Mame 2.7 Released

Very very nice! There is a nice speed improvement. I can tell in the CPS1 games and Aero Fighters. Thanks!

Does this open the door for CPS2, perhaps?

And much thanks to Franxis for this version -- such a wonderful emulator!

gaterooze posted on Sep 16 2006 at 04:44 PM said:
Does this open the door for CPS2, perhaps?

And much thanks to Franxis for this version -- such a wonderful emulator!

Possibly, but I think Fast Mame is the one you'd have to use. Hopefully if it is ever accomplished, the roms would be fairly compatible in the Fast Mame version.

Last edited by a moderator:
subcon959 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 04:59 PM said:
On Arkanoid II, does anyone else get the paddle zooming off to the far right everytime you press left?

Yes. Sadly it happened in all the versions 2.7 versions of MAME. :(

Arkanoid 1 is fine though. I wonder what the cause is?

CPS-2 was implmented in a later version of MAME, 0.37b12 or so.

I was just testing Final Fight and I found that there were some graphic corruption at the end of the game, when your character is blowing out the dynamite. Is this due to the MMU hack?

Also, I was wonder if there could be an FPS display added - otherwise it's hard to tell what speed the game is actually running at. Is this possible Franxis?

I noticed the same corruption as slaanesh on Final Fight.. I also couldn't mange to continue the game when that happened even though I had credits left.

geise69 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Very very nice! There is a nice speed improvement. I can tell in the CPS1 games and Aero Fighters. Thanks!
Does the music still die shortly after the game starts? :(

Epicenter posted on Sep 17 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
geise69 posted on Sep 16 2006 at 11:18 AM said:
Does the music still die shortly after the game starts? :(

As long as you don't use fast mame then it's fine. Just use the regular or compatible versions.

Epicenter posted on Sep 17 2006 at 09:46 AM said:
.... how slow is non-fast MAME? :) Probably not an issue since every version I've tried so far ran stable at 305 MHz, but still worth asking...

The compatible version is slower than the regular version of 2.7 mame. I overclock to 285 and it seems to only frameskip once in a while. The game itself has slowdown so it's a pretty accurate speed in the regular mame. (espeially if you're OCing to 305) ;)

Is there a chance that as well as being able to select original, portrait and fit screen that there could be a fit screen but maintain original aspect ratio mode pls? I find things look abit jaggy atm, hope this is easy to do =) thanks for a great emu!!!!

Fast, Slow and Compatible modes only vary by the CPU core used.

The fast version uses the DRZ80 ASM core (+ all the other standard 'C' CPU cores).
The standard version uses the Cyclone 68K ASM core (+ all the other standard 'C' CPU cores).
The compatible version used the 68K 'C' core (+ all the other standard 'C' CPU cores).

The only speed differences you will see in the fast version is if the game actually uses a Z80 CPU.
Any other speed improvements are probably your imaginiation. :)
That's why I'd like to see an FPS display, so we can objectively determine speed differences when tweaking the settings.

The problem is that compatibility with the DRZ80 core is fairly low - many games do not work.
The best overall choice is just to use the standard version.

With Notaz's recent improvements to Cyclone, I don't know of any 68K games that still require the compatible version.

Strange, I was sure the fault with Aero Fighters was with the YM2610 emulation, since the sound effects still work. It sounds just like if you boot up a Sega Genesis/MegaDrive and then manually crash the YM2612. The music stops or hangs on a note, and the sound effects keep playing because the Z80 is still operational. The same behavior remained in GnGeo2x running Aero Fighters 2/3 even! But whatever, if it works... why question it.

Back