Milkytracker Experiences

SharQueDo

Still Fresh
Website
www.mineth.net
Hi,

Just wondering what people's experiences are about Milkytracker (v09085) on the Pandora, possibly compared to the GP2x?

I'm a(n amateur) music producer and I create tracker music on the PC, however I would like to have a handheld to play it during performances (instead of dragging my sluggish notebook to parties).

MilkyTracker runs on the GP2x (which I have, a GP2X-F100), albeit rather slowly and consumes a lot of battery power within a short time. How is the performance (speed, quality) and battery life (both when running audio applications like Milky and in general)? Any reviews or experiences? This might be the reason for me alone to order an OP. :)

vadsamoht said:
I don't have my unit yet, so I can't say for sure, but people have put some responses in these threads:

Midi?

Milkytracker

Yeah, but those topics (AFAIR) state that it just works, but I'm looking for extended experiences. Thanks though, I'll have a look at them again, but I want to know if Milky can run for extended hours of playing without hickups on large mods (32 tracks, effects everywhere) and without the battery dieing on me too soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
SharQueDo said:
but I want to know if Milky can run for extended hours of playing without hickups on large mods (32 tracks, effects everywhere) and without the battery dieing on me too soon.
I had for a while, a version of the zelda's games using *it files (converted from midi). Some of the track have more than 30 instruments (which converted do over 30 tracks :p), there was the games running and the software scaller, but the games was still running fullspeed (without overclocking).
In this configuration, the pandora would still offer about 7hs of gameplay.

Expect the same thing with milky imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I rather like MilkyTracker on mine.

I don't use it too often just because I've been spoiled by the larger display on my laptop (and my touch screen occasionally uncalibrates itself (?!)), but the Pandora version has been able to play everything I've asked it to (including some 4+ megabyte .xm files) without using too much battery up, and all panning, effects and envelopes are always spot-on. I have composed one song entirely on mine, as well as transcribed melodies I happened to come up with while out and didn't want to forget, and I've been very happy with it.

Milkytracker is AWESOME on the Pandora if you poke around with the settings you can set to 800x480 fullscreen, with headphones it sounds mint...

I can't see any reason for it to be drawing excessive battery power, in any case the Pandora battery is rather epic

Interested in doing some music for a freeware game I'm working on?

Back