Moderator needed!

After recently looking at the disaster that were the "Give me one reason..."-thread, I was prepared to turn myself in as a mod just to be able to close these kind of things with a big effin hammer. Oh dear, oh dear.

Now ED has closed it, so perhaps I need not be that desperate, but I realise the need, now.
/end of quote

well, it's nice ED closed it, but you realize, it's not a good idea to have ED serve as a mod and it really shows how other mods are needed

I know most of you don't really know me, but I feel that I would be a good mod.
Whoa, that's how dictatorships start, by asking for power...

lol, just kidding.

ED, I think you should pick several of the recommendations, the mods then don't have to be "full time" monitoring the boards, most will be able to just fix things as they see them.

I was just thinking:

Maybe ED should state his own recommendations/nominees, and see how people react to them? Or would that show too much favoritism?
Well in any case, here are my recommendations (not in any particular order):

mcobit (though seems somewhat reluctant?)
Exophase (even more reluctant)
elwing (edit: also reluctant)

WizardStan

There are others, but I think anyone getting Mod rights will also end up self-regulating their own posts, somewhat (maybe even un-intentionally). Which would skew the discussions, and I personally wouldn't like that. The ones I listed already post in quite a balanced and/or non-biased manner, so there wouldn't be that big of a change in character/personality...

Last edited by a moderator:
Even a mod should be allowed wo post his opinions, as long as he does it according to the rules,

but characters with strong opinions always create trouble, because they seem to provoke a less nice behavior in others.

I've been a mod in some chats and boards over the years, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone, that has opinions and the urge to tell them in any way. ^^

Moxie is also another nominee for me :)  

@Klumpen thanks. People please take note.. When you come whinging to me via PM I don't really give a shit :)  

Well, if you get a team together, I can do what I can.

But I cannot be the only mod with Wally.

Is it me, or have all the quotes on this page gone weird?
When I comes to modding the mods, couldn't we just moderate each-other?

This is what happens when i Quote from the mobile version of the site.

How much time is needed for moderation, normally (Wally?) -- the idea of going through a 10page thread to split it into two threads gives me the willies; I only get a few hours reliable sleep a night for the last year, so any non-family time I get (not much) I spend coding or playing Civilization ;) I don't think I can handle more responsibility.

(I've got enough diapers to change every day, without changing your guys ;)

jeff

It depends. When there are a lot of mods sharing the work, you need less time. So I think 3 or 4 should be a good value.

/me considers...

Are there guidelines/moderation policies available?

I'm not sure if I'd like to have to decide how far was 'far enough' by myself.

If there were to be another 3 active mods, I'd be happy to be one of them

I don't really have any prior experience with this sort of thing, so my posts are the only way to know if I'd be a good mod :)

How much time is needed for moderation, normally (Wally?) -- the idea of going through a 10page thread to split it into two threads gives me the willies; I only get a few hours reliable sleep a night for the last year, so any non-family time I get (not much) I spend coding or playing Civilization ;) I don't think I can handle more responsibility.

(I've got enough diapers to change every day, without changing your guys ;)

jeff
Well it all depends on what sort of threads are there.. Probably takes a good 2 hours out of my day if not more when listening to arguments, getting PMed abuse because I locked the topic, checking trading threads for consistency, coping more abuse for closing some trading threads. Getting PMs instead of reports, closing reports, reading long reports..

All these things happen randomly and yeah i'm getting a bit sick of handling everything myself.

I will be taking some days off the forums 27th Dec 2012 - 4th Jan 2013 to recover from this crazy year (Where I had to reapply for my own job and yes I was successful). Hopefully when I get back I will be rested (finally!) and be able to get stuck into it. |

If anyone needs a hand learning the ropes i'm more than happy to walk them through it. (Directed at binky) ;)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SONY" data-cid="209028" data-time="1356137616"><p>

Congrats on your job re-application success, Walls.</p></blockquote>

I nominate this guy ! :)

Due to him having been a mod before

Back