Moderator needed!

I'm not really in a position to take on many more responsibilities at the moment (due to real life)

If the moderation team were to expand a bit (maybe another 4 or 5) I'd be happy to be one of those.

If not, ask again in six months' time, if you still think I'd be a good mod :)

Heres a rough list of people nominated so far:

Sony

2bit

Trashy mg

vcolerio

f-zero

Wrath of khan

quartercast

Binky (see above)

ekianjo

mcobit

askarus

slaeshjag

_wb_

linux_swat

wizardstan

exophase

notaz

skeezix

foxblock

pmprog

dredd

b-zar

quartercast

So feel free to make me a mod, but please also give mod powers to several other people like WizardStan, ExoPhase, notaz, mcobit, Askarus, skeezix, foxblock, pmprog, DREDD, Linux-SWAT, B-ZaR, Binky, ekianjo, etc. I'd rather have 10 somewhat active mods than 2 or 3 hyperactive mods who inevitably get tired of all that modding at some point.

I agree with this. Both for the reasons given here, and to help avoid what ZXDunny refers to - The possibility that a mod (any mod, not particularily _wb_) uses the mod powers to favor themselves. One of the ideas with a mod team is that if there are enough of them, they will also be able to police themselves, so to speak.

I've been a bit too distant from the forums lately to be able to nominate anybody over any other, but I certainly think that many of the names mentioned would work excellently. Including _wb_. I'd like to nominate Prometheus and TelcoLou, but they're not around, are they...

I agree that is a good idea too, to spread the responsibility across a larger number of fairly active people.

true...

perhaps curb it at a few then, 4 or 5?

wouldn't want to spoil the broth.

I dunno... but somebody please do something... there are way too many threads devolving into political/religious/whatever diatribes.

cb

I dunno... but somebody please do something... there are way too many threads devolving into political/religious/whatever diatribes.

cb
Well, there's a bit life in here, what's wrong with that?

Difficult discussions show the true nature of people and for me it's especcially interesting. :)

The one from today also reminded me of this, maybe our Rep thinks this way about us Europeans:

http://mediamatters.org/video/2010/04/08/on-oreilly-british-american-varney-calls-europe/162926

Last edited by a moderator:
After recently looking at the disaster that were the "Give me one reason..."-thread, I was prepared to turn myself in as a mod just to be able to close these kind of things with a big effin hammer. Oh dear, oh dear.

Now ED has closed it, so perhaps I need not be that desperate, but I realise the need, now.

Gonna turn down my nomination too, I don't think I'd be a good mod and I don't really need the responsibility atm >_>

Gonna turn down my nomination too, I don't think I'd be a good mod and I don't really need the responsibility atm >_>

I prefer you spend your time with notaz to work on great emulators instead on bad posts ;) .

I read the boards on weekdays and am located in the US. :)  

I'm not "neutral" at all, so if that's a requirement for being a mod, then please don't make me a mod. I have quite strong feelings about several topics, including politics, religion and software licenses ;)

However I would never use mod powers to push my views in any way. I would strictly use it only to keep spam and insults away, keep threads somewhat on topic, move threads to the correct subforum or split subdiscussions away from a main thread, and stuff like that.

If there are disagreements being discussed, I don't think it's the task of mods to "settle" discussions by closing the thread and declaring a winner, or something like that. That would be severe mod abuse in my opinion. The only thing a mod needs to do in such cases is ensure that the discussion remains civilized and on-topic. If all goes well, such threads bring out the best arguments for each point of view, which is great: each reader can then arrive at their own conclusion, depending on which arguments he/she thinks are most convincing.

Anyway, I don't think ZXDunny is more "neutral" than me, but I think he would also be a good mod.
What the hell has happened to the reply system? There's no quote tags. Damnit, everything above this line is from _wb_. Who broke the bloody board this time?

Anyway, Damn You _WB_ for being so bloody reasonable. If anyone wants me as a mod, then I'll only do it if I'm counterbalanced by _wb_ or that other OSS fellow with the socks and sandals on.

D.

(for some reason the quote remains on the bottom)

You can always be assigned to the other OS section or a subsection of it

I'm not "neutral" at all, so if that's a requirement for being a mod, then please don't make me a mod. I have quite strong feelings about several topics, including politics, religion and software licenses ;)

Is it me, or have all the quotes on this page gone weird?

When I comes to modding the mods, couldn't we just moderate each-other?

Just be nice towards each other, regardless of the topic. ;)

Actually, i have seen many tech-related threads, going way more out of bound, than the political one from yesterday.

What the hell has happened to the reply system? There's no quote tags. Damnit, everything above this line is from _wb_. Who broke the bloody board this time?
That's probably coming from the new board upgrade... why does IPB break so many things? :/

I tried a fix and it seems to work for me now, though it's still a bit weird.

In worst case you can disable the RTE with the top left button. 

That's probably coming from the new board upgrade... why does IPB break so many things? :/

I tried a fix and it seems to work for me now, though it's still a bit weird.

In worst case you can disable the RTE with the top left button. 
Nope, not working at all :(

D.

Back