Midnight Commander On Gp2x?

drago

Still Fresh
Hello!
maybe anyone know, where can download a normal, working midnight commander, or other norton commander like shell for gp2x?
i using norton / volkov / midnight commander from approx a 1996, and i like a without hands, when i without them. i find only one strange, old version of mc for gp2x, but his not working. it is strange for me, this situation - i couldnt believe, as all gp2x users want only a games, and looking an a avi videos...:(
maybe anyone can help me?
thanks for your attention.

I don't think there is anything like it for the gp2x. You could try one of the pda OS (qtopia for example) ports but they are not really useful as they are very awkward to use.

The gp2x is a gaming handheld, made for homebrew and emulation purposes. So I can't see why you should be puzzled that people want to use it that way. It doesn't have a touch-screen, it doesn't have usb-host capability (which is a shame though).

Any arm-linux port of Midnight Commander should work, but you'll need a terminal emulator to run it in. There is a good one called Sterm.

I haven't tried that combination though. I will later after I've had enough of the GBAX entries :). If it doesn't work tell me and I'll fire up the compiler and see what I can do.

Midnight Commander for GP2X
Sterm for GP2X

this is also of high interest to me, for sorting samples to use with piggy tracker on my gp2x.

i hope a solution is close at hand!

now, off to make music :)

tnx to Blah, i run sterm, then cd .., then cd mc, and a ./mc - and midnight commander runs! but - screen look a garbage ( left and right panels), and in start process his write some text, last is 1xdev/share/xtfs/sfs.ini not found. early text fast scrolling out of screen, so i cannot read this. in pc on linux i can use shift + pageup for this situation, but on gp2x i dont know...and a screen garbage...maybe for mc is needed any libs / files?
thanks!

Yod4z said:
Enexfi is already a good file manager for gp2x ;)

yes, enexfi is far better than built-in "explorer", imho, but anyway mc is many, many times more functional and so, than an enexfi. in enexfi, for a example doesnt build-in an text editor....and text viewer...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Sterm doesn't work well enough for MC. I too would like a good file manager for GP2X. Perhaps I'll look into it again later.

GPFM was a great two pane file manager for the GP32 (just like norton etc), It could do all the usual stuff, Like cut, copy, move and delete files, launch applications, views images, plays mp3 and videos, and reads .txt documents at the same time as play mp3`s in the background if you so choose.

gp32_gpfm5.jpg

The main interface.

gp32_gpfm2.jpg

The main interface, Showing the context menu.

gp32_gpfm4.jpg

The built-in text reader.

I have no idea how possible it would be to port to the GP2x, But the source code is below if someone care`s to try.

GPFM source code

Trooper

Ah... so there is a midnight commander port for gp2x. I never knew. Sorry for the misinformation. Luckily there is a load of people here who know better ;-)

xnopasaranx said:
Ah... so there is a midnight commander port for gp2x. I never knew. Sorry for the misinformation. Luckily there is a load of people here who know better ;-)
Yeah but it doesn't work. (except through telnet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back