Mame4All News?

tony11

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if there is any news on Mame4all?

I think a regular version of MAME has been ported to the Pandora. I mean that version should run everything that Mame4all runs and more so who cares?

TylerAW said:
I think a regular version of MAME has been ported to the Pandora. I mean that version should run everything that Mame4all runs and more so who cares?
People care because MAME4All is, as I understand it, more optimised and considerably faster (it's also based on an older version of MAME). Given this, I gather that it should be possible to set one's clock speed lower, and this equals more playtime.

Don't get me wrong, I like the port of MAME 0.106, because it's the same version I use on my main computer, but it does require overclocking for some things. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
TylerAW said:
People care because MAME4All is, as I understand it, more optimised and considerably faster (it's also based on an older version of MAME). Given this, I gather that it should be possible to set one's clock speed lower, and this equals more playtime.

Don't get me wrong, I like the port of MAME 0.106, because it's the same version I use on my main computer, but it does require overclocking for some things. :p
Maybe but as I understand a lot of things do on the Pandora due to immature software so either way we will all just have to wait and be patient starting to get used to it without a Pandora.

TylerAW said:
Two verisons of MAME have been ported to the Pandora. Neither are optimal. MAME4ALL would be a nice port in many respects.

For the record, I care quite a lot about MAME, its one of the reasons I wanted a Pandora. So far with the 2 versions of MAME, the game control is great in games that work so things can only get better with MAME4All and variants that may incorporate MAME106 with MAME4All into something like MAME4Pandora.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Mjlink said:
TylerAW said:
Two verisons of MAME have been ported to the Pandora. Neither are optimal. MAME4ALL would be a nice port in many respects.

For the record, I care quite a lot about MAME, its one of the reasons I wanted a Pandora. So far with the 2 versions of MAME, the game control is great in games that work so things can only get better with MAME4All and variants that may incorporate MAME106 with MAME4All into something like MAME4Pandora.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

+1

You know, Craig once suggested the best setup: a frontend which would run whichever game you select in the oldest version of MAME that supports the game. Maximum speed, maximum compatibility. And why not? The Pandora doesn't have the issue of space limitations.

fearofshorts said:
a frontend which would run whichever game you select in the oldest version of MAME that supports the game. Maximum speed, maximum compatibility.
This'd work great for almost any other emulator. The same ROM can usually not only be used across different versions of a given emulator, but across different emulators as well.
MAME decided to do something that I will never understand with their "romsets" setup that makes interversion compatibility a little less than easy.

fearofshorts said:
Oh right... Crap.

Well, you could still have each rom come from the earliest supported romset...
A special "Pandora" romset which is an amalgam of various other romsets? I like it! :D

Back