Micro Pyra news from the.. dragons mouth

Wally

I am a banana!
Hello,

Just thought i'd share some news just to keep our brains from exploding due to not having any fun news:

1. Next batch of Emails for preorderers will be sent this week, rest of orders have been finished (Bar 1 or 2)

2. Samples were finished last week for the new copper coloured case but havae not been collected yet.

3. Nikolaus is testing the RK3568 CPU on an Odroid Board and appears to be 20% faster than the OMAP5432 but that's only testing the CPU), This CPU is cooler than our existing CPU yet with performance gains and producing much less heat. This is basically the beginning of the new CPU board but there's still a long way to go.

Hopefully that keeps you all from exploding

hns

3. Nikolaus is testing the RK3568 CPU on an Odroid Board and appears to be 20% faster than the OMAP5432 but that's only testing the CPU), This CPU is cooler than our existing CPU yet with performance gains and producing much less heat. This is basically the beginning of the new CPU board but there's still a long way to go.
Well, it is only clear from a 20 minutes test that it runs 20% faster for some multi-threaded prime number calculations (well, on 4 cores at 2 GHz instead of 2 cores at 1.5GHz so in fact each single core is much slower).
From the data collected so far I would not yet draw any conlusion which one is cooler in a handheld device.
The Odroid M1 (with big heat sink removed but at open air where the above test was made) goes up to 78°C inside the chip as reported by the Linux temperature monitors and >50°C outside (measured with a thermal camera) within 10 minutes.
For the OMAP5 a comparable experiment has still to be done (the Pyra itself is not a valid comparison as it runs in a closed case and the OMAP5 stacked inside the sandwich of printed circuit boards etc.).
It is said that the RG503 stays much cooler than the Pyra, but I don't know what they are doing in software (e.g. downclocking or better power management or just run one core) or other tricks. And it has only 1GB memory and memory chips also produce heat.
So drawing a conclusion that it is cooler at the same performance level is far too early in my view.
And yes it is a long way to go.

fantomid

Very Active Member
Well, it is only clear from a 20 minutes test that it runs 20% faster for some multi-threaded prime number calculations (well, on 4 cores at 2 GHz instead of 2 cores at 1.5GHz so in fact each single core is much slower).
From the data collected so far I would not yet draw any conlusion which one is cooler in a handheld device.
The Odroid M1 (with big heat sink removed but at open air where the above test was made) goes up to 78°C inside the chip as reported by the Linux temperature monitors and >50°C outside (measured with a thermal camera) within 10 minutes.
For the OMAP5 a comparable experiment has still to be done (the Pyra itself is not a valid comparison as it runs in a closed case and the OMAP5 stacked inside the sandwich of printed circuit boards etc.).
It is said that the RG503 stays much cooler than the Pyra, but I don't know what they are doing in software (e.g. downclocking or better power management or just run one core) or other tricks. And it has only 1GB memory and memory chips also produce heat.
So drawing a conclusion that it is cooler at the same performance level is far too early in my view.
And yes it is a long way to go.
Thanks for details.

Could we consider that the RK3568 will be the successor of the OMAP5 ?

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Thanks a lot for bringing the updates over from Discord to the Boards, (and for your Porting work at the start of the Pyra deliefery)
Even if its on the actuall Pyra Mainboard gets a bit hotter than on the Developer Board and its not that many times faster, its still lot better than the Omap5, allthough i found the Omap5 allready quite usefull as a beginners CPU..

comradekingu

Glowing ember
Website
portfolio.anotheragency.no
Ultimate CPU-speed isn't holding back anything sensible at this resolution (even if it is lower res and CPU matters more)?
Better GPU is needed to make it a better portable plug-in console? Memory and storage are the never enough things to have.
Synthetic benchmarks with full core-utilization seems only indicative of not overshooting what amount of heat can be dissipated.

Longevity (not the new-and-shiny business it isn't really in) is usually achieved by having something that is easy to maintain, at a sensible power-envelope. More likely in a field that isn't automotive and industry, where nobody wants to touch what works.

Newer features, ala 64-bit addressing and new OpenGL ES to stay compatible with various software and releases is the kicker.
Moreover, the same speed at lower heat anywhere means better battery-life.
Whatever the baseline with no load amounts to IMO matters more, as having the device powered on and idle varies greatly if any little thing uses more than it has to.

Like for like, using something more devices and projects are going with helps as a joint effort, and avoids some possible semi-unique problems. That many of these are Linux-based projects can be a lot more valuable than whatever specs something has.

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
Thanks a lot for bringing the updates over from Discord to the Boards, (and for your Porting work at the start of the Pyra deliefery)
Even if its on the actuall Pyra Mainboard gets a bit hotter than on the Developer Board and its not that many times faster, its still lot better than the Omap5, allthough i found the Omap5 allready quite usefull as a beginners CPU..
N900 has OMAP5 and runs fine with it. Sometimes the problem is not slow hardware but a game just not being retro enough.