God doesn't hate anybody. There are just some things He'd rather people not do (like hate, discriminate, perversify, blaspheme), for their own good.

You guys disappoint me.
How is not blashpeming in the interests of anyone but god and his immediate family?

very disappointing

@DCGM, why should a bunch of lunatics represent God? Why should we blame God for wars and bigoted americans?

And across the world there are plenty of successful people who read the bible.

I am not a church goer, but I have my own belief system. But you, with your vitriolic post about church goers are just as nasty and opinionated as anyone in that documentary. You are insisting that you know more than others, you see, when we simply can't actually 'know'. We can just have an awareness.

God is just a generic term, that can be applied to any belief in a higher, spiritual presence. You don't have to believe. We can criticise fanatical people that use the notion of a God for their own bigoted and dangerous ends.
But discussing whether there is a God is something else.

Back