More Admins's For The Download Server!

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
I uploaded a file early in the week and not to spam the server I actually updated the previous release.
It's been a couple days so far and still there hasnt been any approval of the new file.
Is ED the only person that has the ability to approve these? Cant we have a couple more people with admin right's so that the server can be maintained? Or even allow the original submitter to always update the file?

I think the system is flawed. Like i mentioned before I could have very easily created a new entry and had the file up in minutes rather than days.

Yeah, this is incredibly annoying. That's why I moved the hosting of my project off to my own server as soon as I found it out. When I do an announcement, I put in the URL for my server (instantly updated) and the archive, along with a warning of "give it a day or two for it to appear on the archive). Human moderation is too slow, especially when a "new" file seems to be put into the archive without the moderation delay at all!

Plus, all my old links for previous versions broke because I uploaded beta3 as a new version and someone deleted the links for the previous beta's because of it. So the URL changed and a lot of links just led to a blank page. This is why I don't bother with the archive any more unless I'm downloading something.

I volunteer to help monitor the archive updates, if ED approves :)

Errm, I check the updates at least once a day, normally.

Problem is, there is a bug in cfiles which means that I have to manually rename the file on the server using my master FTP Account - therefore I can't have more admins.

If anybody wants to fix that on a ca. 200kb Perl script, I'd be happy to have more admins.

There are currently two updates waiting for approval (Wolf3D and Football2x) which I will approve as soon as I get home and can access the FTP Server...

EvilDragon said:
Errm, I check the updates at least once a day, normally.

Problem is, there is a bug in cfiles which means that I have to manually rename the file on the server using my master FTP Account - therefore I can't have more admins.

If anybody wants to fix that on a ca. 200kb Perl script, I'd be happy to have more admins.

There are currently two updates waiting for approval (Wolf3D and Football2x) which I will approve as soon as I get home and can access the FTP Server...
Thank you for the explanation. I hope we can find someone that could into this. Sure would be a very nice improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try to implement an eMail routine, so that I get an eMail when I need to approve something. That should be possible and it'll definately speed up everything :)

EvilDragon said:
I'll try to implement an eMail routine, so that I get an eMail when I need to approve something. That should be possible and it'll definately speed up everything :)

Just give me your email address :p

Joking aside thanks for jumping on this. Any improvement will be helpful.

EvilDragon said:
What's wrong with the PERL code? What is it doing incorrectly? I do a fair bit of PERL work so perhaps I could see what's wrong?

Back