Minecraft becomeing open source ?

Lord Moonscar

Still Fresh
This message from Notch says the source code will eventually be released to developers. Will that mean we *could* eventually see Minecraft on the Pandora if someone is able to port it ?

http://notch.tumblr....e-plan-for-mods

Please don't get mad and grouch. I know this has been stated before but i have not seen a reference to the future source code release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent Notch an email about it a month ago, still awaiting a reply. It is possible that he plans on porting it himself.

Would you rather him port it or (YOU :D ) one of our Devs ?

(I would rather one of us port it :D )

Multiplayer would be a awesome on the go :D

I think a port of the Android (or the upcoming Xbox 360) version would be more likely, the PC version is simply too slow.

I think a port of the Android (or the upcoming Xbox 360) version would be more likely, the PC version is simply too slow.

I know nothing about Minecraft, but due to all the talk about it - and because I have a new Android phone... I did a search on the Android market last night. All I found were some manuals for it. Is it out yet?

Didn't someone say they had it running, but terribly slowly? The regular .jar?

If we can run it well, it will be pretty cool. Optimization (and ground unicorn horn dust) is/are key. Maybe it will attract people to Pandora :p .

Minecraft 'Pocket Edition' looks boring tbh...:<

There is nothing in Minecraft that needs to be ported, as far as I can tell. It'll start and run just fine provided we have all the libraries.

What is missing is lwjgl, the Java OpenGL implementation. They've been saying they're going to add OpenGLES support for a long time, but I've seen no progress on it, even after they posted about getting a device with ES support :(

Are they a bunch of hobbyists?

And remember, it has to "just work" well. Anybody who's played Minecraft knows just how CPU-hungry it is (when apparently it doesn't have to be so).

They've been saying they're going to add OpenGLES support for a long time, but I've seen no progress on it, even after they posted about getting a device with ES support :(
This post claims that Opengl ES 2.0 code has been committed to their repository. Apparently it resides in a separate branch until more testing has been done. Find the opengl es branch here.

There is nothing in Minecraft that needs to be ported, as far as I can tell. It'll start and run just fine provided we have all the libraries.

What is missing is lwjgl, the Java OpenGL implementation. They've been saying they're going to add OpenGLES support for a long time, but I've seen no progress on it, even after they posted about getting a device with ES support :(

I got a cube world engine running on OpenGL ES already (fast FBO implementation), native code, not Java, runs on my beagle and panda board.

http://www.rv6502.com/rv6502/img/gen3d_cubeworld_13.png

the system's designed for small memory footprint, map is held compressed in memory and decompressed on the fly.

that whole section of 3D map data you see in the screen shot is 17KB (procedural generation + compressed delta modifications)

the geometry footprint depend on the view distance and the engine uses compressed vertex formats in the VBO so that is also quite small.

but I'm still waiting on my Pandora, shouldn't be long (... right? ... :p ), I'm somewhere at the end of batch 1.

If you get fed up and decide to leave, can you at least publish the source to that? Firefox of GP32X not doing that with Tempest is exactly why we don't have a Jaguar emulator.

Back