MJ Ubuntu Tablet campaign has started

Askarus

Forum Addict!
UPDATE: Now here's the real campaign:
And it's only 200000$. Not 2.5 Million any more.
Will order now :)

The MJ Ubuntu Tablet fundraiser has launched: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/716fr1?fb_ref=share__45X8D2

Looks nice.

upload_2016-3-7_10-23-40.png

Last edited:
Yeah, 2,5 Million $ is ....
I was hoping to get one but I doubt they'll reach that goal within one month.

Is there a mention of when they hope to start shipping the finished product?

Can't help but think that this would have been a more successful project if they'd used existing hardware such as this and concentrated on the OS/Driver/Software side of things.

I doubt it'll work out. It would be great seeing Linux take off here, but whatever I have seen running of Ubuntu on any tablets was horrible :(

Did you see the latest Ubuntu convergence demo though ? it can switch between a desktop mode and a tablet mode seamlessly, a thing that iOS and Android can only dream of doing at this stage...

Can't help but think that this would have been a more successful project if they'd used existing hardware such as this and concentrated on the OS/Driver/Software side of things.

July 2016 if I remember correctly.

Reminds me of the Vivaldi tablet. With such a high target the outcome will probably be the same.

4 Days, 3 Backers, $1650 pledged, not too clever.

Linux fans where are you? Here's hoping they're all saving their money for Pyra.

Wonder if they should have included an option of an attachable MS Surface style type cover complete with keyboard and touch pad and pitched this as a direct Linux Competitor to the MS Surface.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to put Ubuntu/Linux onto existing tablets? There are a gazillion models out of it, for everyones taste.

Linux fans like keyboards maybe ? I don't own a tablet anymore and use a Thinkpad daily at home :p
This is true for me, too. Tablets are just a headache when I am trying to actually get something done. It might be good for watching things, like they did in 2001: A Space Odyssey, or light browsing.

Wouldn't it be much cheaper just to put Ubuntu/Linux onto existing tablets? There are a gazillion models out of it, for everyones taste.
Yep, using the money to create proper Linux drivers for the hardware of existing tablets would probably make more sense.

Wonder if they should have included an option of an attachable MS Surface style type cover complete with keyboard and touch pad.
Had another quick look at their campaign and this is in fact what they have done. :p

Linux fans like keyboards maybe ? I don't own a tablet anymore and use a Thinkpad daily at home
I think you're right, 3 backers & 3 keyboards claimed.

Maybe it's marketing where they are falling down, the $500 tablet + $49 docking keyboard seems like a good competitor to an MS Surface + Type cover to me.

I would like to see this be successful, even if I am not into Ubuntu or tablets. Anything to help free people from Microsoft is good.

the crowdfunding platform seems off. i'm not familiar with razr, but it looks to be more for raising health/family-funds...

That's pretty much what the guys developing the KDE/Vivaldi Tablet had planned. It worked out right until the manufacturer changed large parts of the internals without telling the development team.

Back