M001 Android

Rockthesmurf

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
Anyone know anything about:

m001

It is obviously in no way to be a competitor for the Pandora - so don't even start down that route! But for the price it looks quite cool! I can't find much info about it, but I'm guessing graphics wise it is going to be a bit sucky. For some reason I am still tempted to get one, despite the fact I have a HTC Desire (Android) phone.

Hmmm..

Steve

Seems to good to be true, for the price. Is there a catch?

I'm reading 3 hour battery life in the comments there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4OCItW6ecc

I like it; it's got a lot of tech for a very low price.
Could do with 256 ram instead of 128 and a better battery but it looks quite capable and a good hacking platform to start off with.

I'd probably get one later just for reading ebooks and news sites etc. :)

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I like it; it's got a lot of tech for a very low price.
Could do with 256 ram instead of 128 and a better battery but it looks quite capable and a good hacking platform to start off with.

I'd probably get one later just for reading ebooks and news sites etc. :)

Even as just an ebook reader, it's dead cheap. And I seem to recall being happy enough that my Pandora would have 128mb. How much does Android need, realistically?

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
Seems to good to be true, for the price. Is there a catch?

Have you managed to work out what the processor is? Best I can find is that it is probably an ARM926. Even if it really is 600MHz I'm not sure this would make it too interesting (despite the price).

I LIKE THAT!

I want an Android device..
I was going to hack my iPhone and install Android.. Stuff it.

A 600MHZ low end arm is nothing special without some other good hardware.
Like a PowerVR! :D

There are heaps of cheap android "phones" on ebay and most are around 300-600mhz and about $100.

You do know that you can not access the Android Store on a non legitimate Android (Google) device?
You can hack android on anything but no Android Store because it's closed source.

anyone seenn a uk source for these, id take punt for £75, but with dealextreme there will probably be customes to pay (if you get caught)

kingoddball said:
You do know that you can not access the Android Store on a non legitimate Android (Google) device?
You can hack android on anything but no Android Store because it's closed source.
I believe you can also hack the closed source Android Store binaries into an unofficial image.

EDIT: on topic: this seems too good to be true, so I'm assuming it is.

fragglerok said:
anyone seenn a uk source for these, id take punt for £75, but with dealextreme there will probably be customes to pay (if you get caught)
I would imagine that many purporting to be UK sellers of the device (on, for example, eBay or similar), would actually be drop-shipping from DealExtreme anyway. That seems to be the case with a lot of these things.

Unless a new revision of wm8505 came out, that CPU is 300mhz, and has the 300mhz H.264 decoder added on top. (not that there's any drivers for that...)

I'm in an IRC channel with some guys trying to hack Linux onto the netbooks powered by these. No drivers or working kernel yet, but they did get Debian working with an Android kernel - sort of. You need to run as root, and lots of stuff is broken. :lol:

But if you don't mind working within Android 1.6, and don't expect any OS updates, it should be fun to play with. ;)

P.S. Most Android games expect faster CPUs, so they won't run well on one of these.

Back