Mame4All Freezing On Loading Screen

emulators4life

Still Fresh
Ok, I'm quite new to all this having just brought my Wiz very recently, I've downloaded a few emulators, pocketsnes, finalburn etc and managed to acquire some roms for them, these all work perfectly. However I cannot get mame4all to work, I've got version 2.2 as well as some roms for version 2.2. Once mame4all has loaded I can select the games but when I try to launch them I only get as far as the loading screen. It just freezes up and I need to turn the machine off and on again to get back to the Wiz's main menu.

I've also tried mame4all 2.4 but that doesn't even get to the loading screen, I just get a black screen.

What do I need to do to get this working?

First be sure you got the one for the Wiz and not for like the GP32. If so download MAME for your PC and run the same roms there. We still use the older MAME 0.37 Beta 14 for our PCs. I find that pretty much 99% of what runs under it will run under MAME4All Wiz. In this way you are checking your rom dowloads are known good/working. Hope this helps.

included in the mame4all zip for the wiz is a gamelist with all the working titles.

mystique, yeah I've definitely downloaded mame4all for the wiz, both the 2.2 version and the 2.4 version which I believe is the latest release. I then downloaded some roms which claims to be a fullset for mame4all ver 2.2. I tried these roms on mame4all 2.4 and could see and select the roms but when I launch them I get stuck on a black screen. I then downloaded mame4all 2.2 and tried the same roms, again I could see and select the roms but I only get as far as a loading screen when I try to launch them.

The only thing I can think of is that the roms I have downloaded are not compatible in some way despite the claims.

I think I've tried everything to get this working but I'm baffled why it doesn't load properly, does anyone know where I can get hold of one rom which definitely works so that I can test it on my machine?

Finally I've also tried to use clrmamepro which I've read is capable of converting roms to work on mame4all, unfortunately the program leaves me absolutely baffled.

From reading the forum etc I think we aren't allowed to post any rom links. My apologies about that. We have two different Wiz consoles with the latest and the second to latest firmware so it's not the device. One link/source I think I am allowed to post is this:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,73,22

Download the emulator from there and try it again. The only other advice I can possibly post is to use a search engine like google and try " 'game name' mame rom download" Good luck.

Also make sure you just put them in the rom sub directory as the zip file. Do not extract them. Also read my pm to you.

emulators4life said:
mystique, yeah I've definitely downloaded mame4all for the wiz, both the 2.2 version and the 2.4 version which I believe is the latest release. I then downloaded some roms which claims to be a fullset for mame4all ver 2.2. I tried these roms on mame4all 2.4 and could see and select the roms but when I launch them I get stuck on a black screen. I then downloaded mame4all 2.2 and tried the same roms, again I could see and select the roms but I only get as far as a loading screen when I try to launch them.

The only thing I can think of is that the roms I have downloaded are not compatible in some way despite the claims.

I think I've tried everything to get this working but I'm baffled why it doesn't load properly, does anyone know where I can get hold of one rom which definitely works so that I can test it on my machine?

Finally I've also tried to use clrmamepro which I've read is capable of converting roms to work on mame4all, unfortunately the program leaves me absolutely baffled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help but I have a feeling I'm just not going to get this to work on mame4all, do you know of any other mame emulators for the wiz?

for arcade games there are also fba2x and cps emulators.

but mame4all from the posted link is confirmed as working out of the box. all you need are roms (from the gamelist included) and eventually a neo geo bios. iy's even the most downloaded file from the site.

That's a real shame as it's one of the most used and easiest emulators to get working on the Wiz. I don't know why you are having problems.
The rom you mentioned (1941 - Counter Attack (World)) works just fine on both of ours. You are clicking on mame.gpe and NOT autorun.gpu right ?

emulators4life said:
Thanks for the help but I have a feeling I'm just not going to get this to work on mame4all, do you know of any other mame emulators for the wiz?

Yeah mystique I'm clicking on mame.gpe, I don't understand it myself, every other emulator I've tried seems to work(pocketsnes, picodrive, finalburn) but mame doesn't.

The only other thing I can think of is trying another sd card out to see if its a problem with that.

Same exact thing is happening to me.

* I have Mame4all 2.4 for Wiz
* I extracted the .7z folder using ZipGenius
* Copied folder to root level of SD card
* Copied MAME roms (both 0.36 and supposedly converted roms using clrmamepro) into roms folder
* I can start Mame4All on the wiz.
* I can select the rom file.
* It takes me to the next screen which is all the configurations.
* Hitting B at this point creates a blank screen. I have to hard reset to get the Wiz to come back.

Any help would be seriously appreciated!

(btw, C64, Atari2600 and GBA emulators all run fine and play roms just great)

OK, I got it working. Either the main folder on the SD card needs to be literally named "mame" or ZipGenius screwed up the extract somehow. I extracted the zip with WinRar this time and renamed it to "mame" and it's working! Yah-hoo!

boingo_buzzard, thanks to your post I've finally managed to get mame running on my wiz. I was nearly resigned to accepting that mame just wouldn't work on my wiz and thankfully you posted in this thread.

emulators4life said:

Awesome! Glad you got it running too! I was seriously bummed when I couldn't get mame running because that's primarily what I wanted the Wiz for to begin with. Seeing that rom load for the first time was a serious rush! :D

Congratulations both on getting it running. It's a must for the Wiz. We recently got all the ROM's and Sound sample files (40+ Gigabytes). Now the kids keep wanting something else on it as they all won't fit. We need a 64GB SDHC card :p

Back