Mame4All 2.4

Franxis

MAME 4 ALL
Website
franxis.zxq.net
New version of my MAME port for the WIZ:

- Added full image scaling (Rampage, Popeye, Super Sprint, etc). Horizontal scaling with linear filtering is still used internally when applicable.
- More Neo·Geo games are playable, e.g. Art of Fighting 3, Fatal Fury and Pulstar. Still some games run in the GP2X and not in the WIZ due to lack of memory (blazstar, kof96, mslug2, ninjamas, ragnagrd, rbff1 and shocktro).
- Upper memory is used as primary memory for all memory allocations. If the upper memory is full, the Linux memory is used instead. Strangely the emulator is faster using this approach and it avoids lock-ups.
- No more lock-ups when exiting from games to the frontend (e.g. Out Run, Shinobi, etc).

Download it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/

Great news!

No more lock-ups when exiting from games to the frontend (e.g. Out Run, Shinobi, etc).

So the nasty DrZ80 bug is gone? Excellent!

Another excellent update. :D
Is there any chance of just vertical scaling on the next release? (For Pacman/Pengo etc. without the bottom of the game screen missing, I can't get on with rotating the Wiz!)

eg:
----------------------------------------------
|...............XXXXXXXX...............|
|...............XXXXXXXX...............| < Wiz screen
----------------------------------------------
X's = Game image

Also is there a way of changing the default volume? (So I don't have to turn it down everytime I start a new ROM)

Some videos recorded by Anarchy of the previous version 2.3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk7TAOTh8-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Nkb8g2go70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBAkdM1ZZc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtX-qNUOcC4

Note that the new version 2.4 runs a LOT faster.
For example Out Run runs like a charm in the new version!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil L said:
Is there any chance of just vertical scaling on the next release? (For Pacman/Pengo etc. without the bottom of the game screen missing, I can't get on with rotating the Wiz!)

Yes, i'm pretty sure it will be available in the next version.

Another impressive release.
Will the GP2X version benefit from using upper memory first like the Wiz?
Also, I will upload the MAME4ALL Dingoo source code. I have some nice changes that may be applicable to the GP2X/Wiz versions including per-game volume control and some nice screen scalers.
Last thing Franxis, your PMs seem to be switched off. :)

Franxis said:
New version of my MAME port for the WIZ:

- Added full image scaling (Rampage, Popeye, Super Sprint, etc). Horizontal scaling with linear filtering is still used internally when applicable.
- More Neo·Geo games are playable, e.g. Art of Fighting 3, Fatal Fury and Pulstar. Still some games run in the GP2X and not in the WIZ due to lack of memory (blazstar, kof96, mslug2, ninjamas, ragnagrd, rbff1 and shocktro).
- Upper memory is used as primary memory for all memory allocations. If the upper memory is full, the Linux memory is used instead. Strangely the emulator is faster using this approach and it avoids lock-ups.
- No more lock-ups when exiting from games to the frontend (e.g. Out Run, Shinobi, etc).

Download it here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/
Thanks Franxis you ROCK the Wiz! A great timely release at a time when the Wiz updates are at a standstill, Thanks for breaking the drought!

As a feature request, is there a way you could add per game screen brightness control too? The *Dingoo* will have it says Slaanesh. We don't want to be left behind. I am not talking about a gamma control, but a control that actually sets the duty cycle of the OLED as is in the settings menu (now has the settings low, medium, high, etc). Exophase talked about it in the dev section.

BUG: Xenophobe just gives a red screen now with a popping sound every few seconds if ASM cores are used. If you disable cores then it goes to game start menu but then just resets after start.

Thanks for the great emu.

Neil L said:
Another excellent update. :D

Also is there a way of changing the default volume? (So I don't have to turn it down everytime I start a new ROM)

Is it really that bad rotating to play pacman now? You know it will look like shit scaling it down making the image much smaller and removing information.

+1 on the default volume being able to be configurable.

slaanesh said:
Another impressive release.
Will the GP2X version benefit from using upper memory first like the Wiz?
Also, I will upload the MAME4ALL Dingoo source code. I have some nice changes that may be applicable to the GP2X/Wiz versions including per-game volume control and some nice screen scalers.
Last thing Franxis, your PMs seem to be switched off. :)
Thanks!.
Yes, i will add it to the GP2X version (only for the main executable, not for neomame).
You can upload the Dingoo source code to the SVN...
Yes, it seems the PMs don't run now...

Thanks for the hard work
Any chance of having a scanlines options for the next release?

[edit] save states at some point would be fantastic. I might finally finish ghosts and goblins then :lol:

Sorry if it's bad form to ask for 2 feature requests at once...

Fantastic update Franxis!

Neogeo stuff is running really good on this now.

Thanks for all your hard work bro.
:D

AMADEUS said:
Any chance of having a scanlines options for the next release?
I think burn in emulation was added to a recent MAME release. It'd be funny to have that :D.

Franxis said:
Neil L said:

Yes, i'm pretty sure it will be available in the next version.

Thank you, looking forward to that. (along with the volume fix ;) )
I've noticed if you change one game to scale/rotate etc. it changes it for all games.
I thought on the last version it just saved it for single games (or am I wrong?)
Excellent update, I can play Spy Hunter again (the controls are a bit squiffy though!)

Thanks Franxis for this superb emulator.

I was wondering if there is any way of clearing the inputs for a button config? On the PC you would just press ESC but on the Wiz I just end up adding more inputs.

Example: I would want to move the gear change on Outrun to the R button.

Many thanks in advance

Great Release!
I am having one small problem. About two releases ago Astro Blaster stopped having sound. Is there any way I can get it to play with sound again?

Thank you Neil L, that worked like a charm. I always forget to put the samples back in the directory.

Download the 'MAME4ALL samples' and 'MAME4ALL artwork', the links are here: http://www.talfi.net/gp32_franxis/ and put them into your 'mame4all_2.4_wiz/samples' & 'mame4all_2.4_wiz/artwork' folders. (Perhaps these can be built into the next release)
You should now have sound again.

Hey Franxis!

So Pulstar is working: How much free RAM do you gain for MAME4all on the Wiz? AFAIK Pulstar is about 40 MB uncompressed...

Regards,
Stephan

Another question while I'm here, how do you change the start up splash screen?
I've managed to change the menu background (by moving/renaming the files in the 'skins' folder)
But I can't change the start up splash (it just goes back to the red one!), I've even deleted the GP2X and the Wiz one's.

Oh, and is there a way to change the Pause setting from the 'L & R' buttons? (As I sometimes hit them both by accident, SF2 etc.)

Any help would be great.

Edit: I just found out that the old black & white (& green) Space Invaders (and the B & W clones) run extremely slow on this version, but they ran fine on 2.3 (But the colour ones run fine!) & would the Space Invaders background artwork be available on the next release?

Could your artwork & samples be included in the relevant folders in the next Mame4all release? (Instead of having to download them seperately)

Back