Mojang getting bought by Microsoft (title edited)

@Moxie: Open-sourceing stuff doesn't necessarily mean throwing the responisbility unto the community. It can also work in a similar way to how Canonical does with Ubuntu, Mojang could be the main maintainer and suport team while the community would be contributing to the development and support from their side.
Yeah. It would sure be work to change the type of business /completely/, which he maybe didn't want to put in. He could have let his employees (those who want to stay) do it, though, I would say.
And I bet a lot of people would have offered their friendly advice if he tried something like this.

@rygD: Yeah, you're right. Crap, somehow that managed to slip away from my memory, sorry for doing a pointless repost. :wacko:

@Moxie: I agree with you that at present time selling the company was the only reasonable course of action.

But what i was thinking is that maybe if Notch had done something like open sourcing Minecraft at the right time (perhaps, around when Minecraft started growing way beyond what was anticipated), he could have slowly started pointing Mojang in a direction that would allow the game to eventually be partially maintained by the community, possibly relieving him of some stress in the process.

To be honest though, i am not sure of how financial issues of such a change could have been resolved (i am no expert in the field), but perhaps previous profits and some interested investors could have shown up (there's no way of really knowing for sure afterall). Maybe even at one point the community itself would have been interested and start supporting Mojang through some sort of a croundfunding or something.

Eitherway, all of this is nothing but speculations really (seeing something like this would be quite interesting though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would have been cool, and possibly greatly beneficial, if Minecraft/Mojang had gone down the path of Canonical.  Perhaps it could have led to more popular games with close ties to their community, allowing more input on the game design and such.  I don't know if what I am saying makes sense, or if it would work, but it be would nice to see a decent sized group of people working on making a game, and being able to influence the "final" form it will take, while still getting a bit of money and support from a company larger than themselves to do this.  

This has probably already been done many times.  I don't know.  I am just going to go over here. *runs away*

He could probably move to the middle of nowhere and lock himself away behind a wall with paid security guards.

Make the guards robots and it's actually a tempting thought.
128894139348288857.jpg

I think we all want the robots.

Maybe he could get a bunch of T-800s for the security guards!

I would imagine some T-800s who look like Creepers and are programmed to behave like them. Not nessecarlily because it's Notch they would be guarding, but perhaps as means of psycological warfare against anyone nagging about Minecraft (i would say the robots won't even have to explode as hard).

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll be renamed to ClippyCraft and that turd will be like Navi from Zelda. "Would you like help killing this skeleton", "Oh shit you died.. Should I help you find your stuff?"
Steve got your back, bro:
2017-10-20_22.png

Please Steve, I'm not a hammer! Ouch! Nooo!

Back