Mathematica

labyrinth9

Still Fresh
I was curious if it were possible to run Mathematica and or other Math programs (Maple, Matlab, Lindo) on Pandora?

- Jason

Hi,

Not my area of expertise but I'll try to provide a useful answer. All those programs appear to be commercial and closed source (correct me if I'm wrong) so they would not be likely appearances on the Pandora. Links for anyone else interested:

http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/

http://www.lindo.com...&id=28&Itemid=4

http://www.mathworks...tlab/index.html

http://www.maplesoft.com/

There is one called Maxima on our port requests page. I've seen talks on this topic several times before, so maybe some others will chime in with some open source alternatives.

I've long used Python for my mathematical needs. The NumPy, SciPy, matplotlib, and SymPy libraries should all run on a Pandora (though I don't have one to test). I find this setup much nicer to use than Matlab. But I've never used the other programs you mention, so I can't compare to them.

There is one called Maxima on our port requests page. I've seen talks on this topic several times before, so maybe some others will chime in with some open source alternatives.
We have a working port (well not exactly a port) of Maxima (including the Gui wxMaxima), it just needs some polish - unfortunatly the original author of the port seems to have lost intrest. See the first post here.

As I found out right now, there now seems to be a permission problem when quitting wxMaxima, which seems to be introduced with the latest hotfix - but it still works

Mathematica is in CLI Love package from long time.. and ready to play with

What about octave? it's open source and has a nice gui. I used quite a lot and if you know matlab octave will be easy to use.

Sounds great. This may be a stupid question but why can't we install a "closed-source" program on OpenPandora. I'm not even sure what that really means... I know when I installed it on Ubuntu, I needed to add several requirements via the command prompt and then compile the install file; what is so different about OpenPandora?

Sounds great. This may be a stupid question but why can't we install a "closed-source" program on OpenPandora. I'm not even sure what that really means... I know when I installed it on Ubuntu, I needed to add several requirements via the command prompt and then compile the install file; what is so different about OpenPandora?

Source code is like the blueprint of a program. Open source means that this blueprint is publicly available, closed source means that it's not. GIMP, for instance, is open source, while Photoshop is not. We can't install closed-source programs on the Pandora unless we have the original developer's permission (not usually likely with paid software) and/or support because only they hold the source code. And that's without technical limitations, like how we can't have DirectX because that's closed source, or when a program simply needs more beef than the Pandora can offer.

There is Geogebra in the repo if you want to give it a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beside the problem "blue Protoman" mentioned there is also the problem, that there is not necessarily a binary for the pandora that could be installed. The "closed-source" binary that you succesfully installed on your PC running Ubuntu was installable because both the binary of the installed program and your computer running it share the same processor architecture - "x86". The pandoras processor however has a very different architecture ("arm") - this gets more complicated if "graphical" output comes into play, because not all libraries that are used to output graphics are ported (or are not portable) to the pandora

Back