Md Info For Ryleh

fdave

Final Dave
Website
www.finalburn.com
Just found a few more games (more than I expected!) which do not need the Z80 in order to spit out some sound commands (though that's typically because they use it for sampled sound).

Here's a list:

Afterburner II
Gunstar Heroes
Moonwalker
Phantasy Star 4
Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic 1
Street Fighter 2 Plus Champion Edition
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2

Hey here's some more games that have sound or bleeps hope it helps. Really glad your working on sound :)

Fire Shark some small back ground melodies
Mega Bomberman back ground melodies
Gynoug back ground melodies
Test Drive 2 sound effects and crashes too quickly in fgen to know more
Streets of rage 1 (full sound low quality) 2 (music) 3 some bleeps
Sparkster and ROcket knight adventures, some bleeps in background melody
Shinobi 3 Return of the Ninja master (full sound)
Revenge of Shinobi (Full sound)
Sega Soccers (full sound I think :) )

That's cool to hear, are you working on getting sound implemented in gigadrive, as it's a great piece of software or is this for Rlyeh only... if so oops :unsure:

The moment sound is working at a good speed i dont think i'll ever use pc engine or ljgp again i just love the genesis but i'm terrible for gaming without sound

Yep. I'm a "sound whore" myself :p

I don't care if its low quality - I was quite happy with the lowest quality sound in opensnes, just as long as there's something reasonably close, I don't care if its a bit scratchy. Perhaps fgen and gigadrive will have low quality sound options, although come to think of it, "low quality sound" pretty much sums up the megadrive :p

centrlink posted on May 21 2004 at 09:48 PM said:
Perhaps fgen and gigadrive will have low quality sound options, although come to think of it, "low quality sound" pretty much sums up the megadrive :p
I wouldnt say its low quality but few games capaitalized on their soundtrack. Phantasy Star 4 had great music and I've always been a fan of the music in Shadowrun even though its a bit basic I think it fits the game well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sound was low quality when developers were lazy and did straight ports. The music in the Streets of rage games is awesome as well as other Sega games.

fdave posted on May 21 2004 at 08:53 PM said:
Just found a few more games (more than I expected!) which do not need the Z80 in order to spit out some sound commands (though that's typically because they use it for sampled sound).

Here's a list:

Afterburner II
Gunstar Heroes
Moonwalker
Phantasy Star 4
Revenge of Shinobi
Sonic 1
Street Fighter 2 Plus Champion Edition
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2

Two more:

Toe Jam and Earl
Sword of Vermillion

Currently I'm doing a bit of sound investigation in GenaDrive - basically it just plays a little 'tsssssshhhh' noise when a note should be played

kotd posted on May 23 2004 at 11:11 PM said:
Also Dynamite Heady and Golden axe 2/3

Cheers kotd, will have a play with these as well.

Current small sound progress, because I know you guys are very interested in this stuff... I have Genadrive playing a beep everytime a note is played, in the correct pitch (makes it sound like the Sega Master System version of Sonic or something!).

Next step would be envelopes for the 4 operators, and applying the FM modulation. This basically makes the 'instrument' for each note, giving say a bass note or piano note it's distinctive sound.

fdave posted on May 24 2004 at 10:30 AM said:
kotd posted on May 23 2004 at 11:11 PM said:
Also Dynamite Heady and Golden axe 2/3

Cheers kotd, will have a play with these as well.

Current small sound progress, because I know you guys are very interested in this stuff... I have Genadrive playing a beep everytime a note is played, in the correct pitch (makes it sound like the Sega Master System version of Sonic or something!).

Next step would be envelopes for the 4 operators, and applying the FM modulation. This basically makes the 'instrument' for each note, giving say a bass note or piano note it's distinctive sound.
No problem Dave anything else you want me to help with, feel free to email me :) I'll try another 30 or so games and see if they have sound. A few like streets of rage 3 just seem to make noise on fgen.

c0ncept posted on May 25 2004 at 10:02 AM said:
wow, I can almost feel the gravity of the new gigadrive release, its gonna be THAT huge!!!

not really i'm afraid - it's just a few beeps in few games

fdave posted on May 25 2004 at 11:50 AM said:
wow, I can almost feel the gravity of the new gigadrive release, its gonna be THAT huge!!!

A few beeps is still nicer than silence :)

Tobriand posted on May 25 2004 at 04:42 PM said:
fdave posted on May 25 2004 at 11:50 AM said:

A few beeps is still nicer than silence :)

Depends on the game :)

Sonic sounds nice, Street of Rage sounds bloody awful!

Seriously though, this is just step one on an interesting little project. One thing I might do is work on my little YM2612 core pet project as a GYM (Megadrive music format) player, and try and get it spot on + fast in that, at the same time. While trying some funky Paul Jensen-style, GYM to MIDI conversion stuff at the same time!

Have you heard Steve Snake's YM2612 core in Kega? In Hi quality mode it's flipping amazing, better even than the brilliant MAME core...

By the way, I thought of another option for ryleh - maybe try using the MAME Fm core but at a low sample rate like 11025... this could make it 4 times faster than 44100hz! Won't sound as good but it's all a speed/sound tradeoff isn't it?

fdave posted on May 26 2004 at 07:14 AM said:
By the way, I thought of another option for ryleh - maybe try using the MAME Fm core but at a low sample rate like 11025... this could make it 4 times faster than 44100hz! Won't sound as good but it's all a speed/sound tradeoff isn't it?
Damn straight! Btw, I know your a busy man and sound is gonna be a bitch, but have you given any thought about savestates? The reason I ask is because you have created such a wonderful monster in gigadrive- so many games play damn near perfect and many people dont play with sound (subway for me, and class :p). Savestates would be amazing... Just a thought. Good luck and I hope your work progresses :)

With sound, any sound, this will go from one of the least used emus to one of the most used ones. This will be awesome!

centrlink posted on May 21 2004 at 09:48 PM said:
Yep. I'm a "sound whore" myself :p

I don't care if its low quality - I was quite happy with the lowest quality sound in opensnes, just as long as there's something reasonably close, I don't care if its a bit scratchy. Perhaps fgen and gigadrive will have low quality sound options, although come to think of it, "low quality sound" pretty much sums up the megadrive :p

Heh, you can't have low quality sound on the SNES, trust me - it's either 99% perfect or silent :)

Back