MJ Ubuntu Tablet campaign has started

According to Facebook they want to move the campaign to IndieGoGo.
For me that seems to be a good step. It might attract more attention.

Also they plan to make HDMI in also possible upon release.
Now it's getting VERY interesting for me...

Also they plan to make HDMI in also possible upon release.
Now it's getting VERY interesting for me...
Since tablets are mostly screens, I always wondered why they have no HDMI-in, you could build neat small modular arcade cabinets with such a screen and a console
- or hook up a Pyra.

I want to build a dual screen Linux Tablet like this one.
I wanted to use something like Idisplay.
Then I noticed there are lots of apps that turn our Apple or Microsoft tablet to a second screen but there's no solution for Linux...

Now I do hope that the Ubuntu Tablet can now be used as external Touchscreen via Hdmi and USB.
It has the best hardware out there (counting the USB ports), nice size and a good price.
Only thing missing is the possibility to use it as a second screen touchscreen for an other Linux Tablet.
That would be the perfect device for me and I'd instantly buy 2 of them.

I want to build a dual screen Linux Tablet like this one.
I wanted to use something like Idisplay.
Then I noticed there are lots of apps that turn our Apple or Microsoft tablet to a second screen but there's no solution for Linux...

Now I do hope that the Ubuntu Tablet can now be used as external Touchscreen via Hdmi and USB.
It has the best hardware out there (counting the USB ports), nice size and a good price.
Only thing missing is the possibility to use it as a second screen touchscreen for an other Linux Tablet.
That would be the perfect device for me and I'd instantly buy 2 of them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xdmx

According to Facebook they want to move the campaign to IndieGoGo.
For me that seems to be a good step. It might attract more attention.
They might even double their number of backers to er, 6 ;)

From my perspective they could really make a go of this if they marketed it as the Linux equivalent of the MS Surface and made the default option include their 'type cover'.

They might even double their number of backers to er, 6 ;)

From my perspective they could really make a go of this if they marketed it as the Linux equivalent of the MS Surface and made the default option include their 'type cover'.

They state that it's also possible to run Microsoft.
So they could simply say they have the better hardware.
Things that really matter like 3 USB ports and 256 GB SSD gor 499$.

I think you may be right here. I don't know how much more of a user base Linux has now, or how many people really prefer it over Windows, but it seems it is now more well known than a dozen or so years ago. I think MS may have scared off a small number of their customers with Windows 10, so perhaps those people would be interested in an alternative. I wouldn't really be interested in the keyboard cover, probably the exception there, so it would probably be good for people looking for something like this.

They state that it's also possible to run Microsoft.
So they could simply say they have the better hardware.
Things that really matter like 3 USB ports and 256 GB SSD gor 499$.
This is where they would get me. I am not really interested in a tablet, however the HDMI in got my attention, and it could be convenient. Little things like that and plenty of USB ports are far more important to me, and if I have choices for my OS they would get my vote. (I am not interested in Ubuntu, and don't know if they are doing something to keep you using it, but if they are saying you can but Windows on it other distros and such shouldn't be too difficult.)

This is where they would get me. I am not really interested in a tablet, however the HDMI in got my attention, and it could be convenient. Little things like that and plenty of USB ports are far more important to me, and if I have choices for my OS they would get my vote. (I am not interested in Ubuntu, and don't know if they are doing something to keep you using it, but if they are saying you can but Windows on it other distros and such shouldn't be too difficult.)

According to their new marketing video they do support many Linux distributions as well as Dual boot with Windows.

Here's a video running Mint.

I really love that tablet.

I've read "worlds first true" and instantly lost interest.

I don't care about what they say. I only care about specs. And those are amazing :).
They fit my need for 90%.
11 inch would be great, full SD-Card slot and Sim Slot.
But the rest is perfect. Especially HDMI in.

No 'true' digitizer, no touchy...

but i hope this is a success anyway because I would like to see more competitors to the Surface line...

but what digitizer can they use now ntrig is owned by Microsoft?

Wacom will be pricey and they will drag their feet deliberately on the drivers.
Those bastards really need to be taken down a notch.

I dispise monopolies that take advantage of their stranglehold to sit on their arses.

Lazy bums.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

No 'true' digitizer, no touchy...

but i hope this is a success anyway because I would like to see more competitors to the Surface line...

but what digitizer can they use now ntrig is owned by Microsoft?

Wacom will be pricey and they will drag their feet deliberately on the drivers.
Those bastards really need to be taken down a notch.

I dispise monopolies that take advantage of their stranglehold to sit on their arses.

Lazy bums.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk

Yes, the digitizer is missing. Forgot that. It would be great to have one but hard to get. And for my purpose it should be fine without.

EDIT: Here are some nice pens that look a lot better than the common ones.

I've read "worlds first true" and instantly lost interest.
I was going to make a "World's First False x86* Tablet" joke, but your comment drew my attention to the fact that they are in need of some punctuation.:(

Yes, the digitizer is missing. Forgot that. It would be great to have one but hard to get. And for my purpose it should be fine without.

EDIT: Here are some nice pens that look a lot better than the common ones.
Hmm... none of those gave me any hope... perhaps the $200 ones *yikes* ... anyone feel like grabbing one of those and doing a hands on review for me?

So now the price of the whole package is getting silly... for what i would bet is a very sub par drawing experience...

At this point I would just pick up a Surface Pro 2 and trick it out (which I did)...
and install Linux on it (which I haven't yet).

Edit: Because the only reason I use a tablet form factor as opposed to the far more practical, capable, and serviceable laptop form factor is so I can use it as an Artpad...

Take that all important feature away and I just don't see the point.

Last edited:
Back