Man Page Usage Debate

How much do you use the terminal?

• Total voters

mitosis said:
and by "you" I mean everyone who keeps suggesting alternate VIEWERS for the man pages... the question was "man pages or no man pages?" not "how do you prefer to read your man pages?" so I'm gonna interpret your desire for an alternate way to read your man pages as a "yes I do use and want man pages but I won't be using the man command from the terminal to do my reading" ...and that's just fine.
My bad (craigx, don't jump :D), I was the first to suggest using gman, starting this.
But my reasoning was simple, if it's a pnd, then there need to be an easy way to open (mount as you please to name this) the pnd to acces the man page. So i though the easier way was to bundle gman. Clicking the link would open the pnd, but you would be able to access his content in command-line too.
It could even containt the man command-line.

Both of you take thing way too personal....

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I bring around my pandora instead of a laptop and occasionally with one of those "rolley" silicone keyboards. It's fantastic and sometimes I do wish I had the man pages but it's not bad going to chromium or ff or whatever and doing a quick "man <command>" into google. I can see a benefit to it. But only if it's a reasonable size in MB to do so (maybe like 25 or 30mb?) other wise googling for the man page is easy enough.

lulzfish said:
Hey, it's something I have an opinion on!

I use the terminal all the time*, but reading documentation in white-on-black 24 lines at a time is a bitch, so I always end up using online documentation.
Man pages suck. They need to be in HTML or something, then you could use a GUI browser as a luxury and fall back on Lynx.

Someone should do that. I bet they have. It should be easy to automate.

* Sometimes. I don't know much bash, like I had to look up for-loops, but I use it for SSH and compiling and everything on my server, since remote X11 is painfully slow.
Code:
$ stty -a | head -n1
speed 38400 baud; rows 53; columns 167; line = 0;
8 dot monospace fonts are pure win. This is a 1024x768 display, so in Pandora it will be a bit reduced, but probably still workable.

JayFoxRox said:
SomeGuy99 said:
My terminal is mapped as followed:

Ah true, didn't even think about tabs in the terminal itself. However, I actually meant non-X terminals.
GNU Screen

If anybody is feeling the lack of man pages - install Stuckie's Debian extension. They are all there.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/

SomeGuy99 said:
If anybody is feeling the lack of man pages - install Stuckie's Debian extension. They are all there.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54651-debian-in-an-extend/
I'm not on the forums as much as I'd like. I totally missed this one. Thanks for the link. It look like it does everything and more than I was looking for.

I agree that a PND with all the MAN pages is the best solution.

This is completely OT, but why do I read "Mega Man" somewhere in the topic title every single time I see this thread? It has been at least 20 times now. I'm starting to get worried :unsure:

That or I'm causing people to see Mega Man where there is not Mega Man. :p

Getting back on-topic, I voted for "Every so often" for part one of the poll, and "Rarely" for part two, myself. It would be nice to have them in some form - PND sounds good to me. :p

Back