Pandora as monitoring server?

mclien

Very Active Member
as I just read that OMD ( http://omdistro.org/ ) has a raspberriPi version now ( https://labs.consol.de/lang/en/blog/nagios/omd-1-00-raspberry-pi-ist-fertig/), i came up with the idea to use my old Pandora classic for that.

here is the rought idea:

- installing pandebian

- using he mentioned repos to get OMD on the machine

- do some shell scripting to use the Pandora as alarmclock

- let the alarmclock display work as an Display for the monitoring (e.g. red instead of green background of the Time)

It's basicly because I use a linux notebook (old toshiba libretto with eisfair) as an alarmclock anyway. So I would juste exchange that one with the Pandora, get a less power consumpting device and having no extra machine running for monitoring.

I#m simply not sure, if it's worth the attempt according performance of the classic pandora)

Sounds like an awesome project. Be sure to take good notes if you do it so you can put together a tutorial style article afterwards. This is the kind of thing that will get the Pandora/Pyra more attention in the niche audiences so we can have a good community around the Pyra when it is available.

I used to monitor with 200Mhz machines. All you need is a good USB2-to-fast-ethernet-adapter, for a little throughput (I use a Logilink). You would probably run into problems if you monitor all the sites all at once, each 5 minutes, however, if you delay the check for each site by a minute, then on minute 1 site 1 is checked, on minute 2 the check scripts for site 2 kick off, etc. Remember that the OpenPandora is faster than the Raspberry Pi, and the Pi has a lot of monitors, that check webpages and diff them, then send triggers when the webpage changes. It will depend on the scale of the tests. A check for frontpage HTTP code 200, ms it takes to anwser (performance and capacity) and then write that down to HDD just takes less than 2 seconds. The problem is displaying the data later... that does take lots of computational power. (but then again, you can offload the data to a more powerful machine, just like those PI's video snaphots-when-movement-is-detected)

Also, heat will be a factor, as the USB gets warm when used (just make sure it has lots of air, or maybe use a sort USB extension cord to separate the usb-ethernet?). Not sure if you can disable it when not using it (maybe too much on off can kill it? But it would save some energy)

Yes, yes it is worth it! (if your Libretto dies, you have an immediate replacement)

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment II can't get my pandora working propperly after I dis- and reassembled it (hindge modification). As soon as it is done, I'll start.

The amount of load should work out, since I plan it (for the first step) as monitoring for my privat network at home.

Since I'm stuck with the diagnostic/repair of mx classic unit I gave it a try with my 1Ghz unit.

Installed pandian easily and than gave it a try with the rasperrypi repro from the OMDistro: https://labs.consol.de/repo/stable/

I added it to the sources.list, updatet with apt-get, but now I can't install it from there:

root@pandian:~# apt-get install omd-1.00
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
omd-1.00 : Depends: libperl5.14 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

but:

root@pandian:~# apt-cache search libperl5.14
libperl5.14 - shared Perl library

Or do I miss something basic with the use of apt-get? (on my otehr machines I sue aptitude most of the time)

Back