Mame Running On Pandora. Video(s) Inside.

Frankly speaking I wasn't really worried about MAME ports. It also works very good on the GP2X.
Aren't there games that are too slow on the GP2X? Would be nice to see something Pandora will do better than the GP2X.

Nevertheless, great job, good to see more ports coming :)

zodttd said:
Hopefully this motivates Franxis. I personally want to see the latest version of MAME ported, if feasible. If Franxis is up for it, that would be awesome. If not, I'm sure others like me are wanting in on it too! :)
Great video Zodttd!. It seems to run very well... Nice to know it was easy to do the port... Personally i want to see a complete real Pandora console in action... Probably i will buy one (after the first batch).

I'm pretty sure MAME4ALL will run at 100% in both Pandora and Wiz consoles.

To see Pandora real power, my objective would be a MAME 0.84 port (the one used for the XBox port).

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be great, I would love to have Virtua Racing running on it, sure its a long shot and would need probably the GPU in conjunction with the CPU to run it, so a lot of coding, but its a challenge, i hope someone is up for something like that!

WOW! This is fantastic! Between this and Amiga its just getting better and better! :D Personally i'd like to see Double Dragon running!

Franxis said:
zodttd said:
Hopefully this motivates Franxis. I personally want to see the latest version of MAME ported, if feasible. If Franxis is up for it, that would be awesome. If not, I'm sure others like me are wanting in on it too! :)
Great video Zodttd!. It seems to run very well... Nice to know it was easy to do the port... Personally i want to see a complete real Pandora console in action... Probably i will buy one (after the first batch).

I'm pretty sure MAME4ALL will run at 100% in both Pandora and Wiz consoles.

To see Pandora real power, my objective would be a MAME 0.84 port (the one used for the XBox port).

Franxis - I remember that Craig offered you a FREE one for helping to develop this emulator. I hope that offer's still on the table for you to accept - because honestly, improvements in MAME are the things I'm most looking forward to on Pandora since N64 is currently off the board. I'm crossing my fingers.

BTW - is it even conceivable to add save states to MAME? I don't think I've ever seen that on the versions of MAME I've used - certainly not the portables.

I posted in the other thread also.................

Some games I would love to see in the video are: Galaga, Pac-Man, Joust (like you said) and Space Invaders /Deluxe ,Defender, Gorf, Tron, Asteroids, Frogger, Donket Kong, Tempest ,Galaxian, Pooyan, Ms. pac-Man, Scramble, Berzerk, Centipede, Pheonix, Q*Bert, Robotron, Stargate, Qix, Moon patrol, Star castle, Astro Invader and one obscure game that took me time to find and not sure how hard it is to find: Quasar (weird but i used to play it and it's kinda fun) I don't expect you can put all of these so any of these would be awesome or all of them So many games, so little time !

I would love to see as many as possible in a video !!! This is my most anticipated emulator by far.................

Question by the way which I have asked but you may have the answer. Will this emulator have auto save for high scores if the original arcade machines did? The version I have on my PC does (not save states but permanently saved high scores)

Thanks for the work you are doing.......much appreciated:) I am a 70's , 80's accade freak and am drooling at the thought of having quality portable versions of these classic games. That alone makes the Pandora worth it to me....Priceless:)

PolloLoco said:
Franxis - I remember that Craig offered you a FREE one for helping to develop this emulator. I hope that offer's still on the table for you to accept
+1
Franxis said:
craigix said:
Franxis and Slaanesh are on the free Pandora list if they want one :)
Thanks but i will wait for the console to be sold. I have a lack of spare time, i don't know if i will have enough time and interest to do the port, i want to see the console in action, and finally messing with the old GP2X prototype wasn't a very pleasant experience.

It also seems Slaanesh is interested, i'm sure he will do a great work :) . Go, go, go, Slaanesh B) !.Time, interest and real console seems to be the previous shortcomings. Interest might be back, craigix might offer a real console, then with a bit of time, hopefully...

Anyways, nice work Zodttd, and thanks for the update. 2 hours? Amazing.

I won't ask to add anymore games to the video, but could you turn on the FPS counter for the video?

PolloLoco said:
Franxis - I remember that Craig offered you a FREE one for helping to develop this emulator. I hope that offer's still on the table for you to accept - because honestly, improvements in MAME are the things I'm most looking forward to on Pandora since N64 is currently off the board. I'm crossing my fingers.

BTW - is it even conceivable to add save states to MAME? I don't think I've ever seen that on the versions of MAME I've used - certainly not the portables.
Yes, Craig offered a Pandora prototype for free... But honestly i don't want to mess with prototypes... As i have said several times i will wait to see complete Pandora consoles in action. If i have to wait for the second batch there is no problem for me... Anyway it is nice to see the Zodttd fast MAME4ALL port :)

I've been away all week traveling.

This is superb news to come back to! I knew Pandora could handle a good MAME port of course, but seeing it actually done and running is still very exciting.

As for games to video... I saw lots of good ones listed already, so I'll just add a great Capcom oldie:

Black Tiger

7zark7 said:
what about namco system 1 games like splatterhouse ?

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spatterhouse !!!!!!!!!!!!!! loved that one :)

From the video page "zodttd (18 hours ago) "
This is Outrun running on the Pandora. I ported it from mame4all which was on the GP2X. mame4all uses the 0.37 MAME Romset. I'm very tempted to port the latest MAME to Pandora to push further the now 2000 games able to be run on it. Pandora YAY! :)

This would be awsome :) Go Zodttd Go :p :blink: :D :eek: :rolleyes: B) ....Bud

I've been waiting for a mobile version of Space Harrier that's both arcade perfect and fullspeed.... I'd be uber excited to see that.

Although the OutRun video should tell me how well Space Harrier runs....

superb video and great work on the mame port,i would have asked for outrun and i was given outrun so yey ! but would also love to see ..

super hangon ( please please please )
thunderblade
simpsons
tmnt
chase HQ
outrunners
turbo outrun
aero fighters - sonic wings 1
elevator action 1-2

other games that prolly wont see untill mame 110 + is emulated
would be ..
virtua racing - virtua fighter tho 32x can do a good vf and vr.

again well done and thanks for the video

Wow! I landed up falling out with some good ole' knock out sleep from staying up too late. But I will spend half of today doing videos. :)

The list grew pretty quick! :)

MAME v0.37 which mame4all is based on is a good choice for slower handhelds, but it didn't have savestates properly done yet. Newer MAME versions have savestates.

I may just give the latest MAME a look and see if it can be ported in the coming day(s). :)

Franxis: Truly great work!

OH! Super Hang-on would make an awesome video! I love that game so much! Wonder about Pole Position too!

As mentioned earlier by Chip I would be interested in helping out. MAME (arcade games) is my number one emulation interest.
In the current 0.37 build, try some of the following games:

* Raiden
* R-Type
* Dragon Breed
* Mortal Kombat

They use V30 and TMS34010 CPUs which are slower to emulate.

Also the multi 6809 games such as

* Galaga '88
* Dragon Spirit
* Jackal

Also multi 68K games:

* Dragon Saber
* Gradius II (Vulcun Venture)

I'd love to get some performance feedback on these as GP2X will never play these anywhere close to fullspeed.

As Franxis said, and I think I've previously chatted to him about it, MAME 0.84 would be good point however I'd be tempted to go even further to something like MAME version .106 (though it's a trade off as the executable starts getting monstrously huge due to the large number of game drivers compiled in! What we really need is a not multiple executables but some sort of dynamic loading like using shared objects for each driver).
Check out Aaron Giles comparison different versions of MAME and their relative speed running Pacman and you can see why 0.106 is a good version.

Franxis said:
Yes, Craig offered a Pandora prototype for free... But honestly i don't want to mess with prototypes... As i have said several times i will wait to see complete Pandora consoles in action. If i have to wait for the second batch there is no problem for me... Anyway it is nice to see the Zodttd fast MAME4ALL port :)
They have 200 spares in the first order batch, so i don't think it will be a problem for well known developers to gain one from the spares batch. Thats not counting possible order cancellations.

slaanesh: Ok I will give those games a run. I will grab the 1.06 MAME sources and read Giles comparison as well. Thanks for the heads up! I believe 1.06 supports save states as well, which would be great. :)
Using dynamic libraries for each driver would be fantastic, for the reasons you stated (saves on storage space). Seems like the changes involved in getting each driver into it's own module would be difficult though. It would also lock us into a particular version as updating such code would get difficult as well. I will speak to one of the MAME devs about this.

Back