Maelstrom By Ambrosia - Anyone Got It Working On Pandora?

thepook

Still Fresh
http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/index.html

A great Asteroids clone from back in the day. If you like retro games and have never played it, highly recommended!

It's been ported to Linux, but I can't get that version working on my Pandora. Any suggestions on how to open these RPM package files? And will it work if I do?

That wont work. The RPMs have the binaries compiled for x86 architecture. Pandora uses arm architecture.

But source code is available. Someone must compile it for the pandora, which should be easy enough since it uses SDL. I'd try to do it but I still have not fully restored my pandora dev environment yet.

joseluisjazz said:
That wont work. The RPMs have the binaries compiled for x86 architecture. Pandora uses arm architecture.

Bummer.

joseluisjazz said:
But source code is available. Someone must compile it for the pandora, which should be easy enough since it uses SDL. I'd try to do it but I still have not fully restored my pandora dev environment yet.

Have you ever played it? Lots of fun. The Windows port is good, though I don't think it has the Bryan Adams sound samples from "Summer of `69" in that version. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Best I found was this.. Actually pretty spot on from the original looking at screenshots. http://sourceforge.net/projects/avoidtheroid/

Just noticed on their website it's multi-player..

single.png

skeezix said:
The source link is broken, so you're out of luck :/ Try contacting the developers to fix their link :)
Or make do with the source RPM or the "Windows" zip file ;-)

TrashyMG said:
Best I found was this.. Actually pretty spot on from the original looking at screenshots.

That's cool, but is it a Windows port? They already did one of those on the original page.

I can't run Windows apps on the Pandora w/o an emulator or the op system, correct?

thepook said:
TrashyMG said:
Best I found was this.. Actually pretty spot on from the original looking at screenshots.

That's cool, but is it a Windows port? They already did one of those on the original page.

I can't run Windows apps on the Pandora w/o an emulator or the op system, correct?

If you click on View All Files, it will show the Unix source files.. They seem to think people want to see the windows one by default.

TrashyMG said:
If you click on View All Files, it will show the Unix source files.. They seem to think people want to see the windows one by default.

Ah, okay.

Do these have to be compiled for Pandora?

thepook said:
TrashyMG said:

Ah, okay.

Yeah, I'm trying to get it compiled for regular X86 linux at them moment. Seems I'm have a stumbling block on getting openAL to play nice. I'm not a pro like Pickle or DjWillis on porting things, I can stumble through things though.

TrashyMG said:
thepook said:
TrashyMG said:

Ah, okay.

Yeah, I'm trying to get it compiled for regular X86 linux at them moment. Seems I'm have a stumbling block on getting openAL to play nice. I'm not a pro like Pickle or DjWillis on porting things, I can stumble through things though.

That's cool you're working on it. Are you already famiiar with the game - ever play it?

Ooo, I love Ambrosia SW's games, especially the Escape Velocity series. Other great ambrosia games were Aperion, Avara and.. I think it was Bubble Trouble? They all have great gameplay, music and artwork.

Another old mac game I loved was Realmz from Fantasoft, but unfortunately Fantasoft seems to have disappeared along with the source code.

quartercast said:
Another old mac game I loved was Realmz from Fantasoft, but unfortunately Fantasoft seems to have disappeared along with the source code.
They don't seem to have quite disappeared as much as you think, and they've even released the Mac and Windows versions as freeware* (instructions at that link).

No source though, no. Perhaps playable under an emulator on the Pandy someday?

*well not freeware as such I guess, but they're giving away free registration codes for it. Close. :)

Back