Lowest Temperature A Gp32 Can Tolerate?

spongebue

Website
Visit site
Hey guys, it's been a while.

I've been thinking about putting my GP32 in my car as a music player, since it's been collecting dust lately ( :( ) but there is one thing I'm worried about. My location. You see, I live in good ol' Minnesota, where the temperature can be as low as -20F (-29C) When the heater is on, it can get to be about 70 in the drive that I take most often (about 5-10 minutes away) The instructions only said that there can be condensation if going from warm to cold, and that's about it. Does anyone have stories about cold weather affecting their GP32? If so, how bad was it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
spongebue

Shurly you can put your Gp32 to better use than using it as a car radio, LOL. Check out some of the new Emu's if you haven't played for a while. I'm shure that you'll be convinced to keep your Gp at home, safe and WARM, LOL. H.G.

Heh, I have to admit that -40C will kill your GP32... I had to walk one day for a 20-30 minute walk in -40C (with an additional windchill ontop of it) so I said screw it I'm listening to damn music so I can ignore the fact that I'm frozen! grabbed my GP32 and went... it worked fine until about halfway through the field I went to skip tracks and the R button broke (atleast that was all I thought it was, it was still in my pocket) so I just listened to the music without skipping it and walked to my destination where I discovered that not only the R button but the screen had messed up too... my suggestion, sure it's a good MP3 player but DON'T abuse it and leave it in a car in cold weather even it'll eventually kill it.

I live here in upstate NY so the Temp can be some-what comparable to minnesota during the winter I guess. In the middle of winter last year, I went to my grandma's house and brought my GP32 in the car with me for the ~30 min ride. I was wearing sweatopants without pockets and didn't wanto leave it in my grandmas house so I put it in the glove compartment. 6 hours later I took it out turned it on and was about to play some SMB3 but the screen just went away (kinda like it does with low batteries) but it stayed on. I figured it was the sold and waited to turn it back on till the car's heater had been working for a while.

well, I know for sure it was lower than -40C with the windchill. (Trust me it gets cold in Canada some years) my eyelashes froze together quite a few times on that trip.

-40 celsius? Is it really that cold?

I would freeze to death in a minute at that temperature :blink:

What the lowest temperature a human can tolerate?

Gah, -40C!? That is COLD. I live in northern Sweden and -35C is the coldest I've experienced and that was insanely cold. I'm not surprised that your GP32 didn't survive.

spongebue posted on Oct 8 2005 at 07:07 PM said:
Hey guys, it's been a while.

I've been thinking about putting my GP32 in my car as a music player, since it's been collecting dust lately ( :( ) but there is one thing I'm worried about. My location. You see, I live in good ol' Minnesota, where the temperature can be as low as -20F (-29C) When the heater is on, it can get to be about 70 in the drive that I take most often (about 5-10 minutes away) The instructions only said that there can be condensation if going from warm to cold, and that's about it. Does anyone have stories about cold weather affecting their GP32? If so, how bad was it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
spongebue
lol -29 celcius! no way. thats almost 80 degrees less than your bodys core temperature. Your body is killed if the core temperature goes dow even a few degrees for a while! you body just does everything it can ot retain the natural core temperature at 98.6For 37C

hired gun posted on Oct 8 2005 at 07:46 PM said:
Shurly you can put your Gp32 to better use than using it as a car radio, LOL. Check out some of the new Emu's if you haven't played for a while. I'm shure that you'll be convinced to keep your Gp at home, safe and WARM, LOL. H.G.
spongebue has wanted to do this car dukebox thing for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good to know. Here in Toronto we get temps the likes of -40C during winter. I should watch out :eek: no more playing DrMD and GPDoom in my igloo :(

rabbits with hats posted on Oct 9 2005 at 12:07 AM said:
I hear if you put your gp32 in a freezer it overclocks higher ;)
Haha. We at GP32X take it to the XtREME. YEAH!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I took it to -15 celcius (you do the maths) When skiing.

Weird thing is:

The gp32 mp3 player is NOT shock proof.

We i went fast on a very bumpy slope, the sound stuttered!!!

Weird..

also do not even take your "normal" mp3 player in that weather, I used mine when it was -15C and the screen turned black and stayed it LOL.

Back