Mame Gp2x 2.5 - Bosconian Working?

I have the same problem with a lot of Namco games, namely Bosconian, Pac-Man, Jr, Pac-Man, Xevious, and Gaplus (sigh). They're extremely finicky. Clrmame has not solved this problem, so I think the only solution is to get a real, bonafide MAME .34 set for these, unfortunately.

Robotube posted on Aug 24 2006 at 03:08 AM said:
I have the same problem with a lot of Namco games, namely Bosconian, Pac-Man, Jr, Pac-Man, Xevious, and Gaplus (sigh). They're extremely finicky. Clrmame has not solved this problem, so I think the only solution is to get a real, bonafide MAME .34 set for these, unfortunately.

Bosconian does not work in MAME GP2X 2.5, i'm trying to find the problem... It runs ok with MAME GP2X 2.4...

Pacman, Xevious, Gaplus, etc run without problems with the standard executable...

Last edited by a moderator:
Pepper II doesn't work anymore either. There is no sound so it is not a big deal that it isn't working (I use the Coleco version) just thought I would let you know in case it helps bug tracking.

Franxis posted on Aug 24 2006 at 05:51 AM said:
Robotube posted on Aug 24 2006 at 03:08 AM said:

Bosconian does not work in MAME GP2X 2.5, i'm trying to find the problem... It runs ok with MAME GP2X 2.4...

Pacman, Xevious, Gaplus, etc run without problems with the standard executable...

Hmmm... Just to assist, I haven't been able to run Bosconia Namco or Midway versions in mamegp2x v2.3, 2.4, or 2.5. I've used clrmame and romcenter to knockback 1.03 and 1.06 version of this rom back to 0.34 but no go. 1.03 and 1.06 versions don't even get to the black screen so romcenter / clrmame must be renaming / modifying enough files right at least.

Pac-Man and Xevious runs fine.

Ok, i'm trying to solve the problem with Bosconian and Pepper 2...
Any more games running on MAME GP2X 2.4 and not running in 2.5???

Also another question... Games with more sound in MAME GP32 than GP2X? I have already fixed Donkey Kong, 8080 B/W games... Any more???

Franxis posted on Sep 1 2006 at 05:50 PM said:
Also another question... Games with more sound in MAME GP32 than GP2X? I have already fixed Donkey Kong, 8080 B/W games... Any more???
I updated battlezone, phoenix, berzerk, zektor, 8080bw, donkey kong.

slaanesh posted on Sep 1 2006 at 08:30 AM said:

Ok, all of those games are running ok now. Thanks Slaanesh.

Bosconian is working ok in MAME GP32 2.2 ???

Franxis posted on Sep 1 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
slaanesh posted on Sep 1 2006 at 08:30 AM said:

Ok, all of those games are running ok now. Thanks Slaanesh.

Bosconian works fine on GP32 MAME v2.2 (apart from being a little slow).

It takes about 15-20 seconds to start up. First black, then flashing characters.

Franxis posted on Sep 1 2006 at 11:05 AM said:

I would like to play Bosconian on GP32 (MAME 2.3). But at startup it can't find a rom: 2300.n3 or something. Is this rom in another gameset? Or to put it another way: should I try to rebuild with CLRmame using all ROMS? I just rebuilded it using the bosco* romsets.

UPDATE:
I figured out that one 256byte file is missing in the ROM: bosco.spr
Can't find it on the net, maybe it was removed somewhen between 0.34 and 1.07.

thanks,
CreatureXL (creature-at-tscc-dot-de)

Creature XL posted on Mar 7 2007 at 03:13 AM said:
Franxis posted on Sep 1 2006 at 11:05 AM said:

I would like to play Bosconian on GP32 (MAME 2.3). But at startup it can't find a rom: 2300.n3 or something. Is this rom in another gameset? Or to put it another way: should I try to rebuild with CLRmame using all ROMS? I just rebuilded it using the bosco* romsets.

UPDATE:
I figured out that one 256byte file is missing in the ROM: bosco.spr
Can't find it on the net, maybe it was removed somewhen between 0.34 and 1.07.

thanks,
CreatureXL (creature-at-tscc-dot-de)

These are the files that you will need to run Bosconian on the GP32: I've included a CRC32

mame034 GP32/bosco> crc32 *
db6128b0 2300.3n
86907614 2400.3m
a21fae11 2500.3l
11d6ae23 2600.3k
7254e65e 2700.3j
31b8c648 2800.3h
d45a4911 2900.3e
09acc978 4900.5n
e571e959 5000.5m
17ac9511 5100.5l
e869219c 5200.5e
a956d3c5 5300.5d
4e15d59c bosco.4m
d2b96fb0 bosco.6b
ee8ca3a8 bosco.spr

If you can find bosco.zip that's compatible with the GP2X or PalmMAME (I think) then it's the same file for the GP32.

As for CLRMAME, it's not 100% reliable as it can't magically convert ROMs. This is a common misconception. The only thing that it CAN do is rename ROMs within the ZIP file.

I hope this helps.

Heh, Bosconian seems to be my arch nemesis. During the recent mame 0.112 to 0.113 releases they finally replaced some samples by emulating two of the sound chips. Broke it when i upgraded to 0.114 and subsequently 0.115.

BTW, does anyone have the hi score save working?

Fat Agnus said:
BTW, does anyone have the hi score save working?
If you're talking about the latest "PC" MAME versions, then high-score saving was removed a while ago - it caused a lot of problems, and wasn't considered to be a true documentation of the original arcade's behaviour.

Some third-party builds of MAME (MAME-FX, iirc) still has high-score saving.

For GP2X - I had no idea that it ever supported high-score saving at all :)

D.

I don't think MAME is complete without HI-SCORE saving. If it's problematic in later versions of MAME, it certainly isn't in the older versions like 0.34/0.35.

The newer methods of hi-score saving used a file which indicated what region of memory should be saved and when.

The older method was to have a special function built in to the code for each driver which pretty much did the same thing.

GP2X MAME hi score saving is fully working and works really well for most games.

As for Bosconian sounds finally being emulated correctly, it may be possible to shoe horn it in, but in all honesty may be difficult and only marginally worth the while to do so.

I think the "loss of sound" requires a solution - and was looking at the code fixes in gpSP which has a related problem with the sound thread.

Bosconian on the GP2X still has other problems apart from the sound. And anyway, the samples it uses are okay for most sounds. There is still a pending sample update that needs to go into MAME which will allow it to play some more sounds - this may help Bosconian. I'll give it a try later.

slaanesh said:
GP2X MAME hi score saving is fully working and works really well for most games.

Bosconian on the GP2X still has other problems apart from the sound. And anyway, the samples it uses are okay for most sounds. There is still a pending sample update that needs to go into MAME which will allow it to play some more sounds - this may help Bosconian. I'll give it a try later.

How does this high score saving work on the Gp2X? Does it just save automatically only when you break the high score or does it compare the high score on the card to what you have in the game when you exit?

Samples are still a bit wonky in many old games like DKjr, DK etc. They are kind of scratchy but mostly the volumes are very inconsistant. Some sounds are too quiet while others too loud (DKjr comes to mind). DK will play distorted in the opening sequence then correct itself after awhile. It will also start loud and then get quieter after you play a few seconds. DKjr does weird things like when you land after a jump a staticky extra sound is played. Do you know what causes these things?

DaveC said:
How does this high score saving work on the Gp2X? Does it just save automatically only when you break the high score or does it compare the high score on the card to what you have in the game when you exit?
All it does is save the area of memory that contains the scores and reloads them again when the game starts.
This happens when the game starts up (restore hi score memory area) and then at the end when you exit (saves hi score memory area).
There's no need for comparisons it's just like a mini savestate for that part of memory.

DaveC said:
Samples are still a bit wonky in many old games like DKjr, DK etc. They are kind of scratchy but mostly the volumes are very inconsistant. Some sounds are too quiet while others too loud (DKjr comes to mind). DK will play distorted in the opening sequence then correct itself after awhile. It will also start loud and then get quieter after you play a few seconds. DKjr does weird things like when you land after a jump a staticky extra sound is played. Do you know what causes these things?
Not really. Timing issues? Bad sample implementation code? Inaccurate mixing? I'm not really sure and I haven't looked into it that much. Sorry.

slaanesh said:
I don't think MAME is complete without HI-SCORE saving. If it's problematic in later versions of MAME, it certainly isn't in the older versions like 0.34/0.35.
The problem is that the MAME team are trying to become more and more accurate with each release - with everything emulated in software (including things like 3D accelerator boards, instead of doing the sane thing and passing that back to the host machine). It's one of the reasons the newer versions are so unbelievably slow.

The only machines that saved their scores after being powered off were the ones with NVRAM-style facilities, and these are emulated correctly. I recall one of the biggest problems was that a game, having had the emulation finally fixed after many years, was found not to work at all - and it was because the hiscore system was corrupting RAM during startup. Removing the whole hiscore saving system was a little extreme, but it did mean that the MAME devs could concentrate on bugs in emulation without it getting in the way.

Of course, the entire purpose of MAME is to document the hardware. You're not supposed to use it for playing the games at all - that's just a nice side effect of the project. Playing the games is still illegal, no matter what excuses people bring up ("I already own the boards", "I have a broken ROM" etc).

Doesn't stop people like me though... :)

D.

Dunny said:
slaanesh said:
The only machines that saved their scores after being powered off were the ones with NVRAM-style facilities, and these are emulated correctly.

You're not supposed to use it for playing the games at all - that's just a nice side effect of the project.

Doesn't stop people like me though... :)

I use it to document my playing prowess -or lack there of - and recording the high scores is critical to that!
Yes, only some games had NVRAM to store their hi-scores, but screw it - one reason emulators are good is because you can do things which weren't possible before - like savestates, pausing, remote multi-player... and hi score saving! If the MAME team wanted to be total anal about emulating the machines then they should insist on coin slots as well. :D

Back