GP2X Mmu Hack Working?

rlyeh

Certified Guru
49°9' East latitude, 126°43' South longitude: in y
Website
www.retrodev.info
Hello,

I've tried MMU Hack for first time by using original Squidge's source, Reesy's modified source, and two versions of NK's mmuhack.o.

My problem is that the benchmarks work exactly the same as fast with or without using any mmu hack:

The upper memory gives about 2 mbps (read), 8 mbps (write), and 5 mbps (combine).
The lower one gives about 10 mbps (read), 21 (write) and 5 mbps (combine).

I guess I should get the upper memory values improved someway by using any of the given solutions, but I don't find any improvement at all

Any ideas?

PS: I'm sure I'm using ok each library/.o

[OFF TOPIC]
lockwood posted on Oct 20 2006 at 02:19 PM said:
FW 2.10 doesn't support MMU hack :(
i think it depend on the dev implementation of the MMU hack ;) DrMdx don't work but Picodrive, MAMEGP2x and Gngeo that use it work realy good ;)
[/OFFTOPIC]

Last edited by a moderator:
rlyeh posted on Oct 20 2006 at 01:05 PM said:
Hello,

I've tried MMU Hack for first time by using original Squidge's source, Reesy's modified source, and two versions of NK's mmuhack.o.

My problem is that the benchmarks work exactly the same as fast with or without using any mmu hack:

The upper memory gives about 2 mbps (read), 8 mbps (write), and 5 mbps (combine).
The lower one gives about 10 mbps (read), 21 (write) and 5 mbps (combine).

I guess I should get the upper memory values improved someway by using any of the given solutions, but I don't find any improvement at all

Any ideas?

PS: I'm sure I'm using ok each library/.o

1. Use the mmuhack.o that comes with MAME GP2X 3.1 binary download (and source code). It hacks the whole range of high memory (0x2000000 to 0x3FFFFFF). The majority of MMU hacks don't hack the 0x2000000 to 0x2FFFFFF memory range. Maybe this is your problem. Regards.

2. Apply the MMU Hack once at the beginning of the progrma (after all mmap() and before any malloc() or memset()). It should work.

PD in spanish: Manda huevos, respondiendo al Ryleh en un foro guiri y contestando en guiri xD. Salu2

Some stuff doesn't seem to benefit at all from the hack while other stuff is much faster. Vobbo's PC-engine emu had no speed difference when using the hack while GnGeo went from a choppy mess to very smooth. I guess it depends how the memory is used or something such as that as to whether it makes a speed difference or not.

Well, I know it depends of the program but I was not talking about using MMU hack in any of my progs.
I meant about using MMU hack with its *own* benchmark program.

I've tried 5 different mmu hacks (squidge's+reesy's+3 nk's) with Squidge's benchmark.
MMU hack does not work at all for me with the original sources & tests.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong: Maybe my compilation settings?

Any help is welcome.

rlyeh posted on Oct 21 2006 at 09:50 PM said:
Well, I know it depends of the program but I was not talking about using MMU hack in any of my progs.
I meant about using MMU hack with its *own* benchmark program.

I've tried 5 different mmu hacks (squidge's+reesy's+3 nk's) with Squidge's benchmark.
MMU hack does not work at all for me with the original sources & tests.
I have no idea what I'm doing wrong: Maybe my compilation settings?

Any help is welcome.
I think that if you follow Franxis' instruction it should work.
Maybe you can post your code so we can look at it?

Back