Mame4All Not Supporting Most Of The Roms I Tried

doragasu

I have tested Mame4All and I'm impressed with the speed, but most of the games I throw to it aren't supported. AFAIK it's supposed to use MAME 0.37.12 romset, but some of the supported games (i.e. Robocop 2 and Guwange) doesn't appear in the game list, and most of the titles that appear don't load (I only get a black screen without error message, and when I hit a button, the emulator returns to the game selection screen). Games I cannot get to load include Dodonpachi, ESP Ra.De., Robocop (World revision 3), Shadow Dancer, Snow Bros... Is this normal, or is it maybe an issue with the roms? Does this emulator have a log, or is there a way to see any error messages?

These games load OK with MAME 0.106, but they aren't fullspeed with this emulator :(.

When mame4all says it uses the .37 rom set, that doesn't just mean the game list for that version. Many of the innards of the rom zips are actually different for different versions of mame. If these games run under MAME 106, chances are your mame romset is built for a newer version of mame.

You need to find a romset specifically compiled for old versions of mame (or even for mame4all). That, or you can rebuild your current set with a tool like clrmame or romcenter (in which case you'll probably need to combine your current set with the mame "rollback" set to successfully build every rom).

Clrmame is a little confusing to use, and I can't give a step by step now, though you could search or it google it.

I just looked this up, and MAME4All apparently uses the 0.37b5 set. That may be your problem.

Back