Manging Spare Pandora Battery

centrlink

Website
Visit site
OK - I've ordered a spare battery, and I'd reckon with long work trips, I may only need to use it once a month or maybe even 2.

I've been reading a bit about batteries - I've formed a preliminary view that I should leave the spare about 60% charged while it lays dormant. Am I way off here?

I suppose I could, depending on how much hassle there is in switching batteries, swap them around a lot, but then which ever battery was "spare" would be run down and may not be required for a couple of weeks if I don't get much Pandora time.

Cheers

parttwo-34.gif

" Simple Guidelines

* Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

* Batteries with fuel gauge (laptops) should be calibrated by applying a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges. Running the pack down in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and in some cases cut off the device prematurely.

* Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

* Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

* Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing dates. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.

* If you have a spare lithium-ion battery, use one to the fullest and keep the other cool by placing it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze the battery. For best results, store the battery at 40% state-of-charge. "

I have an OQO with two batteries.
I use one for two weeks or so, and then the other.
Yes, keep the unused battery at mid-charge state.
Too charged, not good, discharged, very bad.
After I get the Pandora, I won't be using the OQO any more.
Wonder what I'll do with the OQO batteries then?

Put it at 100% charge and leave it in the fridge. It will maintain it's charge for years. Seal it in an airtight container first, and let it warm up before using,

WizardStan said:
Put it at 100% charge and leave it in the fridge. It will maintain it's charge for years. Seal it in an airtight container first, and let it warm up before using,
SURVEY SAYS:
ERRRNNNNNNT

40 percent charge

Last edited by a moderator:
If you store it 100% charged, even in cold conditions, there will still be be significant decay. Someone posted a graphic above, but it doesn't include 15deg celsius or any other temperature close to a refrigerator.

Looking at the figures for storage at 0deg, I was going to say that the difference between 94% and 98% is hardly worth worrying about. But if the estimations in the table hold true over a number of years storage, that difference becomes quite significant.

Charged at 40%, stored in freezer for four years: 92%
Charged at 100%, stored in freezer for four years: 78%

But is that figure the remaining charge when you take it out of the freezer, or the remaining capacity? I'm sure there are plenty of other variables too. Interesting anyway.

Gruso said:
Looking at the figures for storage at 0deg, I was going to say that the difference between 94% and 98% is hardly worth worrying about. But if the estimations in the table hold true over a number of years storage, that difference becomes quite significant.

But is that figure the remaining charge when you take it out of the freezer, or the remaining capacity? I'm sure there are plenty of other variables too. Interesting anyway.
Surely they must mean the capacity? If they were talking about remaining charge, 92% of 40% is still a lot less than 78% of 100%, which makes the whole thing kind of pointless. Unless they're talking total charge, in which case I'd say those number are quite spectacular. :)

Etinin said:
Someone posted a graphic above, but it doesn't include 15deg celsius or any other temperature close to a refrigerator.
If your fridge is running at 15deg Celsius then it's a serious health hazzard! Most fridges operate at around 5-6, which is fairly close to the 0 shown on the graphic.

Even if you were storing at 15 degrees, it's safe to assume that the result will be somewhere between the values for 0 and 25 degrees.

Etinin said:
If you store it 100% charged, even in cold conditions, there will still be be significant decay. Someone posted a graphic above, but it doesn't include 15deg celsius or any other temperature close to a refrigerator.

15deg celsius. is very warm for a fridge.
In England when the temp hits 15deg people sunbathe and have picnics.
in shops if the dairy fridges go above 6deg they have to chuck all the milk and eggs.

Erm, what I meant is that neither 0 or 25 are the normal temperatures of fridges.
And that site says it's bad to put batteries in a freezer.

Username said:
Not completely relevant, but taking the battery out of the :pandora1: would reset the real-time clock right?
I would have thought so, unless there's either a backup battery for that, or some other kind of storage capable of keeping it going for a few minutes (giving you time to swap batteries on long trips).

Gruso said:

Dude, if you've left the battery in the freezer for 4 years, it has not served it's purpose at all. Even if you do store it in the freezer for that long, 78% is still a massive charge.
Personally I don't consider a 6% drop per year to be significant in anyway, but that also assumes it's kept at full charge. I'm going to go ahead with the belief that the battery will get occasional use. My opinion stands: if it's an emergency battery, keep it at 100% in an airtight container in the coldest part of your fridge, and it'll keep well enough for years, for the times you actually need it. That way it's ready to go, just got to pull it out and warm it for a for a few minutes.

WizardStan said:
Dude, if you've left the battery in the freezer for 4 years, it has not served it's purpose at all.
That would depend on what you deem its purpose to be. Some people have talked about buying a second battery, and not using it until the first one reaches the end of its life.

Back