Mk3?

The GP2x joystick would benefit sooo much from having a rubber thumbstick cap (like the Xbox 360 for example). One of the major problems for me is my thumb slipping off it all the time. My day job involves testing acid with my fingers, hence I have zero grip on my thumb A or thumb B (left hand).

I once knew a lad who had a thumb C on his right hand. It wasn't that big, but still very obvious. He used to hide has hand under his sleeve which he would stretch over it. Far from looking normal, it made it look like his right arm was an inch shorter.

DaveC posted on Sep 7 2006 at 01:30 AM said:
From what I have heard the MK3 will be exactly the same as MK2 except for the d-pad :p

(dont we wish)

I would buy another one if they did. I'm almost tempted to buy a mk2 for the slightly better stick, but that seems a bit extreme - but would definately buy a d-pad version. And I guess I'm not quite the only one so they could get some double sales that way.

It could be bit like re-issuing music on the latest format - like when people had albums on vinyl but re-bought the same ones when CDs came out.

I appreciate the chances are slim to anorexic... and I see there are a few people who do like the stick but its seems the majority would prefer a d-pad. But I doubt 'consumer power' will get us very far in this instance so we have to hold out our hopes for a mod kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
ste_167 posted on Sep 7 2006 at 01:18 PM said:
The GP2x joystick would benefit sooo much from having a rubber thumbstick cap (like the Xbox 360 for example). One of the major problems for me is my thumb slipping off it all the time. My day job involves testing acid with my fingers, hence I have zero grip on my thumb A or thumb B (left hand).

I once knew a lad who had a thumb C on his right hand. It wasn't that big, but still very obvious. He used to hide has hand under his sleeve which he would stretch over it. Far from looking normal, it made it look like his right arm was an inch shorter.
ehm... whats a thumb A, B or C? o_O

aapje89 posted on Sep 7 2006 at 06:04 AM said:

Right, left, birth defect?

g4m3r posted on Sep 7 2006 at 03:12 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Sep 7 2006 at 06:04 AM said:

Right, left, birth defect?
Seriously?, never heard of that.

afaik this third batch is the same MKII gp2x but with usb host power on EXT port

they started to sell these in middle july/06, perhaps it has(have?) a different version number in Info menu, don't recall exactly where I've read about this July story..

and a D-pad is far beyond a stick when playing games like SF2 or that cliff stage on DooM 2, it's cheaper, it has quickier response (and no bounce delay, like when you have to press up-down-up-down fast), so if they start to sell D-pad based GP2X I'm sure to get a brand new one

Lint posted on Sep 7 2006 at 12:12 PM said:
afaik this third batch is the same MKII gp2x but with usb host power on EXT port

they started to sell these in middle july/06, perhaps it has(have?) a different version number in Info menu, don't recall exactly where I've read about this July story..

and a D-pad is far beyond a stick when playing games like SF2 or that cliff stage on DooM 2, it's cheaper, it has quickier response (and no bounce delay, like when you have to press up-down-up-down fast), so if they start to sell D-pad based GP2X I'm sure to get a brand new one

When someone like ED set's up shop for a DPad service, I'll get it for my GP2X, because I like my MK1 screen. Also I have to get around to fixing the Headphone socket, the connection doesn't work anymore =(

I'd love to see an mk3 with some hardware improvements. I'd really like to see better use of the battery life system, the life meter is very innacurate and it would be nice to have a better low batt warning (the LED doesnt come on till its already losing playability).

The hardware is still suprisingly decent though, I am very impressed with what Gamepark has done. The S-vid output is a nice quality touch too. I want to see if I can extract RGB from the sucker for true video output :)

-Segasonicfan

Back