Pocketsnes Wiz Not Working For Me. . Black Screen Or Garbled Screen

GaryMcT

Still Fresh
Just got a Wiz. Installed Pocketsnes 6.5. With pocketsnes_fast.gpe, I get the loading screen adn then rows of brightly colored lines. With pocketsnes.gpe, I get the loading screen and then a black screen that I have to reboot to get out of. Any ideas? Wrong firmware or otherwise? It came with version 1.1.0 firmware on it.

Thanks!
Gary

try redownloading pocketsnes - it might be that you have corrupted files

Mr.TwisT said:

No luck. I downloaded from two different places on two different machines (one a Mac, one running XP) and I get the same results. Any other ideas?

I unzipped the dist to a pocketsnes folder on my SD card and tried to run it from there using the file browser thingy on the wiz. I suppose I could get the dev kit running and try to debug this.

Last edited by a moderator:
GaryMcT said:
Mr.TwisT said:

No luck. I downloaded from two different places on two different machines (one a Mac, one running XP) and I get the same results. Any other ideas?

I unzipped the dist to a pocketsnes folder on my SD card and tried to run it from there using the file browser thingy on the wiz. I suppose I could get the dev kit running and try to debug this.

Perhaps the SD card is corrupted?

(I try to keep a copy of my SD card and the NAND on a PC so I can just reformat and drag everything across should the need arise).

You could try a different SD card, or reformat the current one (get everything off it first!) and try again.

GaryMcT said:
Just got a Wiz. Installed Pocketsnes 6.5. With pocketsnes_fast.gpe, I get the loading screen adn then rows of brightly colored lines. With pocketsnes.gpe, I get the loading screen and then a black screen that I have to reboot to get out of. Any ideas? Wrong firmware or otherwise? It came with version 1.1.0 firmware on it.

Most unfortunate! Here are the steps I would take, in order, to try resolving this:

0) Check your firmware revision - it should be 1.1.0 - if it's not, immediately proceed to step 3. (EDIT: just reread your orig post - you already checked this - however I saw another thread that mentioned a recently purchased WIZ have a different Rev of 1.1.0 (rev 255, I believe) on it. Check and post your FW revision here so we can corroborate this. Mine's Kernel Rev 222, and it runs SNES just fine.

1) Delete and reinstall PocketSnes. Make sure you have version 6.5.0. I personally recommend getting your files from OpenHandhelds.org - I've had 0 trouble with anything I've downloaded from there. While on the subject of reinstallation - it's possible (albeit slim) that your decompression program is doing something weird/stupid and not properly pathing files and/or creating the correct directory structure. I'd install PocketSnes in its own directory on the root of your SD card. Double check the file structure of the directory to ensure that all the files are where they need to be. If not, or if in doubt, try a different decompression program (I personally use WinRAR, though it once had trouble with 7z files - it wasn't creating empty directories that it needed to, hence why I bring this whole topic up in the first place)

2) Reformat your SD card and reinstall SNES. Format it for FAT32, default alloc size (if using the windows formatter).

2 and 1/2) Try the above steps with a different SD card or (to rule out the SD as a problem entirely): the Wiz's NAND instead of an SD card.

3) If all else fails, try reflashing your firmware, even if you have 1.1.0 already installed. Download a fresh copy (openhandhelds.org should have that too) and reflash with that, on the weird chance that some noncritical part of your FW is corrupt, but is preventing programs from running. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but it's worth trying.

4) Pray to whatever god(s) you believe in and try again?

5) Wiz is possibly hosed - RMA it if you can and don't want to dig further into this.

Optional extra paranoid version of the above steps - MD5 checksum every file you download before unzipping onto your SD card.

Exact same for my new WIZ (1.1.0 rev.255, shipped on 6 Jan 2010)- no POCKETSNES action when starting Roms.
Tried several SD cards (both SDHC and SD), re-formatting, re-installing Pocketsnes, various Pocketsnes folder locations etc.

Please confirm, if other users of rev.255 have same trouble.
Anybody tried to downgrade?
The only thing I am keeping off downgrading - last rev.255 can not be found actually for download..

Trotter said:
Exact same for my new WIZ (1.1.0 rev.255, shipped on 6 Jan 2010)- no POCKETSNES action when starting Roms.
Tried several SD cards (both SDHC and SD), re-formatting, re-installing Pocketsnes, various Pocketsnes folder locations etc.

Please confirm, if other users of rev.255 have same trouble.
Anybody tried to downgrade?
The only thing I am keeping off downgrading - last rev.255 can not be found actually for download..

I'm still having the problem with mine. I'm a game programmer for a living, so I can try to debug it when I ge a chance. I haven't set up the sdk yet.

Here's the info on mine:

version 1.1.0
Linux 2.6.24 revision 244
s/n 2009.06.29 - gp2xv001 - 00000197

Bad news.. I downgraded to 1.1.0 rev.222
Same problem:
pocketsnes_fast.gpe - random color lines on screen
pocketsnes.gpe - fps only counter in the screen corner (wiz is jammed - can not go out by [vol+vol] - reboot only can help)

Solved.

I am stupido.
When getting in troubles with any EMU - FIRST LOOK FOR GOOD and 100% clean ROMs.
Just downloaded same SNES roms from other sourse - anything is FINE and workin now.

Again... stupido lost his rev.255 (but nobody can say it is "better" or not to rev222.. So nevermind

Just for others FYI I have one Wiz with 244 and another with 255. The emulator works fine on both versions.

Back