Microsoft Exchange

banjeed

It's probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone's had experience using M$ exchange for email under linux and if it's even slightly feasible to run a supporting client under ARM linux (because I don't know of any).

banjeed said:
It's probably a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone's had experience using M$ exchange for email under linux and if it's even slightly feasible to run a supporting client under ARM linux (because I don't know of any).

I don't even know if anything other than Outlook supports it.... If you do know of something, please tell me. I am tired of using the lame defective web interface.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only Linux application I'm aware of as an exchange client is Evolution. I've used it with mixed success. I have no idea how much effort this would take to get running on Pandora though - I would be very interested to know.

I've been using Evolution with great success recently - particularly in Ubuntu. Although I can't comment on how/whether this will run on Pandora, I can honestly say that how Linux handles Exchange connections generally has dramatically improved over the last year or so.

Fingers crossed!

Thunderbird connects via IMAP though, right? Evolution uses the Exchange webmail interface, giving you a fair approximation of ActiveSync push.

Evolution is your best bet for Exchange support.

There is actually some work being done another UI for Evolution, aimed at nebook. It seems to be still very much in development but it might be nice to have it on the Pandora in the future.

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3863781
Anjal doesn't replace Evolution. Anjal is a lite UI built on top of Evolution and uses 95% of Evolution code for its experience. Anjal was built to suit the smaller screens and low memory devices. Particularly Netbooks and the mobile segments. It has a very interesting UI, that is TOUCHable and consumes less memory and deals efficiently on the real estate for the small screens.

Most exchange servers have a web interface which looks almost exactly like Outlook, check if yours has this and if so you can use Firefox!

Microsoft will cripple down the interface if you use Firefox. The resulting interface is more restrictive (i.e. more clicks to navigate in between folders) and it's not exactly the same as the one from Outlook...sad...

kikeminchas said:
Microsoft will cripple down the interface if you use Firefox. The resulting interface is more restrictive (i.e. more clicks to navigate in between folders) and it's not exactly the same as the one from Outlook...sad...

Sorry, I said looks almost the same, you would expect the web experience to function a bit differently. We use exchange at work and I use the web interface from home on Google Chrome and Firefox, and it's perfectly adequate :) .

The only main biggy of using exchange on a non IE browser would be connectors to things like sharepoint and your local MS Office applications won't work correctly, otherwise it's fine in my experience.

In order for me to view my work Exchange account I need to be connected via a VPN using a SecurID, are there any VPN clients we can use on Pandora?

sehs33 said:
In order for me to view my work Exchange account I need to be connected via a VPN using a SecurID, are there any VPN clients we can use on Pandora?
The inbuilt Network Manager applet that everyone will be using for connecting to Wifi, and bluetooth tethering, and all that fun stuff also supports VPN.

mindlord said:
The inbuilt Network Manager applet that everyone will be using for connecting to Wifi, and bluetooth tethering, and all that fun stuff also supports VPN.
Thanks for the reply mindlord, I just hope that our paranoid security experts are not putting other restrictions related to the VPN client that should be used.

sehs33 said:
mindlord said:
Thanks for the reply mindlord, I just hope that our paranoid security experts are not putting other restrictions related to the VPN client that should be used.
It's identical to the one included with Ubuntu (and many other flavors of Linux) so, if they are ok with that they should be ok with the one on the Pandora.

If java is working well on the pandora, then it is possible that this could help:
http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

It is a translator that acts as a server on your machine and allows you to use normal mail/groupware protocols (pop/imap/smtp/caldav/ldap) to access an Exchange Server. They offer architecture-specific downloads (none ARM), but it's a java app, so I don't know what's up with that. Anyway, the program is a little annoying (instead of running in the background, it has to be a systray icon and it pops up annoying talky bubbles from time to time), but it gets the job done, and configuration is pretty straightforward. Maybe it'll work.

Back