Minimenu -- Likes And Dislikes? Requests?

I think you can hit B to select an option in the select menu as well, I just didn't update the comment :)

You can do theme hacking easily enough (copy a theme dir, then change it), but theresactually an (untested) wallpaper thing; in the conf UI there'll be a line that says where its looking for a wallpaper override; if it finds a file there, it'll use it. I had meant to make that a filename you could browse to and set, but right now its a hardcoded default location.

Easier than hacking a whole theme perhaps.. but not sure if it works or not :)

jeff

skeezix said:
I think you can hit B to select an option in the select menu as well, I just didn't update the comment :)

You can do theme hacking easily enough (copy a theme dir, then change it), but theresactually an (untested) wallpaper thing; in the conf UI there'll be a line that says where its looking for a wallpaper override; if it finds a file there, it'll use it. I had meant to make that a filename you could browse to and set, but right now its a hardcoded default location.

Easier than hacking a whole theme perhaps.. but not sure if it works or not :)

jeff
So no comment about my comments about your folder=Tab cat idea?

I thought your idea about that was pretty good. What do you think about my concerns/ideas on it? Or did that wall of text scare you from reading it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't figure it needed comment; you more or less got the gist of my post :)

I was figuring..

For any given searchpath (such as /pandora/menu and the others on all plugged in media) it woudl look for subdirs; the first subdir's pnd-files would become main categories; if any second relative dir, they would be subcats; third-level and so on would not factor in into the categorization system, but would just be for your own amusement (ie: for filing of appdata if you switch on appdata-in-same-place-as-pnd-mode).

ie:

/pandora/menu/games/fps/doom.pnd
or /pandora/menu/games/fps/doom/doom.pnd for you with appdata-nearby-mode

May need to add options to the config UI like..
use manual categorization <yes/no> -- default no (which would be as it is today)
suppress subcats <yes/no> -- default no (as it is today); if turned on, then subcats wouldnt' get tabs, but you could pull them up as hiddens using the select menu like today

I imagine if you're doing manual layouts, you don't need to suppress subcats likely (I don't much see the point of subcats at all if you're doing manual layout, but I've not thought about it too much.)

jeff

skeezix said:

I was figuring..

For any given searchpath (such as /pandora/menu and the others on all plugged in media) it woudl look for subdirs; the first subdir's pnd-files would become main categories; if any second relative dir, they would be subcats; third-level and so on would not factor in into the categorization system, but would just be for your own amusement (ie: for filing of appdata if you switch on appdata-in-same-place-as-pnd-mode).

ie:

use manual categorization <yes/no> -- default no (which would be as it is today)
suppress subcats <yes/no> -- default no (as it is today); if turned on, then subcats wouldnt' get tabs, but you could pull them up as hiddens using the select menu like today

I imagine if you're doing manual layouts, you don't need to suppress subcats likely (I don't much see the point of subcats at all if you're doing manual layout, but I've not thought about it too much.)

jeff
Ok ,please see the above post though about having stuff in a directory but not wanting to sub categorize that. Like if I just had a doom dir with all of the icon overrides etc but didn't want it to trigger a sub cat, BUT I still want the sub cat feature on for other stuff. In that case I suggested that dir to have a special char in front to tell mm not to make a sub cat for just that dir. Possible?

DaveC said:
skeezix said:

I was figuring..

ie:

jeff
Ok ,please see the above post though about having stuff in a directory but not wanting to sub categorize that. Like if I just had a doom dir with all of the icon overrides etc but didn't want it to trigger a sub cat, BUT I still want the sub cat feature on for other stuff. In that case I suggested that dir to have a special char in front to tell mm not to make a sub cat for just that dir. Possible?

oh, nice one; I'd imagine doing a menu optin woudl be easier than a special char no one would know about except those who read a manual (ie: 1 person) :)

- use manual categorization <yes/no>
- if yes, support subcats? <yes/no>

Done :)

ie: This would allow you to..

SP/game/doom.pnd or
SP/game/doom/doom.pnd <- not a subcat 'doom', since you turn 'if yes, support subcats' to no.

Unless you want to have _some_ subcats in some cases, and not in others, but I think that level of inconsistency would lead to madness, so shouldn't be done; it should be 'auto cat' using todays system, or manual cat, and in manual cat, have subs or not.

Cool?

jeff

skeezix said:
oh, nice one; I'd imagine doing a menu optin woudl be easier than a special char no one would know about except those who read a manual (ie: 1 person) :)

- use manual categorization <yes/no>
- if yes, support subcats? <yes/no>

Done :)

ie: This would allow you to..

SP/game/doom.pnd or
SP/game/doom/doom.pnd <- not a subcat 'doom', since you turn 'if yes, support subcats' to no.

Unless you want to have _some_ subcats in some cases, and not in others, but I think that level of inconsistency would lead to madness, so shouldn't be done; it should be 'auto cat' using todays system, or manual cat, and in manual cat, have subs or not.

Cool?

jeff
The problem:

I am not going to want to sub-catagorize emus. They would just have subdirs for their override icons, pics and if appdata can be there that too. So in this case I DON'T want subcats and would shut them off.

BUT for games I WOULD want subcats when they start getting large in number. I can see having a folder for RPGs, FPS, and Puzzle etc. So now I have to choose between having emus with one emu per sub-cat folder (dumb) , OR being able to have subcats for games, Or just leaving the dir structure a mess for the emus and throw all emus with their data files into one huge pile in the Emulator directory.

Maybe either have it so you could enable/disable subcat on a per tab basis or allow the special char (example _Hatari) and if people use it they do, if they don't know about it then nothing would be lost anyway as then it would be the same as not having the feature at all for them as you suggested. Having it doesn't cost anything. It is better to have it and not use it, than to want to use it but not have it.

The way you suggested will work too and that is ok. It just limits flexibility a bit but is still a good improvement.

Back