Mame In The Future?

1magus

I was wondering if in the near future anybody plans to port the full Mame to Pandora? Because I would love to play hardware like Sega 32 and more advanced machines such as early 3D arcade machines possible.

Well my original Xbox has mame, and none of the 3D games run more than 5fps or something. Pandora is roughly as powerful as an Xbox (similar cpu performance, but more RAM) from what I gather.

There are many threads about MAME, like this one found with google search http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/51589-the-power-of-mame/

Last edited by a moderator:
SomeGuy99 said:
Well my original Xbox has mame, and none of the 3D games run more than 5fps or something. Pandora is roughly as powerful as an Xbox (similar cpu performance, but more RAM) from what I gather.
What 3D games are you attempting to run?

And yes we all know how to use Google but I don't feel like reviving a thread from January.

I'm hoping whoever takes up the challenge will do so with taking advantage of the Pandora's analog controls if possible. Anyone remember Front Line?

I hope to donate to developers who do things like this as well.

Waiting for UPS...

Peace and Cannapsules!

Link

Well I was hoping more developers would pick up on new projects as more Pandora's enter the wild.

TylerAW said:
SomeGuy99 said:

And yes we all know how to use Google but I don't feel like reviving a thread from January.

slaanesh said:
I will very interested in porting a later version of MAME to the Pandora. MAME v0.106 is actually a pretty good base as is the older Xbox version which was MAME v0.84.

As silver said, from a pure "I just want to play the games" point of view - not gaining a lot from later versions. Well, until Raiden II is finally converted (probably my all time favourite arcade shooter).

Also the need for Cyclone and DrZ80 will probably be diminished with the Pandora. Games that used 68000 CPUs probably hit their peak with what the Wiz can already reasonably emulate. If the Pandora is 3x - 4x faster (for example) than a Wiz is there any need to emulate a game that many times faster if it already runs at 100% on the lesser hardware? I'd say probably not. But we'll see soon enough.

Prophet said:
joshwaan2k said:
Also do you guys think the first Tekken will be playable in MAME?

Playable... I'll guess maybe at 900Mhz but with frame skipping and no sound. You're far better off playing the PSX Tekkens (they have more features anyway) - MAME is not so good for speed.

Some posts by Gurus found in previous MAME threads

Mame focuses on accuracy over playability. In the long run it will work out. You really need a 4ghz C2D to play games like Blitz3D and the newer gauntlet. I doubt any mid 90s and beyond arcade games will ever run on pandora.

Mame on the pandora would be brilliant.I would gladly pay into a dev fund for this.Also for UAE4all which i hope will
be further perfected,as it is a quick port at the moment.(Though much appreciated)Perfect amiga emulation is all i want

What versions are the other systems using?(by which I mean portables, Pandora might have as much raw power as an xbox but I wouldnt expect coded emulators to be on exactly the same footing) I'd hope ours would catch up in a relatively short time frame if it's not already the same.

Alpha2 said:
What versions are the other systems using?(by which I mean portables, Pandora might have as much raw power as an xbox but I wouldnt expect coded emulators to be on exactly the same footing) I'd hope ours would catch up in a relatively short time frame if it's not already the same.
I noticed earlier versions of MAME (That is MAME that runs on Windows) added support for games like Gauntlet Dark Legacy but than in the newer versions they removed it.

Hmm.. Am I correct in thinking that most MAME (Arcade) games are on home console anyway?

For fighting games: Mortal Kombat 1 upto Ultimate MK3 is on sega mega drive. Street figher is great on SNES!

For Tekkon 1/2/3 and MK trilogy and MK4, they're on PSX.

N64 has some good games.

Sega Saturn has great games, but NO WORKING emulator for Pandora, maybe one day.

Why not (as posted above) play them on the full speed (nearly for N64) emulators for home consoles?

Arcade versions are generally better all around, graphics/smoothness/sound.

As I understand it part of the reason some games dont work with later versions of MAME is that they make alterations to the code that are meant to make it more compatible with more games the down side is when they loose certain games but gain more games in the process with the hope that those other games will either be fixed by changing something in the rom or in MAME later.

Sometimes they seem to fork off to other versions of MAME for specific compatibilty with lost games as I discovered with the game Cannon Dancer/Osman.

kingoddball said:
Hmm.. Am I correct in thinking that most MAME (Arcade) games are on home console anyway?

For fighting games: Mortal Kombat 1 upto Ultimate MK3 is on sega mega drive. Street figher is great on SNES!

For Tekkon 1/2/3 and MK trilogy and MK4, they're on PSX.

N64 has some good games.

Sega Saturn has great games, but NO WORKING emulator for Pandora, maybe one day.

Why not (as posted above) play them on the full speed (nearly for N64) emulators for home consoles?

Yeah, I would think most arcade games have home versions on consoles that will be emulated better outside of MAME.

Additionally, a lot of arcade games are better emulated in FinalBurnAlpha (CPS1, CPS2, NeoGeo). That accounts for a large portion of popular Saturn arcade ports.

And who knows...maybe we'll see Yabause on Pandora.

Elanzer said:

You're most likely correct, but can I give a smart ass answer <_< ?
If MAME is slow as a dog, what's the point of the better graphics? Just play the home versions. Graphics/sound/detail may be slightly worse, but they're far more playable. ;)

kingoddball said:
Elanzer said:

If MAME is slow as a dog, what's the point of the better graphics? Just play the home versions. Graphics/sound/detail may be slightly worse, but they're far more playable. ;)
MAME will be fine with what its meant for.
Late 90s games are the issue regarding slow, FinalBurnAlpha or CP3 should allow some progress beyond MAME.

Peace & cannabis,

Link

kingoddball said:
Elanzer said:

Well there will probably never be a decent-speed home-console emulator that can play Sega Rally, Daytona(*probably), Virtua Fighter 2 (*and maybe 3) and probably a whole host of other games (these are just the ones that are important to me). Virtua Racing may be playable on 32X, but while that's a great game in its own right, it's nothing like the Arcade version.

The ones which have a * by them may be playable via nullDC some day :)

TylerAW said:
SomeGuy99 said:

All of them. I got Rad Racer going reasonably, but that's not even full 3D.

Back