Mems joystick

Reading the article, I thought it was more of a proof of concept, some technology for companies to license from the creators rather than a finished commercial product.

Of course I could be wrong, and to me l don't really see the competition with the iControl pad, although I do wonder how the sticks would feel used in a form factor like the iCp.

Pretty sure this is just a prototype.

The bit that interested me was when the controller was somehow used with a 3ds instead of the built in circle pad :

The 3DS joystick functioned similarly to the native controller included with that device, though Knowles reps noted that it's significantly smaller, and uses less power

Seems like it might be worth exploring if these controllers could be used instead of the nubs for a future version of the Pandora / ICP. From a personal viewpoint the Pandora / ICP nubs are good but the 3DS circle pad is, understandably given Nintendos R&D budget, in another league.

This joystick is digital. I hope no one entertains replacing analog nubs with them.

We're not talking either "end product" or "licensable" here, it'll probably just be sold as a component for companies to integrate into something bigger, like most of the other stuff that goes into electronics. Like other existing small form factor input devices, including some joysticks.

Back