Mame Gp2x 3.8

Micket said:
About the issue with randomly broken sound; I've encountered a very similiar problem with oldplay.
Sometimes when i use SDL_OpenAudio i get the wrong frequency (even though it claims i get what i asked for), and sometimes it just gets quiet, and sometimes the callback function for the audio buffer is never called. When this happens and i try to close the audio the gp2x lock up (no segfault or anything, forcing me to restart it through the power switch)
Even gdb didn't manage to give me much information. If i remember correctly it waited for the threads to join and it seems it never happens.

Well, enough ranting about oldplay.
Franxis; Does Mame Gp2x close and reopen audio every time you change the game?
If so, this might be the cause for the random quietness/crashes described here.
And, if not, then nevermind me.
No, it is not the case:
- I open the audio only once when the application starts.
- I close only when the application ends.

The problem is on the MAME hardware sound drivers: init driver - close driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
muchas muchas gracias amgio :)

awesome work franxis :D gp32_console

... now if only some could make wwf wrestlefest work :)

Franxis said:
The problem is on the MAME hardware sound drivers: init driver - close driver.
Certainly the ym2203 :-/

Black Tiger is a good case in point. 1943 also can make the sound disappear. I'm going to have a good look tonight at the sound driver code.

Franxis, the auto frameskip problem with the vsync on is possible to fix?

When i set auto and vsync i only get 36-38 of maximun framerate when in some games you can get higher frames.

I solved that setting manual skip to 0.

I like vsync, in the most of the games play without vsync is horrible.

Ah, well that sort of makes sense as it's NOT sensible to frameskip with vsync on.

Perhaps if one of the vsync options is selected the code should override the frameskip option to equal zero?

TelcoLou said:
Any idea what's going on with the sounds in Star Trek? It seems to only play a few samples, and no sound effects at all ... I think there was a version that DID play all the sounds, but I fear my memory may be playing tricks with me ...
I'll look into this too. I think I can see some problems.

EDIT: Okay well samples/startrek.zip is missing many samples. MANY samples... Grrr... All the sound effects for example.

Anyway, I've made some more improvements to the sample code, I hope this should help somewhat. Of course, I can't help the situation where the actual sample files are missing.

Full startrek sample set now, it's a lot nicer with all the sounds! :)
Galaga explosion sound fixed.

Franxis said:
I added another game: Turtle Ship.

http://www.mameworld.net/maws/romset/turtship

Regards.

Great :)
I like it :)

Franxis, ¿is it possible you can add Slanesh code to the next release? No hangs and better sound samples will be great :)

Thnak you Franxis, when i turn On your Mame port i cannot stop playing a lot of games till the batteries are empty :)

Rivroner said:
Franxis, ¿is it possible you can add Slanesh code to the next release? No hangs and better sound samples will be great :)
Of course, i also accept contributions from anybody else...

I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question, but is there any way to get this game added to Mame GP2X?

Hat Trick

Thanks for considering and thanks for the work on this essential emulator. It's very, very appreciated by folks like me.

-pughead

slaanesh said:
TelcoLou said:
Any idea what's going on with the sounds in Star Trek? It seems to only play a few samples, and no sound effects at all ... I think there was a version that DID play all the sounds, but I fear my memory may be playing tricks with me ...
I'll look into this too. I think I can see some problems.

EDIT: Okay well samples/startrek.zip is missing many samples. MANY samples... Grrr... All the sound effects for example.

Anyway, I've made some more improvements to the sample code, I hope this should help somewhat. Of course, I can't help the situation where the actual sample files are missing.

Full startrek sample set now, it's a lot nicer with all the sounds! :)
Galaga explosion sound fixed.

AWEsome!!! Thanks :)

pughead said:
I apologize if this isn't an appropriate question, but is there any way to get this game added to Mame GP2X?

Hat Trick

Thanks for considering and thanks for the work on this essential emulator. It's very, very appreciated by folks like me.

-pughead

Or donkey Kong Ex , or my favorite rampart ... or just a patch so i can compile my own :)

How about all of the sounds missing in the Exide games like PepperII or Venture, are those samples? Also Frogger sound is quite messed up. I think it was fixed in a newer MAME version like .36 though not sure.

PepperII is beyond help for 0.34/0.35. I had a look at that previously. MAME would really need to move to 0.36 MAME as it uses a totally custom sound driver (not samples).

Frogger? I can't remember the sound being that bad? Music. Froggy ribbits when you move. Jingle a the end. What more do you want? :)

I know Solomons Key worked in previous versions but It had a security lockup at one point.
I was wondering if you could work the fix for it into a current build (forgive me if it is already I havent tried the latest build or so.)

I know this was patched at some point in mame history.

greenmikey said:
I know Solomons Key worked in previous versions but It had a security lockup at one point.
I was wondering if you could work the fix for it into a current build (forgive me if it is already I havent tried the latest build or so.)

I know this was patched at some point in mame history.
Hey, what a great game!
Okay, I've made the fix according to MAME 0.91u1. This is what the fix does:

CODE
this is checked on the title screen and when you reach certain scores in the game it could be a form of protection. the real board needs to be analysed to find out what really lives here

When does the protection issue usually become apparent for you so I can test it?

slaanesh said:
Frogger? I can't remember the sound being that bad? Music. Froggy ribbits when you move. Jingle a the end. What more do you want? :)
It is very quiet and the speed/tempo of the music is WAY off.

DaveC said:
slaanesh said:
It is very quiet and the speed/tempo of the music is WAY off.

Some sound drivers are directly linked to clock speed of the sound CPU/driver.

So for example, if you underclock to 80%, the tempo will be at only 80%

I know this happens with Konami games like Tutankham, Pooyan and TimePilot.
It may also happen to others like Frogger.

If you are not already, set the audio clock to 100%.

If you are, well, I'm not sure. I can have a quick look.

Back