Massive Gp2x Feature In Gamestm Magazine (issue 71)

Mr Loon said:
Excellent article, certainly the best piece I've seen about the GP2X in the 'mainstream' media.

Reckon it should generate a few orders for Craig, as well as a bit of extra interest in the Pandora.
Glad you liked it. Thanks for the positive comments! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read it, bought it from your home city of Leicester!

Excellent article! Well written and informative. Good mag too, the best multi format one there is.

lubidog said:

Excellent article! Well written and informative. Good mag too, the best multi format one there is.
Ha! I hope for your sake you were only passing through...it's a right dump at the moment! :D

Can someone scan the article and post a link?

As for the GameDev.Net comments about the controls, they totally missed the point. It's a little silly to suggest that the Pandora is designed to be "all things to all people", since it targets *this community* specifically. Rather, it's intended to be all things to all *emulators*:

- GPSP & PSX4GP2X too slow? Pandora has a faster CPU, more memory, and dedicated video hardware.
- Love Vice2x and 2xMess but the virtual keyboards are too cumbersome? Here's a real keyboard.
- You like ScummVM but don't like using a thumb control to move the mouse? Touchscreen!
- Enjoying GPFCE but would prefer more NES-like controls? D-Pad!

Of course, every feature in support of smoother emulation also empowers our homebrew devs. Imagine all the open source games that ParkyDr can port now, e.g. Armagetron Advanced!

So, the Pandora dev team wisely should disregard general complaints about the controls.

vaustein said:
Wouldn't that be copyright infringement?

Of course, every feature in support of smoother emulation also empowers our homebrew devs. Imagine all the open source games that ParkyDr can port now, e.g. Armagetron Advanced!

Can't really justify the cost - offering to buy me one then? :)

I would certenately donate towards a dev so they could get one. There was talk of some kind of pandora donation system, too. :)

Parkydr said:
vaustein said:
Wouldn't that be copyright infringement?

Someones gonna do it a month after - slightly lessens the legal doubt then :ph34r: B)

Duddyroar said:
lubidog said:

Ha! I hope for your sake you were only passing through...it's a right dump at the moment! :D

Nope, almost born and then bred in Leicestershire, been living abroad but coming back again to live here!

Yes, it is such a dump!!!!!

craigix said:
I liked the article but how come no mention of Payback in the commercial games? Apart from that it was great.
Payback has been covered several times in the magazine already. I believe I did mention it in the body text? Can't recall exactly as I don't have the issue in front of me, and I write so much stuff it's hard to recall what I've said!

Cheers for taking part Craig, and glad you liked the feature. Hopefully it will generate some more sales for you, and some interest in Pandora.

As for scanning, like I said I will be scanning it to add to my portfolio when the next issue comes out. I think it's bad form to scan issues that are currently on sale. Why not pick up a copy if you're interested? It's one of the best mags out there.

Duddyroar said:
As for scanning, like I said I will be scanning it to add to my portfolio when the next issue comes out. I think it's bad form to scan issues that are currently on sale. Why not pick up a copy if you're interested? It's one of the best mags out there.

I'd pick one up if I could. If anyone wants to ship me one I'll PayPal them the cost :B

Duddyroar said:

The main Problem is, not everyone here lives in the UK! ;) Or can I buy this magazine in Germany? ^_^ So I would prefer a scan or at least the Text of the Article. :)

Parkydr said:

Can't really justify the cost - offering to buy me one then? :)

You won't dev for the Pandora, otherwise? Maybe I should buy you one, then. I wonder how dev board recipients are selected...?

:eek: I wasn't seriously expecting anyone to buy me one, but it is true, I won't be buying one myself until I'm in the market for a replacement for my GP2X.

I much as I'd like one, I think you should wait and see what happens when the Pandora's released. I think there will be a lot of stuff that just works (with a recompilation or even ready built packages) with the screen size, keyboard and faster processor so you might find there's a lot of releases anyway.

Parkydr said:
:eek: I wasn't seriously expecting anyone to buy me one, but it is true, I won't be buying one myself until I'm in the market for a replacement for my GP2X.

I much as I'd like one, I think you should wait and see what happens when the Pandora's released. I think there will be a lot of stuff that just works (with a recompilation or even ready built packages) with the screen size, keyboard and faster processor so you might find there's a lot of releases anyway.

Well I think it'll be worth getting allegro going on it anyway... :D

Well I think it'll be worth getting allegro going on it anyway... :D

Yes - surely BunkerMaster at will run at full speed on the Pandora :)

great article, on several pages, i'm sure this will ignite some interest from folks who haven't heared of the gp2x before.

Back