Mame Built For Speed

christo930

I was wondering if anyone tried porting the gp2x version to mame to the pc? It seems to me that it's faster and supports more games than the pc port o the same version and I would imagine it would be a relatively simple port. Has anyone ever tried it? What about a MAC X PPC version? My Emac 700mhz is useless with modern mame versions and since it's based on BSD I would think it would be even more simple to port. Can anyone try it if it hasn't been done yet?

Chris

christo930 said:
I was wondering if anyone tried porting the gp2x version to mame to the pc? It seems to me that it's faster and supports more games than the pc port o the same version and I would imagine it would be a relatively simple port. Has anyone ever tried it? What about a MAC X PPC version? My Emac 700mhz is useless with modern mame versions and since it's based on BSD I would think it would be even more simple to port. Can anyone try it if it hasn't been done yet?

Chris

Arnt some of the processors done in arm asm?

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:

Chris

The only GP2X optimized portions of the MAME port that I'm aware of are the interpreter cores done in ARM assembly. These can't be ran on an x86 or PPC. That aside, there wouldn't be much point since they're mostly used to emulate pretty slow CPUs.

The other advantage the version of MAME for GP2X has is that it's old, and maybe is faster than a newer one since the MAME devs may have done things to slow it down since. So you might want to try an older version of MAME instead.

Exophase said:
christo930 said:

Chris

The only GP2X optimized portions of the MAME port that I'm aware of are the interpreter cores done in ARM assembly. These can't be ran on an x86 or PPC. That aside, there wouldn't be much point since they're mostly used to emulate pretty slow CPUs.

The other advantage the version of MAME for GP2X has is that it's old, and maybe is faster than a newer one since the MAME devs may have done things to slow it down since. So you might want to try an older version of MAME instead.

I had thought that it had other optimizations. Oh, well. Thanks for replying.

Older PC versions of MAME used ASM for M68000 and Z80 anyway. They also had some nice/fast ASM blitter code as well as sprinklings of other inline ASM here and there. So they'd be pretty fast "as-is". *shrugs*

I supposed you could create a nice version of MAME based on MAME4ALL for PCs which would run probably quite well on older hardware, like Pentium 233 (ro less) type machines, etc.

I still run MAME 0.37b16 on my PC as it's the fastest version that supports just about (not quite) all the games I like anyway.

I also run the latest MAME to play older games using the DISCRETE sound drivers. ie no samples required.

Back