Midi In And Out With Atari Emulation...can It Be Done?

midiblip

Still Fresh
Hi everyone

For years I've wanted to use a touchscreen device on top of my midi keyboard that would let me run a sequencer. Laptops tend to be too big to put on the piano.....I've wanted something smaller. I've investigated certain things over the years...I've got a DS at the moment and you can run Nitrotracker over midi but it's not really like using Cubase or Emagic's Notator.

I see the GP2x can run Atari emulators..and Amiga...there's some terrific sequencers on those platforms already. The problem is getting midi out and in! Can it be done?

I see the GP2x has a usb breakout box. Is there anyone who would know if running midi out of this would be possible? It would be a dream come true device for someone like me...but I appreciate other people feel the GP2x screen is too small to run a sequencer sufficiently......I think it would be perfect ( especially the Gp2x F200 with it's touchscreen).

I do appreciate that the resolution of sequencers on Atari platforms is 600x400 which could cause a problem on a 320x240 screen, but there are sequencers that run in low res mode. Sweet 16 is a very good Atari sequencer like Notator..it's simple and light on resources and works really well.

I've done a search for midi in this forum and seen some comments.....any thoughts are appreciated from anyone who knows a bit about this. Thanks everyone.

The emu doesn't really do midi at this point; it probably wouldn't be too too hard to do it, but I've no way to test it out so likely someone else would have to pull it off :) I always lost interest since I'd never use it for this myself, and Notator/Cubase would be out (the resolution; I've tried running them.. brutal looking!) The others stunk AFAIK, but I've not been into MIDI since.. back then :)

Theres also STonX which I've not ported yet, but it'd be trivial; I've been hoping somedya to merge STonX into the OutcaST menu, but I don't have free time like I used to :) STonX does have primitive midi support IIRC, but not to a linux midi driver so some work as well.

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe in the near future?

http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.php?title=Midishare
I have ported MidiShare to ARM, using the GP2X as my primary development platform. With MidiShare and a compatible USB-MIDI interface (steinberg 2x2 and 4x4 confirmed working), you can use your GP2X as a powerful MIDI workstation .. this opens the door for all sorts of interesting Music apps to be created specifically for a pocketable, portable platform.

Thanks for the replies everyone...that's food for thought.
That midishare thing looks very interesting.
What would be good is a simple sort of sequencer....something like the Yamaha QY series or something....that would work on a small screen.
One can live in hope!

We did have a thread about this quite a while ago - possibly in'cool ideas..'. in News.
Can't remember what the upshot was; the baudrate was one obvious issue..

I think notator/cubase is out of the equation due to resolution.. in fact I think even Pro12/24 used medium res and not low..
Dunno if there are dongle-less 'versions' of these - I can remember there being quite a few sequencers, but once I got Pro24 never bothered to look at them (apart from jealously looking at my friend's Notator..!).

EDIT:
Link I was thinking of - there are many others..
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=34076&hl=

WarmFluffyUK said:
Wouldn't it be possible to use an external midi box connected to the USB port such as the midisport?

my understanding was that for the box to work you need software/drivers such as midishare in place. torpor was trying to port midishare at least a year ago...i posted an open question here but it didn't go anywhere, and i forgot to pm torpor :/

although my interests are more on the opposite end...the f200 with its touchscreen could be a cool way to carry software synths in your pocket, and the controllers with usb-midi onboard might just plug right in.

my usual rig (88-key rhodes mk1) is a little too big for a pocket. worth it though!

rokdcasbah said:
although my interests are more on the opposite end...the f200 with its touchscreen could be a cool way to carry software synths in your pocket, and the controllers with usb-midi onboard might just plug right in.

my usual rig (88-key rhodes mk1) is a little too big for a pocket. worth it though!

I hear you, on both counts :)

(I've just ordered a set of replacement funny rubber hammer tips for my Clavi D6)

Ahh a Rhodes 88. You lucky thing. And a Clav. cor!

You know if someone was able to get this going (midi) the GP2x could be a great little soundfont player.....ahh the possibilities!

MMM....you know I've just resized the sequencer Sweet 16 from a 600x400 to 320x240...it looks fine to me albeit a little small on screen. Sweet 16 is a good Notator replacement that is free/doesn't need a dongle. Can Outcast do mono on the GP2x? You can tell how desperate I am heheheh :)

midiblip said:
MMM....you know I've just resized the sequencer Sweet 16 from a 600x400 to 320x240...it looks fine to me albeit a little small on screen. Sweet 16 is a good Notator replacement that is free/doesn't need a dongle. Can Outcast do mono on the GP2x? You can tell how desperate I am heheheh :)

ST Hi-res (640x400) was excellent on an SM12x monitor - but the gp2x can only really do Low-res (atari=320x200 - ie gp2x=320x240).
Med-res (320x400) could be a good halfway house if we could scroll the screen vertically (not currently supported methinks).

Back