Manic Digger (Minecraft clone)

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it IS open source.
It is unfortunately also Windows-only. Porting this will likely be a lot of work.

Someone is working on a port of Minecraft to Sauerbraten which is looking pretty awesome. Although Sauerbraten runs on Linux, I'm not sure the Pandora is powerful enough.

untitleddddd2.jpg

http://manicdigger.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Frequently_asked_questions

System requirements

Game is tested to give 75 FPS (vsync) on high visibility setting on NVidia GeForce 7600 GT, Core2Duo 1.86Ghz. Turning off web browsers and other programs greatly speeds up game - works much smoother freshly after system restart.

Linux and Mac is not yet supported - need a few small fixes: mouse cursor, server selection - see todo.
Don't hold your breath

[edit] :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah. I say we make our own minecraft for the pandora. Cuz we're special like that.

From what I've read on the forum, Minecraft to Sauerbraten is an editor that was done in Objective-C and Cocoa, so for Mac.

But thanks, I'll try it, it looks great
laugh.gif

Making our own minecraft on Pandora using GLES and native language (without virtual machine) is probably the best solution.

PandCraft... might be an idea... would probably require some collab, especially if you want it to connect to MineCraft servers too.

Also careful planning to keep it up to speed.

MineCraft has simple craphics but lots of cubes are rendered at the same time...

From what I've read on the forum, Minecraft to Sauerbraten is an editor that was done in Objective-C and Cocoa, so for Mac.

But thanks, I'll try it, it looks great
laugh.gif

Making our own minecraft on Pandora using GLES and native language (without virtual machine) is probably the best solution.
Seems right indeed. Well, that's definitely the most piss-poor job I ever did at reading a thread :D

There are a few other posts of people who did some partial work or are experimenting with building a game somewhat inspired by minecraft. I somehow combined them into a single thing in my mind. So yes, that's a visualizer tool, not a game.

I stand corrected.

Yeah... It'd probably have to be toned down quite a bit. I'm not an expert on memory management, but I think pandora optimized GLES code would run properly. Joining Minecraft servers would be a plus too, but we'd probably need to work with Notch.

Seriously, if you read this board Notch, we'd all like to see this become a reality. As we've found, you do own a pandora. Many of us have payed for your alpha (now beta). I understand server costs but you're looking at millions. I understand not wanting to open source it,.. Iunderstand why its currently written in java, but please port it to something the pandora can play.

I was surprised and happy to know he has a Pandora and that he reads the forums.

Now to just convince him to invest his millions in the Pandora.... erm... I mean port minecraft.

Manic Digger looks awesome, i play minecraft for a while, and its a perfekt game to play until the new day arives, but my PC is very loud somethimes (it isnt new) and an minecraft like game on the silent pandora, so i can play in bed would be great.. or somewhere near an wlan ap..

I would like to have a port of the original Minecraft, but manic digger looks interessting too.. :rolleyes:

But first i need a Pandora (maybe one of the next 500?)

The Java is slow myth is just that a myth - the real stumbling block is no lwjgl GLES binding - I've been messing with java a jbullet for a while on the desktop as it really isn't that much slower and somtimes faster, java's garbage collection is awesome one area where c++ has always been poor is memory allocation... something you need to do frequently if you have a lot of objects / contacts etc being created and destroyed.

roll on the day there is a GLES binding for lwjgl!

Last edited:
Minecraft is on my PC (2Gigaherz Single Core, 1Gig ram, 256mb graphic Cart 1000mbit DSL,Ubuntu 10.08 Sun Java runtime) slow too, so this means whe need an minecraft Client from notsch spezialy for the pandora.., or a own minecraft like game too..

"pandacraft"

Notch plans on open-sourcing the game someday after it stops selling like hotcakes.

Seriously, if you read this board Notch, we'd all* like to see this become a reality.
*All the people in this thread who were interested.

I'm actually not, so don't think "Every last person who's ordering a Pandora needs Minecraft on it badly"

I just want to make sure you have the numbers right. This is the 18th post, so you subtract users who already posted twice, there's probably a dozen people interested. Some of them might also have Pandoras.

Back