Missing Emulators

Didn't someone make a full ARM assembly core PC Engine emu for GP2X?
I seem to remember it ran at or close to fullspeed there, so I don't see why it wouldn't on the Pandora.

[quote name=quadomatic]Yes, they have PSX emulators on the iPhone (there is no PSX emulator on DS), the GP2X, the Dingoo etc. However, do any of them work this well:[/quote]

That's kind of an embarrassing question given that there's obviously room for improvement in that emulator's performance.

But yes, Dingoo, iPhone before 3GS, GP2X, and so on have much less CPU than Wii. Wii's CPU will also usually outpace Pandora's by a good margin, so it seems pretty natural to expect PS1 emulation to be an easy hit.

To everyone regarding PC-Engine emulation on Pandora - yes, it'll be Temper, no, it isn't a hard port, and the only thing that means anything to me for optimization over the other versions is video target + scaling (TI's texture streaming extension may be sufficient, otherwise a NEON routine for it will work fine, or a DSP routine if it's not too much work). Other than that Temper is far more than optimized enough. I'll probably want to add some simple enhancements to the gui too, for keyboard and touchscreen.

TylerAW said:
They say Quality over Quantity now a days and all I see is Quantity when it comes to Nintendo.
Now I have no idea if you are defending Nintendo are not here but if you are I will ignore it I get enough gamers constantly remembering Nintendo in their hey day rather than Sega or Atari. I can tell you my definition of casual
Cooking Mama
Education Games for DS
I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand this paragraph at all. Defending? Heyday? Ignoring? What on Earth?

Also, are you implying that you think that those games are made by Nintendo...?

And don't worry, I have no interest in being termed a gamer, given the connotations that have ended up going along with it these days. I come from before that was even a term that was used - when I'm from, it was "game-player", mostly. :)

And my definition of hardcore:
Zelda
God of War
most RPGs etc....
Indeed, and Zelda has fast become irrelevant since entering that definition rather than remaining closer to its arcade-style roots - they're looking at how the old games were made in order to identify where things have gone wrong, now. ;)

Anyway, my definition, if you're interested, is this: Video games. :p

You can be amused as much as you want but why is it that I don't find the Wii or DS appealing?
I don't know. That is a subjective thing, my friend. :) I'm sorry that you've not found games that you like within the very large selection of good games that are available - I've had great experiences, myself.

What do you call games like Cooking Mama?
"Not something I've tried". :p I have no real view other than, "It has sold and gained a fan-base, so it must have some sort of quality.".

I hope that answers your questions. :) And, everyone else, I'm sorry for the off-topic tangent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
TylerAW said:
They say Quality over Quantity now a days and all I see is Quantity when it comes to Nintendo.
Now I have no idea if you are defending Nintendo are not here but if you are I will ignore it I get enough gamers constantly remembering Nintendo in their hey day rather than Sega or Atari. I can tell you my definition of casual
Cooking Mama
Education Games for DS
I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid I don't understand this paragraph at all. Defending? Heyday? Ignoring? What on Earth?

Also, are you implying that you think that those games are made by Nintendo...?

And don't worry, I have no interest in being termed a gamer, given the connotations that have ended up going along with it these days. I come from before that was even a term that was used - when I'm from, it was "game-player", mostly. :)

And my definition of hardcore:
Zelda
God of War
most RPGs etc....
Indeed, and Zelda has fast become irrelevant since entering that definition rather than remaining closer to its arcade-style roots - they're looking at how the old games were made in order to identify where things have gone wrong, now. ;)

Anyway, my definition, if you're interested, is this: Video games. :p

You can be amused as much as you want but why is it that I don't find the Wii or DS appealing?
I don't know. That is a subjective thing, my friend. :) I'm sorry that you've not found games that you like within the very large selection of good games that are available - I've had great experiences, myself.

What do you call games like Cooking Mama?
"Not something I've tried". :p I have no real view other than, "It has sold and gained a fan-base, so it must have some sort of quality.".

I hope that answers your questions. :) And, everyone else, I'm sorry for the off-topic tangent.
I'm completly lost here I know people have their own opinions but it is not that complicated, Nintendo is deemed Casual atm I know you think that there is one category of games and thats games but to some people Cooking Mama is not a game :)

"Nintendo is deemed Casual"? No. Only by a select few. The rest of us out here are too busy just having fun, and just don't care for the labelling that such people throw around, to be honest. Perhaps this might more succinctly explain? :lol:

Anyway, that's covered by my original reply. I'm sorry that it lost you, but I hope you'll understand that I'm going to step out of this now, for want of not dragging this thread off-topic. :)

Prometheus said:
"Nintendo is deemed Casual"? No. Only by a select few. The rest of us out here are too busy just having fun, and just don't care for the labelling that such people throw around, to be honest. Perhaps this might more succinctly explain? :lol:

Anyway, that's covered by my original reply. I'm sorry that it lost you, but I hope you'll understand that I'm going to step out of this now, for want of not dragging this thread off-topic. :)
Are you trying to piss me off? :angry:

TylerAW said:
Prometheus said:

Are you trying to piss me off? :angry:
No, not at all, and I'm very sorry that you've perceived it that way.

Again, I'm sorry, but I don't want to drag this further off-topic: It's a thread about emulators that are missing from the lists on the wiki, and out of respect for the author and everyone contributing, it ought to stay that way.

Exophase said:
To everyone regarding PC-Engine emulation on Pandora - yes, it'll be Temper, no, it isn't a hard port, and the only thing that means anything to me for optimization over the other versions is video target + scaling (TI's texture streaming extension may be sufficient, otherwise a NEON routine for it will work fine, or a DSP routine if it's not too much work). Other than that Temper is far more than optimized enough. I'll probably want to add some simple enhancements to the gui too, for keyboard and touchscreen.

That will be nice to have as it was a great emu on the Wiz.

Will there be a possibility to add straight integer doubling (2:1 H,V ) as well? It will look nicer then using a generic TI feature that will just arbitrarily stretch it giving ugly un-even pixel sizes or blurry filtering.

That "generic TI feature" is just an OGL extension, you can still do an integer scale with point sampling.

Exophase said:

YOU ARE MY HERO SIR! Temper runs amazing on the GP2x, full speed perfecto. Thanks for working on this port!

I am not so much interested in the PSX games... 16 bit era was my favorite along wit the NeoGeo & Arcade games of that time.... the Pandora is going to be great for this!!!!!

I guess I need to start reading up on Temper. It's one of the things I've missed out on. :p The TG-16/PC-Engine is (are? :lol: ) quite new to me - a couple of years ago, I obtained one of the new-old-stock units from the PAL market test that happened back in the 90s, so it's all quite a recent part of my gaming experience. :lol:

Woah you actually bought a PCEngine? Cool!

I bought a Sega Saturn recently...only Sega system I didn't have (cept Master System and those 2 released before it...) but I haven't had the time to really play any games. I played Dragon Force one night. That was really fun. I mostly bought it for the arcade perfect ports of fighting games (especially since the controllers are so great!).

I thought about buying a PCEngine, but since I haven't had time to enjoy the Saturn, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Well, technically it's a PAL "Turbografx", which would have been the name the system would have had in PAL regions if it had gotten an official release in them (I'm not really sure why the changed it from TurboGrafx-16 for us). But again, that's off-topic, so I'll bow out again. :p

The TG16 got a bad rap for not being a "true" 16 bit console so the loss of the number was probably to avoid the argument over the authenticity of the original claims.

There are a lot of consoles and hardware emulators that we're getting, some we're not sure the Pandora can even handle yet and some I have a feeling some developers arent even thinking about for various reasons. For the time being though the major players are being covered it seems. I dont think we'll really know all of what's missing until the system is in our hands and we go looking for the current state of a reasonable emulator that we dont have.

quadomatic said:
Woah you actually bought a PCEngine? Cool!

I bought a Sega Saturn recently...only Sega system I didn't have (cept Master System and those 2 released before it...) but I haven't had the time to really play any games. I played Dragon Force one night. That was really fun. I mostly bought it for the arcade perfect ports of fighting games (especially since the controllers are so great!).

I thought about buying a PCEngine, but since I haven't had time to enjoy the Saturn, it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

You... you're kidding, right? You bought a SATURN!? Where on earth did you find one?! I want a Saturn too!!

quadomatic said:
I bought a Sega Saturn recently...only Sega system I didn't have (cept Master System and those 2 released before it...) but I haven't had the time to really play any games. I played Dragon Force one night.

Try and get hold of an analogue pad and a copy of NiGHTS into Dreams. Then brag about it to me. Then wonder why I seem so irritable in every response I ever make to you again (jealousy can be a nasty thing...)

Namo said:
You... you're kidding, right? You bought a SATURN!? Where on earth did you find one?! I want a Saturn too!!

http://video-games.shop.ebay.com/Sy...saturn&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Yea ebay is a lie.

All my gear that was purchased from e-bay doesn't exist.
And none of the stuff I ever sold arrived at its destination, either.

cixelsyd said:
Ok why not make new list here.

I start please continue with the missing ones and make one nice complete list here.
If i am wrong please feel free to correct me.
The names i gave here are just from the top of my head and are not single systems only.I also have no idea what system uses what emulator so i leave that for the people who know the complete.

Mame Multiple arcade: working
Mess Multiple computers emulation: ? I hope it is being ported.
Nintendo Gamboy: working
Nintendo Gamboy color: working
Nintendo advance: WIP
Nintendo DS: ?
Nintendo Nes: working
Nintendo Snes: WIP PandaSNES
Nintendo 64: working Mupen64plus
Nintendo Game cube: Possible?
Nintendo wii: not possible
Sega master system: working Psms
Sega Genesis: working Picodrive
Sega Saturn: ?
Sega Dreamcast: ?
Atari Jaguar: ?
MSX: ?
Neo Geo portable: ?
Wonderswan: ?
Dosbox: working
PS1: ?
PS2: possible?
PS3: Not possible
psp: WIP
Xbox: possible?
Xbox 360: not possible
Atari ST: working Hatari
ZX xpectrum: working Fuse
Amiga: working UAE4ALL
CBM 64: working ? VICE i hope or MESS

Well i leave it so far please make it a complete one.

There is THIS list that Prophet made like 3 years ago that I try to keep updated. feel free to point out any errors or omissions.

[edit] just noticed stella wasn't green lighted yet. anyone have the original link of when skeezix announced his port of it?

Back